3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pics of my Homemade Intake Horn and 2 Micron Filter Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks YelloZ. I was just wondering if running a water sep. only filter, in addition to a 3 mic. OEM replacement would be pretty close to the filtration delivered by the 2 mic. systems; and perhaps better than the 5 mic. Baldwin (which I was actually getting ready to order before I saw this thread).
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM

I would run the 5 micron baldwin in the stock location and then run an additional filter after it. You can choose which filter to run, but the setup or hard goods will remain the same. I can run any number of filters using the setup I have now.

I actually have the 7 micron fleetguard filter in my stock location now and I have an extra one already so I will be putting it in when I change it.

I plan on sticking with the Baldwin filter that I have as the secondary filter for a while and I will buy a replacement for it later down the road, just not sure if it will be another Baldwin or the Cat or Donaldson that ah64id listed
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yelloz28
So are you saying Baldwin rates their spin on filters and the stock placement filters differently? That doesn't seem to make much sense.
No, the PF7977 also is rated multi-pass, but it's single pass rating is the same as it's multi-pass.

Originally Posted by GOLD GUS
Thanks YelloZ. I was just wondering if running a water sep. only filter, in addition to a 3 mic. OEM replacement would be pretty close to the filtration delivered by the 2 mic. systems; and perhaps better than the 5 mic. Baldwin (which I was actually getting ready to order before I saw this thread).
It would probably be a little better, as you have more filter media.. But the PF7977 is an excellent filter. I think if you were to only add 1 extra filter I would add a 2 mic between the OE and the CP3.

Originally Posted by yelloz28
Looks to me like the Multi-Pass rating or beta rating is the industry standard.
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/89-5R3.pdf

Where did you get all the specs about the filters?
I got the specs from lots and lots of emails with Donaldson/Cat (really hard to get specs)/ Fleetguard/Baldwin...

The only company that says they use multi-pass for fuel is Baldwin, everyone else uses single pass. (Baldwin has both specs, but as you can imagine multi-pass ratings are better, so they publish those).. Multi-pass is fine for oil, hydraulic, etc.. pretty much anything in a closed system. But there is a change your fuel will only get filtered once before being burned.. I want single pass ratings.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 AM

Yeah those specs are almost impossible to find. In case anyone else is interested in duplicating the additional filter setup, these are the components that I used, I used the FP take off fitting because I was running a fp guage, if you aren't going to run one you can skip it or buy it, plug it and save it for use at a later date.

Russell 670650 RMA
Adapter Fitting; Flare Reducer; Straight; 10 To 6; 2 @US$7.88

Russell 670510 RMA
Adapter Fitting; Flare To Metric Adapter; Anodized; AN Size -6; 12mm x 1.5; 2 @ US$3.97

Russell 670340 RMA
Specialty Adapter Fitting; Fuel Pressure Take Off; Anodized; AN Size -6; w/1/8 in. NPT Side Port; 1 @ US$9.99

Russell 610160 RMA
Full Flow Hose End; 90 Deg. End; Anodized; AN Size -6; Center Line Radius .5 in.; 4 @ US$13.99

Aeroquip FCA0606 RMA
AQP Racing Hose; 6ft. Hose; -06AN Dash; 0.34in. I.D.; 0.55in. O.D.; 1000/750 PSI; 2.5in. Min. Bend Radius; 0.16 lbs. Per Foot; 21in. Per HG; 1 @ US$31.95

Got it all from street side auto they had the best prices at the time, but you can shop around and decide which brand you want to use. Plus you will need the filter base I posted earlier. This is just what I used and should work for you too, but I take no responsibility if it doesn't work for you.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Really like the filter setup! Hope you don't mind me playing devils advocate here... what exactly are the benefits of such a setup vs. the stock fuel filter or are you running this in tandem with the oem filter/housing? Forgive me if I missed something but I began to wonder what you were using for a lift pump, water blocking and the water in fuel sensor? Also what do the spin on filters sell for?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by xxwildbillxx
Really like the filter setup! Hope you don't mind me playing devils advocate here... what exactly are the benefits of such a setup vs. the stock fuel filter or are you running this in tandem with the oem filter/housing? Forgive me if I missed something but I began to wonder what you were using for a lift pump, water blocking and the water in fuel sensor? Also what do the spin on filters sell for?
The benefit is increased filtration. Bosch wants 5 micron filtration on their injection pump and injector, Dodge uses a 7 micron.. so there is room for improvement just to meet Bosch specs.. I, and many others, think 2 microns is the standard to meet for proper filtration.

I have a similar setup to what yelloz28 is running, the stock filter, sensor, and heater are all in tact. I run the stock LP.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the horn. I would be interested in seeing what you might want to get for one.....
Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 AM

I like your set-up and I'm not trying to start anything here. I picked up the same Baldwin filter head at a Big Truck Supply/parts place next to me for $13, (plus tax here in Taxachusetts), also get all my oil and fuel filters there.

I've been using a BF1212 that they (at the truck store) told me it was 4 micron. Plus they sell me a PF7977 for the stock filter cannister that they was a 5 micron. Can you tell me if this is correct and where I can get the spec's on Baldwin filters?

Also use the Baldwin BT7349 oil filter.

I was thinking of picking up another filter head and adding a 2 micron filter after the my stock filter, before the CP3.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I pet my truck from time to time....

Z, How is the filter head mounted under the horn? Could you mount it with the stock intake horn in place. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by AlCorr
I like your set-up and I'm not trying to start anything here. I picked up the same Baldwin filter head at a Big Truck Supply/parts place next to me for $13, (plus tax here in Taxachusetts), also get all my oil and fuel filters there.

I've been using a BF1212 that they (at the truck store) told me it was 4 micron. Plus they sell me a PF7977 for the stock filter cannister that they was a 5 micron. Can you tell me if this is correct and where I can get the spec's on Baldwin filters?

I was thinking of picking up another filter head and adding a 2 micron filter after the my stock filter, before the CP3.
The BF1212 is 4 microns nominal (50%) and 20 microns absolute (98.7%) multi-pass and is 97.88% at 20 microns single-pass. Absolute is the number you want to pay attention to..

The PF7977 is absolute at 5 microns, which is funny he told you nominal for the 1212 and absolute for the 7977.. The 7977 is nominal at 1-2 microns.

I get all my baldwin specs thru emails with Baldwin.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by xxwildbillxx
I am running this in addition to the stock filter. Spin on filters are around the $8-10. Its just added filtration. I am actually running a GDP lift pump, but I do know that the fuel pressure didn't change one bit from before adding the additional filter to after. If anything this probably flows better than the stock line, this is basically also the big line kit that GDP sells. I just like the look of AN fittings rather than rubber hose and pushlock fittings.

That's a great deal, if I could have found one that cheap I would have bought it.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by GOLD GUS
Z, How is the filter head mounted under the horn? Could you mount it with the stock intake horn in place. Thanks for the help.
I custom made a mount for mine. I welded a piece of solid steel to the back of the horn that I drilled and tapped. You can see it in this pic:

You could mount it with the stock horn in place, GDP actually sells the mount, if you go to their site you can see it. I believe it works with the stock horn or their aftermarket one.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to raise an old thread, but could you list the products that it took to make it. I want to make one
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 AM

Me Too!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
59c

what size u bend did you use