3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil leak???

My truck is/was leaking oil. It is bad enough to leave a drop or two but not bad enough to show a loss on the dipstick in the past couple/few thousand miles. I had a small leak on my oil feed line on my SPS66 but I tightened the bolts and seems to have cured it but I have a new gasket on the way as the one in it is home made and it is no trouble to change.

But it kinda looks like I may have a leak on my oil drain too. Is this "normal"? It is enough that you can see it on the oil pan and a drop trys to form on one of the oil pan bolts but is doesn usually drip. It is also on my control arm(s) on the passenger side. I though maybe the compressor side of the turbo as leaking a little but it does not appear that is where it is coming from either, and the oil drain is all the way back in the block like it is supposed to be.

I am not really worried as the truck doesnt loose enough oil between changes to need any added but I would like to not have oil all on the underside of my motor.

Also, I dont think it is the rear main either but I really dont know. My truck is just shy of 36k and I am about to switch to royal purple.

Thanks for any advice or comments.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just swapped the clutch in my truck to a dual disc and when I got it out, the rear main was leaking at 24,000 miles. I had noticed it coming out of the bell housing but not enough to drip. The rear of the motor behind the flywheel was covered.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
wap

I just swapped my clutch about 2-3k ago and I could see a very, very small amount of oil where the flywheel bolts to the crank. I will inspect closer, but there is no oil on my flyweel that I could see.

I guess if it is the rear main I will just drive it and not worry about it.

thanks for the input.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Chapter President

If you didn't have a lot, you're prob fine. Mine was completely covered.

Are you coming to dyno day next weekend?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 AM
wap

I doubt it. I didnt even know there was a dyno event next weekend. I have been workin 70ish hours a week and then spending the weekends on the lake so I am not really up to date on current events.

How bout dome details?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 AM

Um...that fast the first place I saw oil when the A5k grenaded.

Wash it up...and watch more closely....

Check for shaft play. The only time I have seen the drain leaking is when the bolts were finger loose...or stripped.

If you inlet line was leaking...it could be what is making the mess...under 50 psi!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
wap

I am kinda thinkin the oil drain, but I cant get to the inside bolt, I am sure you know where I am talking about. And I can see well enough to know that it is not leaking at the feed lind between the motor and turbo.

I will check for shaft play, havent even thought of that.

Any thing wrong with usin break cleaner to clean everything up??
Any tips on getting to the 10mm bolt on the drain line on the motor side of the turbo??

Thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
I am kinda thinkin the oil drain, but I cant get to the inside bolt, I am sure you know where I am talking about. And I can see well enough to know that it is not leaking at the feed lind between the motor and turbo.

I will check for shaft play, havent even thought of that.

Any thing wrong with usin break cleaner to clean everything up??
Any tips on getting to the 10mm bolt on the drain line on the motor side of the turbo??

Thanks

I'll let ya know. Mine is loose the whole bottom of my truck is black!!! Must not have gotten it tight...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

you can use brake cleaner. the only way that i can get to the inside bolt, is with the turbo off. sorry buddy, the wastegate gets in the way otherwise. endplay(foward and back) should be around 0.004-0.007"(IIRC) someone who can remember better help me out please?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 PM

I guess that yalls trucks are forbiden at the dealer with all the power adders but my truck is at 92k and I just took it in for the lift pump retro. They hooked me up with a new front seal and timing cover gasket on the 100k cummins warranty. the rear seal was o.k.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, since no one said it yet -

Don't worry, your truck is just marking it's territory!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Well, since no one said it yet -

Don't worry, your truck is just marking it's territory!
That's an excellent 5000th post!!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:44 PM
wap

Thanks Chris, that stinks there is no way to get to the bolt, but I kinda think maybe, just maybe if I have to pull the turbo off I may as well just go ahead and get a bigger one, but we'll see, I had some other things in mind before I did that but I will have to think about it.

So Shane, yours is leaking oil too?

If I knew it wouldnt get any worse I wouldnt worry about it as it doesnt leak enough to matter, but if some how it did get worse and I didnt notice, that would suck.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

i tried for a long time to get that bolt tightened up, and my turbo is smaller than yours. i dont see a way around pulling it.
hmmmmmm, gonna get a bigger one? wonder if a sps62 and sps66 would make a good twin setup? yummmyyyyyy!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:54 PM
wap

I really dont think so, I am no turbo guru or anything but I think you would want to get a K31 and run your sps 62. Even with the stocker as the top turbo I doubt the 66 would be big enough for the bottom, but hey, if you think you want to try it I might now a guy who is sellin a sps66...

Also, you said you tried to tighten yours, I take it yours has leaked too??

Quick Reply: Oil leak???