3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

HELP start, idle,die after replacing injector pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP start, idle,die after replacing injector pump

Ok guys. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram with 5.9l. About a month I noticed when I would start the truck it would take longer to start than normal. I didn't think much of it. Well a couple days later my injector pump went out. And I replaced it. Well it went out again. Had to save some money up to replace it well I found out that a pinched or kinked return line would be the only reason a pump would blow it's pressure relief caps. So I found the kinks and removed them. Bought another pump well got the pump put on and now the truck will run.... For 5 min and when you would give it gas it would cut out pretty bad. Then die. It seems like it's not getting fuel. So I checked all lines and found a couple more kinks and replaced them. Started the truck and it seem to start faster but will still die. I unplugged the connector on the back of injector pump that goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the truck will idle a little high and rev up. I plug the the connector in and 30 sec or so it turns the pressure regulator on and the truck dies and we are back to square one. What in the **** am I doing wrong here. I miss my baby and would like to get her back on the road please throw me your opinions.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 12:11 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Prentice Evans
Ok guys. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram with 5.9l. About a month I noticed when I would start the truck it would take longer to start than normal. I didn't think much of it. Well a couple days later my injector pump went out. And I replaced it. Well it went out again. Had to save some money up to replace it well I found out that a pinched or kinked return line would be the only reason a pump would blow it's pressure relief caps. So I found the kinks and removed them. Bought another pump well got the pump put on and now the truck will run.... For 5 min and when you would give it gas it would cut out pretty bad. Then die. It seems like it's not getting fuel. So I checked all lines and found a couple more kinks and replaced them. Started the truck and it seem to start faster but will still die. I unplugged the connector on the back of injector pump that goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the truck will idle a little high and rev up. I plug the the connector in and 30 sec or so it turns the pressure regulator on and the truck dies and we are back to square one. What in the **** am I doing wrong here. I miss my baby and would like to get her back on the road please throw me your opinions.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Are you getting remanufactured pumps? This sounds like faulty replacements.

Anyway, that little "pressure regulator" that you've been unplugging from (called FCA) is the likely culprit- replace it with a new unit. Other, and much less likely, issues are the pressure relief valve failure or the cascade valve.