3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Towing w/ Smarty - Questions about certain SMARTY settings

Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Towing w/ Smarty - Questions about certain SMARTY settings

Hey guys,

What exactly are the differences with SMARTY's TQ Management settings and how would they affect my EGTs and towing?

Right now, when I am at a GCVWR of around 24,000 I notice that I must downshift out of 6th and into 5th up long hills and that my EGT gauge gets right to 1400 or 1450 with no problem. I am trying to keep this down, but when I use my Snow kit, I go through 1 gallon of my washer fluid in two long hills!

I currently am running Wild #3 (after running Wild #9). What kind of differences would I see in performance and EGTs if I started changing the TQ Management setting AND/OR the program #. For instance, would I be better off with mild TQ MNGMT and #7 or #9 as opposed to Wild and #3 or should I step everything down?

I am just curious because I don't have the luxury of trying the same hills over and over again trying to figure out what is "right".

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

From what I hear get used to using the washer fluid.. It goes fast.. Most guys I've talked to find a way to get a bigger tank!! I am currently trying the same set up tooo See what my temps vary with different settings... I went from beta 4.4 to moderate torque management.. so we'll see!!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like Shane, I went from Beta 4.4 but went to mild TQ management but also went with aftermarket injectors (even though it's stock injectors) with aftermarket turbo. This produces less smoke for me. I tow on level 4 and use banks for extra when I need it. I don't tow as heavy as you, (between 8-9500lbs), but am in altitude (3000-8000ft) lots of up and down in the Sierras. No water, but egts rarely reach 1300.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 PM

So the concensus is my best bet is probably somewhere in the moderate TQ management programs? Am I likely to have more EGT issues with mod tq and a high # or wild tq and a low #? I guess I just don't understand what the tq mngmt does.

What numbers are you using on your mod tq level?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 AM

Wiggsy,
I have a 30gallon SS tank expressly for towing with....If I use Beta 4.4 on level 3 towing 20 to 25k then I can go through that whole tank in 2000miles or less. I personally wouldn't use washer fluid in summer at more than 20%...I use water as I just want it for cooling....don't need the other gunk in the fluid. When towing...even with lots of mods....you need to keep the EGT's less than 1250 IMHO. It is way different than running around empty during play time. Water is a necessity if you want to tow hard with big injectors and fuel flow. Timing just won't help you that much mile after mile. Water is free power. Once the block and intake become heat soaked...water evaporation is your only way to get it cooled. I'd find a discrete spot under the truck to place a 10 gallon tank at least. Kerry
Old 08-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What size Flux injectors are you running? If its the 4's or 5's I would think towing hot is going to be normal. At some point I would think no matter what size twins your running when towing heavy under constant load you are going to get hot. Even with lots of water you may be fighting a loosing battle, but hey Ive been wrong before and I usually am .
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Banned

Try running stock for one run. You'll be amased at how high the EGT's are on a stock truck. The old standard for EGT's have changed. The second gen should stay around 1250*, the 03 through 04 trucks should stay below 1350*, and the 04.5 - present 5.9 engines will run up to 1450* - 1500*. The engines are designed different to handle the extra heat. Do I recommend running 1450* for long periods of time, lets just say that would scare the hell out of me too. All I can say is I don't know of any STOCK trucks (04.5-present day) that have melted down pulling long grades. Slightly modify and then that's different story. I would assume that as long as the temps stay the same as stock one should be fine but you know what they say when one assumes.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:09 PM

I am running Flux 3.3s. I plan on running a nice size tank (although I LOVE your idea of putting it under the truck!) for use when towing. With the Water/Meth on running Wild #9 I couldn't break 1400 degrees so I know it's definitely a possible solution. I also know that my bigger twins will certainly help as the airflow will be increased by 80%. As for right now, do you think changing TQ management programs would help/hurt any?

I appreciate all the help guys! I roll out in 3 hours!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

These trucks are hard too keep cool when towing heavy up a hill.

All I have is a Smarty and SB turbo and I still get HOT. I was running SW#9 and it was smokey and hot and since I dropped oit down to SW#3 the smoke cleared up but its still easily at 1250.

What I think is going on is that towing heavy in 6th up a hill is fueling it too hard with not enough boost and it will create lots of heat and byt dropping a gear it will take ALOT of load off and keep it cooler.

Besides you should be able to maintain 60mph in 5th gear no porb and still keep it cool.

Your experiencing very normal conditions and there's nothing wrong on with dropping a gear to cool off.

I also heard the ATS twins run hotter since the pipes are so close to the exhaust manafold.

Suprisingly my truck runs ALOT better on SW#3 and if I want to go all out I just crank up the MP-8 and WOW it pulles harder then SW#7 + mp-8. It will even slip my clutch now as SW#7 + 75-100% mp-8 wouldnt (too much pressure I guess)

Give it a try
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
David With the 6 speed go to stock torque management.

Last edited by Bob Wagner; 08-30-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

1350 in an 03-04 has proven to drop valve seats...1500 is ok for 20 seconds....not 4 minutes climbing a grade then towing 3 more hours.

1450 in an 04.5 -07 may not drop a valve seat as they have better seats but something will give after a while...

There are lots of posts on people with trashed valve trains and pistons. If you have the choice which D.Wiggs does....I'd keep it below 1250 with more air and water...why take the chance when the technology and means are at your disposal. ks
Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 PM

1350 in an 03-04 has proven to drop valve seats...1500 is ok for 20 seconds....not 4 minutes climbing a grade then towing 3 more hours.

1450 in an 04.5 -07 may not drop a valve seat as they have better seats but something will give after a while...

There are lots of posts on people with trashed valve trains and pistons. If you have the choice which D.Wiggs does....I'd keep it below 1250 with more air and water...why take the chance when the technology and means are at your disposal. ks
Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys, I am downloading the new stuff now!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM

I run the smarty on #3 and I feel that I get better mileage and the egts are manageable. I run #24,000 loaded and was really surprised at the egts when not running the smarty. All I can say is it will peg 1500 no problem in a stock truck pulling heavy. If you don't have gauges guys you better get them. I have an htb2 that will be installed before I hit the road again with the trailer
Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM

I think I am hitting such high EGTs also because my RPMs are SO low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing w/ Smarty - Questions about certain SMARTY settings