3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty question for towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty question for towing

Can I get a smarty for an 06 dodge cummins that leaves the stock fueling management with added 30 hp and added timing for enhanced towing but not hurt the drive train?

Or even just timing for better fuel mileage. Don't want to have to modify any other components. I just want better fuel mileage towing.

Is there anything better out there for towing and getting better fuel mileage without damaging other drive line components.

I don't want to have to install gauges either. That's why I want a box or programmer for fuel mileage increase only.

If I need to install gauges I'll just buy an Edge Juice with attitude. I know a place that sells them for the same price as a smarty.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 AM

I think the J/A is your best bet. Any time you turn a truck up you need gauges, bang for the buck and all the saftey built in I would say that is your best bet. I had one and liked it just wanted more.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
Can I get a smarty for an 06 dodge cummins that leaves the stock fueling management with added 30 hp and added timing for enhanced towing but not hurt the drive train?

Or even just timing for better fuel mileage. Don't want to have to modify any other components. I just want better fuel mileage towing.

Is there anything better out there for towing and getting better fuel mileage without damaging other drive line components.

I don't want to have to install gauges either. That's why I want a box or programmer for fuel mileage increase only.

If I need to install gauges I'll just buy an Edge Juice with attitude. I know a place that sells them for the same price as a smarty.
Towing with the smarty (stock or mild tq mgmt) level 1 would be fine (30 hp + timming) from an egt perspective, but you never know and i wouldnt want to tow over the grapevine without an egt guage, even in a stock truck....so i'd say you need an egt guage period, regardless of what perf box / dl....

a rokkteck timming device will allow you to adjust the timming only and wont strain the driveline and they're inexpensive.....not sure how much they impact perf / mileage...

That being said, i'd vote for smarty ($700) with an egt guage in a srt pilliar mount ($150)....then use it on level 1 or 3 (depending upon how much your towing)...and get a very nice perfromance / mileage / drivability enhancement....without having to remove the box/attitude for dealer service...

Don't think you can go wrong with either the j/a or smarty...or quad xzt....

JG
Old 01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

I guess at this moment I'am leaning more toward the edge juice with attitude (unless you guys can persuade me differently) because I know how important it is to monitor engine functions while towing. I can get the edge juice/attitude combo for $683.00

I had a modified 99 and loved it, just didn't care for the aftermarket transmission I had put in or the customer service. But that of a different thread.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
I guess at this moment I'am leaning more toward the edge juice with attitude (unless you guys can persuade me differently) because I know how important it is to monitor engine functions while towing. I can get the edge juice/attitude combo for $683.00

I had a modified 99 and loved it, just didn't care for the aftermarket transmission I had put in or the customer service. But that of a different thread.
Theres only a $150 pricing difference, so wouldnt let the $'s make up your mind...recommend you do a search on smarty and Juice and see what people think about them....

Just thought about this....look at your trucks data plate and find the build date and call edge and see if they have the updated software for it....I know there was a problem with the newer 06's and the J/A didnt work on them....they were working on a fix (new software)....not sure if it's out yet or if you $683 deal will be the correct version.....