3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ok .. do I need a bigger turbo now??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok .. do I need a bigger turbo now??

So I put a lot of miles on my truck in the past two days and finally got to open it up with the TST on 9, torque on 2, pressure on 1 and man does it pull like crazy. Only problem I'm having now is I peg 35psi real fast and then the TST must be defueling (since I have it set to max 35psi) and so the truck pulls real hard then you hear it let off until I drop to about 20psi and then wham! you are shoved back in the seat again for anothe short pull for only a few seconds until I am at 35psi again.

Am I at the point where I need a bigger turbo to spool up higher? How much can the stock turbo take. What I mean is can I move the Hi Boost up higher? If so, how high? I've got the GDP kit in and everything is good except when I max out the boost. I can't imagine what it will be like once I get this qwerk worked out because right now 0-90 is probably almost as fast as our 450rwhp 98 Camaro.

I'm loving it and I want it to just be strong all around without that hesitation.

Oh yeah .. when I'm part way on the throttle and it shifts and I hear the air intake make a big shutter sound is that normal? Sometimes does it when I shift (usually more when I'm only part way on the throttle). Like a big shudderin whoosh of air.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Alot of people will say yes you need a new turbo. But I ran my TST at 45psi for 70,000 miles without a problem, and now run my Smarty the same(just a little lower.)

As far as the noise you are hearing, that is the turbo barking. I am sure it didnt do it before the HTS tranny. It is now allowing more power to the ground. Before your boost would stay the same when it shifted. What is happening is when it shifts the boost you have built is lost back through the torbo(not good on the turbo).
Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 PM

So how do I fix turbo barking?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:58 PM

Just let outta the throttle a little slower, dont' floor it and let off all at once.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 PM

I did a search after posting that and I'm seeing a lot of it is drivin style. Kind of like getting a locker installed, just takes a bit of getting used to.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM

I hit 42 PSI with my quad box all the time. No probs in over 50 000 kms
Old 03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Banned

that surging may be caused by the rail draining, and then the cp3 catching up. do you have a rail pressure gauge?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:56 PM

I have a rail pressure gauge but it's sitting in a box at the front door because when I brought all the boxes to the performance shop to have the tranny and GDP system put in I forgot the gauge so they didn't install the isolator or gauge. I'm going there Tuesday to have that installed.

Does this mean my CP3 is crapping out .. and what exactly is a CP3? I see a lot of stuff on here about modded CP3 but I still haven't figured out what it is.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:00 AM

CP3 = injection pump
Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 AM

I played around with the settings some (still don't have a fuel pressure gauge in yet) and I've got it on twins03, power 8, torque 2, fuel pressure 1. If I drive along about 1/3-1/2 throttle it surges pretty bad. Sits at around 20# boost. If I go WOT then it still pulls nice until 35# boost and drops off. I've got a feeling once I get my fuel pressuree gauge hooked up I'm going to notice it dropping off significantly. I did read posts about the CP3's going bad on the '03s. Hopefully not the case. Is there a rebuilt kit for them or is it just a waste of money?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM

You probably won't see a fuel pressure issue since you have GDP kit. The rail pressure may be the concern.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:12 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I doubt it's draining the rail unless there is a problem with your cp3 - which I doubt also. I was running the HOT Juice and an xzt with the stock lift pump and and stock cp3. It was losing a little but not a lot. I wouldn't go spending a bunch of cash on a cp3 until you eliminate ALL other possibilities.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 PM

I've already got the gauge, I just need to install it. The TST shows rail pressure if I click on the buttons and go to it. What should the rail pressure be at? Aside from a gauge showin where it's at, what would I do to diagnose it.

By switching off the twins03 program and back to standard with the same power/torque settings the surging goes away. What does the twins program so fuel wise that the standard doesn't? Seems that I can replicated the issue more severly just by swiching to twins03 and then make it almost completely go away (except for at WOT) when I'm on the standard program.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Okay I don't think this is good.

I held the R49 in my hand while driving today to monitor rail pressure. Not good results. At idle I sit around 5.2k. When I'm at wide open throttle, it bounces around a lot between 9k to 23k. How accurate is the R49 reading? If it's supposed to sit around 20k it certainly isn't doing that?

Any ideas? CP3 going bad?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by pwirch
I've already got the gauge, I just need to install it. The TST shows rail pressure if I click on the buttons and go to it. What should the rail pressure be at? Aside from a gauge showin where it's at, what would I do to diagnose it.

By switching off the twins03 program and back to standard with the same power/torque settings the surging goes away. What does the twins program so fuel wise that the standard doesn't? Seems that I can replicated the issue more severly just by swiching to twins03 and then make it almost completely go away (except for at WOT) when I'm on the standard program.
The TWINS program adds fuel quicker and more flow then the Standard program does to help spool up a bigger turbo or turbos faster.

Quick Reply: Ok .. do I need a bigger turbo now??