3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

slipped ofe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slipped ofe

so the clutch has been good for the last 1000 miles, then the other day went to do a 3rd gear burnout and the ofe did not hook at all. probably spun the clutch for 30 feet or so. smarty on 9. my stock clutch could handle a 3rd gear burnout without a problem. what gives. it seemed fine to hook after that just romping down the road. no slipping at wot, but i'm confused. also my clutch pedal feel has changed alot over since i put it in. used to grab at the bottom now grabs at the top. whats the best way to fix this. and does anyone think i hurt the clutch at all with that slip
Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

who sold you an OFE? it's a great clutch, but for a warmed up 3rd gen, especially w/ a stock turbo, it's not my first choice.

I never abuse my trucks w/ nonsense like 3rd gear burnouts, but all of my SBC clutches have slipped a time or two when I increased the power. I quickly got out of it, and rolling back in it w/ the same conditions it would stick. They can take a few miles to marry up band break in right.

I'm guessing the organic side of your OFE is pretty smoked
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Dewd, are you kidding? The OFE was never intended for 3rd gear launches or burnouts.

That said, if you've only had it 1k miles, it's not even broken in yet...

Give it a few thousand miles, and it will hook better. I usually would pop it in second, hit third, spin through 4th and sometimes chirp in 5th with my OFE. It's all in how you drive it, eh?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

the ofe isnt intended for sled pulling, or 3rd gear launches.
mine has never slipped. i have sled pulled with it. and i am probably running well over 100 hp more than you.

then ofe is a great clutch for trailering, daily driving, the occasional hotrodding. it is NOT for sleds, drags, or constant abuse.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM

I have read everywhere on here that the ofe is a great clutch. I'm not going on any more hp than I have just for reliability purposes. I do not abuse my truck hardly ever, at least what i consider abuse. I have not nor will i ever sled pull cause thats not what this clutch is made for. I'm not out doing 4x4 launches either. If i'd intend to do that i would have got a dd. but i was really not expecting the clutch to slip like that. and for as long as it slipped its not smoked. i'm smart enough to get out of it. yea probably glazed some.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM

i bought the clutch just for the reason is was intended which is occasional hot rodding and daily driving. guess i won't be trying anymore burnouts.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Dude, you are destroying your clutch doing 3rd gear "burnouts".

Doing burnouts, boost launches, or sled pulling will reduce the life of any clutch.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am pushing close to 500hp and my OFE has held solid. But I would NEVER try to do a boosted or 3rd gear launch w/o a DD clutch. 2nd gear takeoff is enough for me...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM

I feel your pain. I would expect a ofe to hold up to hot rodding and 3rd gear burnouts if you had stock tires but thoes 35's are hard to break loose.

I wish the ofe could handle it but it looks like 3rd gear burnouts are off the list.

Will a Fe hold up to 3rd gear burnouts?

I'm not talking about boosted launches, just reving and dumping the clutch in 2wd.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
I feel your pain. I would expect a ofe to hold up to hot rodding and 3rd gear burnouts if you had stock tires but thoes 35's are hard to break loose.

I wish the ofe could handle it but it looks like 3rd gear burnouts are off the list.

Will a Fe hold up to 3rd gear burnouts?

I'm not talking about boosted launches, just reving and dumping the clutch in 2wd.
Why not break the tires loose in 2nd and shift to 3rd? I had no problem doing that with my '03... IMO shifting with the tires spinning is more impressive than just dumping the clutch to spin the tires.

As I mentioned before to the op, at 1000 miles the clutch hasn't fully broken in. It will bite harder with some more miles on it, providing you didn't damage it.

Really, though, if you're going to do it right, get a ceramic dd. If I still had my '03 that's what would be in it.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

I did 535/1196 through an OFE, but you couldn't go WOT below 2500rpm or it'd slip LOL
Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Banned

A OFE is not made for 3rd gear launches, burnouts, or boosted launches in any gear. It is made to handle 450hp AFTER lock-up.

I know a guy who destroyed an FE in a week in a truck with JUST a BD programmer. Its all how you drive it. Nothing is indestructible.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 AM

Well thanks for all the input guys. looks like i'm gonna be babying this clutch for a little while to maybe help anything bad i might of did. hopefully its not fryed and 1100 bucks down the drain in 2 weeks. guess i was just seriously misinformed as to the capabilities of this clutch. defintly won't be trying anything crazy in it thats for sure. on a tight budget and really can't afford a dd right now if this one is toast. live and learn i guess. but costly.