3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PSD boys think i should be quicker

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD boys think i should be quicker

well my buddy with a 7.3 with dp tuner has always been gear for gear with me and after my injectors still same story gear for gear now hes got a new pdr turbo and his truck is much quicker, hes also got a southbend con fe in it, am i losing power through my stock clutch?, it doesnt feel like its slipping. On the PSD fourm he is on they were discussing my truck, a few of them with cummins were sayin to check rail pressure and that with 90hp sticks i should have 55psi and 550 hot hp without turbo and 600 hp with a turbo..right now with stock turbo ive been hittin 45 psi occasionally not to often thou, it will stay around 1300 at 42 psi, i usually only run on performance setting, because of no studs yet, is there any thing thats sounds wrong about my truck besides an old 7.3 being able to beat it now..oh i was also going to get crazy larry or a smarty after i get clutch and turbo
Old 05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

the 37's arent helping you, you should get a rail pressure gauge.

with those big tires, 90 hp sticks and the bully dog, your stock clutch is on borrowed time. i would upgrade it to a SB or haisley DD, studs and turbo(possibly twins if funds permit)

if you loose then, its driver error. and to be honest, i dont think you should be loosing to him now...
Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

You hit the nail on the head about the clutch and turbo. I would go that route and look into a modded CP3 pump. What kind of rail pressure are you seeing at WOT? When she starts dropping below 20-22k or so you will see a big power loss. I think you are very optimistic on 550Hp with the stock turbo and your programming. Its time to start dropping the big coin to get your CTD back in tune. Just my .02
Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM

yea i know the 37s arent helping me at all but i forgot to mention he is also running 37s and yea i think i should be at least a truck length ahead well it would be nice to be anyways...i was looking at getting the sb3250 dd in the next couple months(going to camp for a couple months gonna order them while im there hopefully) along with a 64/14/71, right now i couldnt tell you what my railpressure is off the top of my head but i think it sits some where around 22 or 23, i dont kno what the fuel pressure is at thou because that part of the guage doesnt work anymore.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Smile

Thoes Ford guys dont know jack.

Your truck need's alot of work. You have a few thing's houlding you up but we can make it all better

Replace your -

Turbo
Clutch
Lift pump
CP3 injection pump
BDDL w/ a Smarty

I bet that your making 375-425rwhp alot lower then you though huh?

Your truck is by far out of air, fuel, and clutch.

After you replace all thoes parts you should be 550+rwhp

I would do the CP3 last because you can "get by" with the stock on, but thoes injectors are putting a big strain on it and you would see a HUGE improvement with a modded CP3.

With a larger turbo, clutch, lift pump you could see 500rwhp but I dont think the BDDL could do it by its self since the 03-04 BDDL is weak on power. If you got the Smarty you could see 500+rwhp no problem.

Even when you replace all these parts dont expect to be winning any drag races against built auto's. You bought a nv5600 its designed for HD towing applications and not racing.

Goodluck
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM

i think im around 400 hp..it was the ford boys that thought i would be around 550, i didnt word that to great the first time...what brand and size turbo would you guys recommmend
Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Much quicker than you in a 7.3... Your 37s have to be killing you. The most he will be pushing with the turbo and tuner is probably 400 HP. I have pretty much the same set-up in my Powerstroke and I would be extremely happy to see 400 HP. I don't think you are at 550 HP, more along the 500 HP.

So on the track, my cummins with the Smarty on level 9, DD SBC with 35s and the handshaker I was able to run a 15.1 With my stroker, stock turbo, stock tires, and tuner, with an auto I was able to run a 15.7. I would say after the new turbo and modded trans, the two trucks may now run a bout the same.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM

What else does he have besides the turbo and tuner. And what year model. I outran a 03 6spd dodge a year or two back (1/8 mile). My stroke dynoed that day at 332 and his dynoed near 450. But he hadn't done any tranny work. I would say ur clutch is definitely first problem. Second would be the turbo, with a stocker and 90 nozzles I bet ur pourin blacksmoke. Need more air to really utilize the full potential of those nozzles.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM

this is the guy with the stroke...im nowhere near 400...id be happy to see anything over 300 with my mods....and I don't get why hes as slow as me...but I will enjoy running with a dodge while I can

I have dp tuner pdr turbo and then just your normal intake and exhaust...nothing fancy. its a 2000 F-350
Old 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Not exactly a Ford guy given advise over there lol.

You should be slipping the heck out of that clutch, a Smarty on 3 will slip a stock clutch in a stock truck and look at what you have on top of that. I just a local feller dyno 490+ with stock sticks and a 62/16/71 and a FASS. He is out of fuel but you should be able to push that stock turbo to 500hp even though hot it will get there so thats not whats holding your hp back. IMO you have other issues going on especially if you are not just wasting that clutch everytime you breath on the throttle.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 PM

well it appears that he logged in to my account to make a comment,.. well i took it out and actually watched the railpressure..cruising its about 17 then if i hold it to the floor in 6th up a hill it jumps to 20 and slowly climbs to like 23500 by the time it got there i was already at 14 pushin 1500 degrees..looks like i might be investing in a smarty some time this summer.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM

if i nail the throttle hard in 6th (with TD on perf and bullet on sport), i can smell clutch (forget about what i can do on CL). is the TD that much less powerful on your '04.5, or could there be something else going on? have you already slipped your clutch? i can't imagine that if you've been running him all out, with 37's, that you haven't slipped it yet.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:27 PM

MY stock clutch did 3 boosted launches on the with nothing but a edge w/att and that was all she wrote. And she stunk while she was writin it. Youve been lucky....Now get yerself a clutch before you walk.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM

we raced again today and he put it on extreme and hes got me by about 1.5 lengths.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 PM

So what was he racing you with it before, tow/economy? I kid, I kid... Seriously that sounds more like it... His 37s are really holding him back.

Quick Reply: PSD boys think i should be quicker