3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pyro sender, remove manifold first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pyro sender, remove manifold first?

I have a diesel mechanic who is going to install a Pacbrake that I just ordered. I asked if he would also install the pyro sensor for an Edge Insight CTS2.

I did my own pyro install on my old Ford 7.3. As I recall, I drilled/tapped the exhaust manifold in place with the vacuum and grease tricks to avoid leaving metal filings to find their way into the turbo. I had no problems.

For this truck, my installer refuses to do it this way. He insists on removing the manifold, drilling and tapping off the truck to ensure nothing gets left behind. It's a liability issue for him. Has anyone else done it this way?
Old 05-20-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
I have a diesel mechanic who is going to install a Pacbrake that I just ordered. I asked if he would also install the pyro sensor for an Edge Insight CTS2.

I did my own pyro install on my old Ford 7.3. As I recall, I drilled/tapped the exhaust manifold in place with the vacuum and grease tricks to avoid leaving metal filings to find their way into the turbo. I had no problems.

For this truck, my installer refuses to do it this way. He insists on removing the manifold, drilling and tapping off the truck to ensure nothing gets left behind. It's a liability issue for him. Has anyone else done it this way?
he wants more money! just do it yourself! what little gets in the turbo is in the exhaust side and harmless......iv'e NEVER heard of damage done to the turbo from a pyro install!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin

I do not use the old grease on the drill trick. drill most of the way through the manifold, then start the engine and let it idle as you drill the last little bit. the exhaust will BLOW any chips OUT as you go through. be sure to wear safety glasses !!! you`ll be surprised how far the exhaust gas will blow the chips . there will be NO chips in the manifold. if you feel like putting some grease on the tap go ahead it will not hurt anything. let the engine idle as you tap the threads. I`ve done a couple dozen engines this way and have no problems. try it , you`ll like it and save a ton of money by not having to pay to have the manifold removed and reinstalled. if you are **** about it you can set the idle up to about 1000 rpm. and the chips will land in the next county, LOL !!!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you do it this way be very careful not to get caught up in any moving parts.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jtamulonis
I do not use the old grease on the drill trick. drill most of the way through the manifold, then start the engine and let it idle as you drill the last little bit. the exhaust will BLOW any chips OUT as you go through. be sure to wear safety glasses !!! you`ll be surprised how far the exhaust gas will blow the chips . there will be NO chips in the manifold. if you feel like putting some grease on the tap go ahead it will not hurt anything. let the engine idle as you tap the threads. I`ve done a couple dozen engines this way and have no problems. try it , you`ll like it and save a ton of money by not having to pay to have the manifold removed and reinstalled. if you are **** about it you can set the idle up to about 1000 rpm. and the chips will land in the next county, LOL !!!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Agree with it running works. When I did mine I was surprised that the chips hit my saftey glasses, didn't thing there would be that much pressure behind them.

There is no reason to remove the manifold from the truck.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 AM

i drill and tap the threads with the truck running as well. i also put grease on the drill and tap as well.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also seal off the exhaust pipe in the rear with tape to increase the back pressure. Guarantee all the metal will be blown back through the drill bit.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM

Thanks. I thought removing the manifold seemed to be a bit of overkill. I drilled and tapped my Ford 7.3 with no issues. I never considered leaving the engine running. I guess I'll be doing this myself.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:47 AM

Thanks. I thought removing the manifold seemed to be a bit of overkill. I drilled and tapped my Ford 7.3 with no issues. I never considered leaving the engine running. Looks like I'll be doing this myself.