3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pics of my Homemade Intake Horn and 2 Micron Filter Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of my Homemade Intake Horn and 2 Micron Filter Setup

Here is my new setup that I just got on the truck. I couldn't see paying some of the prices that are out there for these setups so I fabbed up my own. I am particularly happy with the 2 Micron filter. Not sure if its just wishful thinking because I made them, but the truck seems to be running better and smoother than ever. Didn't notice a ton of power difference, but there was some. However the truck just seems to run smoother.

Let me know what you think.
Before

After
Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM

I see your at it again!! Looks awsome and exactly how I would do one, any chance of making some up for the rest of us? Also where did you get the filter head?

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That right there is some real pretty work!
If you ever want to make up another intake horn for a DTR brotha LMK
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the compliments.

I got the filter head online here http://www.adiesel.com/baldwinfilters/FB1311.html

Then I just bought all the AN fittings and hose online from Street Side Auto. Cheaper than Jegs and Summit. I even got my quadzilla fp sender to work with the setup and since it isn't mounted to the engine anymore I think it should last a good long while.
Plus this setup eliminates all of the banjo fittings, not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I know it looks better and I have 2 micron filtration now.

I might consider building some, I guess it would just depend on price and when I have time available.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:05 PM

very nice work
Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great.. But ditch that Baldwin filter.. its not a 2 micron. Its a 7 micron filter, using the same standards that Cat/Donaldson/Fleetguard use... Baldwin calls it a 2 micron filter based on multi-pass ratings, single pass is what you want to know for fuel.

The best filter for the 1-14" thread is the Cat 1R-0750 or the Donaldson P551313, both are 2 microns absolute.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Yeah there is a lot of info out there about filters and I'm not really sure who to believe etc. I'm fine with it on there for now, but I may end up changing it in the future.

Here's some interesting reading for you about filters, I know you have done your research I have seen your post on CF. Just a lot of contradictory info out there.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literat...tins/95-11.pdf
http://baldwinfilters.com/literature...etins/98-7.pdf
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literat...etins/98-2.pdf
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah I went rounds with Baldwin and they finally admitted that the ratings they use are multi-pass, and then I got the single pass numbers, which is what the other use...

Any extra filter is better than nothing, that's for sure.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

Nice lookin set up there YelloZ. Is the 2 mic. Baldwin a water seperator also? If not, I found one of these http://www.class8truckparts.com/Flee...B001IY1XYY.htm I was thinking about running one with the AFE 3 mic. fuel filter to get the low micron + water seperation for the convenience and low price; and not a lot of fab work or parts either.

Anybody seem to think this set would work? Any experience with what it would take to install the water sep. and if would be as effective as the OEM set up?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM

The BF7633 isn't a f/w sep. Its ratings are 5 microns absolute multipass and 7 microns absolute singlepass (new ratings where 4 microns is the best you can report)..

If you're looking for a good f/w sep the 1212 (Baldwin and Fleetguard) is a good filter. Its 20 mic absolute and 95% free/emulsified water removal (which is OE Spec)..

As far as the AFE, just run a Baldwin PF7977, 5 mic absolute, 1-2 mic nominal and 95% water removal... just my .02
Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM

So are you saying Baldwin rates their spin on filters and the stock placement filters differently? That doesn't seem to make much sense.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

ah64id, wasn't sure if you were responding to me or not. Guess I'm a little fuzzy on the info. First, is YelloZ running the Baldwin in line with the OEM filter, or is it replacing the stock filter? If the stock is bypassed, then there is no water sep. in the Baldwin filter he is running. So, could someone run this Fleetgaurd FS43252 water separator with any other filter of there choice (like the 3 mic. AFe)?

And, were you stating that the Balwin 5 mic. would be basically just as effective as running the AFe 3 mic. with a seperate water sep. and not worth running this set up?

Side note: I'm not sure how this FS43252 works anyway. Is this container the filter itself (and must be replaced periodically), or does it just house a separate filter that can be replaced? Also, any idea how the FS43252 would install inline with the factory system?

Just like YelloZ I'm looking for other economical (yet effecient) options for fuel filtration instead of the full blown systems that are for sale.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM

I'm running this additional filter in connection with the stock fuel filter/water separator.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Looks to me like the Multi-Pass rating or beta rating is the industry standard.
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/89-5R3.pdf

Where did you get all the specs about the filters?

Quick Reply: Pics of my Homemade Intake Horn and 2 Micron Filter Setup