3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New "Death Wobble" ??

Old 11-08-2004, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New "Death Wobble" ??

I have a 2" leveling spacer with BFG 315/70R/17s on stock 17x8 rims. Rancho 9000x and 5000 stabilizer. This combination has been on for over 8000 miles. Up until Thursday night I was very happy with look, performance and ride.

Thursday night going about 70, slowing down a bit, on beltway with slight curve and hit normal road bump. I now know what a "Death Wobble" can do. The left front tire went completely out of control bouncing. Almost jumped lanes and hit a car before I could get it slowed down. Eased up to about 70 again and let off on slight curve and felt the same potential bounce start. This never happened at all before.

Checked every thing under front. All bolts, bushings etc. look tight and in place. What I did find is a bent left Stabilizer Bar Link Rod. I can see where the spring and shock compressed enough for the tire to hit on the inside fender well liner. A place that I didnt think it could go.

Will take it to the dealer and ask if they find anything wrong with front end. I am sure that needs at least new link rod, probably alignment.

Truck still tracks straight, tires dont feel out of balance or out of round and alignment seems good.

I now have to find what started the bouncing to start with.

I have read a number of posts about "death wobble" with 315s, but thought with my shocks and stabilizer I had eliminated the issue, guess not.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the leveling kit the culprit here? Does it change the alignment angle of some sort causing the death wobble ?

That would be some scary stuff experiencing a death wobble doing 70-75 around a turn.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:23 PM

I see your sig list Daystar 2" spacers. If they are poly instead of metal, maybe that's the difference.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:56 PM

This might sound a little strange but I had the exact same problem I thought that my front tires were going to come completely off by how violent it was shaking, I got out and completely checked my front end and everything looked good, come to find out that it was my transmission was low on fluid and when cruising at between 65 and 75 it would start to shift in and out of 3rd and 4th gear exceptionally hard, but once it was filled back up the problem completely went away. I do not know if this will help but it is something to check.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:21 PM

I had the same problem with my 96 v10. the drag link was the problem. Dodge paid for one I paid them for one and put two in my self.IN 6 YEARS
Old 11-08-2004, 11:37 PM

Death wobble can be due to various things. Most commonly it has to do with bad caster angles and worn steering components. A bad alignment can set it off as well.

On my old ZJ, I had 6" springs and short arms in it and zero death wobble. I put in a 5/8" spacer, made no other changes, and I couldn't drive above 45 mph without going into extremely violent death wobble. It took long arms and fixing the caster to get it back to stable.

Search any jeep site for death wobble, you will see it can happen to any level of suspension, from bone stock to 8"+.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by anestech*

Search any jeep site for death wobble, you will see it can happen to any level of suspension, from bone stock to 8"+.

I agree...but have you heard of anyone with a Bone Stock 3rd Gen ram having death wobble ??
Old 11-09-2004, 07:15 AM

Has anyone had death wobble with any of the leveling kits that include the longer lower control arms?????

Seems like that would be the way to go to get it back to as near stock geometry as possible.......

Definitely worth spending a couple hundred extra if it actually fixes the problem.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by HdPower
I agree...but have you heard of anyone with a Bone Stock 3rd Gen ram having death wobble ??
I have not, but don't be surprised if your do when more people start getting in the 80K to 100K range, especially with larger tires...

It is worse on jeeps because of all the 1/2 ton steering components, 33"-37" tires and serious off road abuse. That takes it's toll. But a 7K+ pound rig with between 555-1000+ ft/lbs isn't exactly pu$$yfooting around either...
Old 11-09-2004, 09:49 AM

I had Death Wobble on my 2nd gen. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the Steering Stabilizer under warranty. Fixed it. The factory uses a really cheap stabilizer that doesn't last long. If your truck isn't under warranty I'd recommend replacing it with a Rancho or something better...
Old 11-09-2004, 12:16 PM

Bone stock has posted the death wobble before. It is less likely to happen...but it still can. Large tires...increased suspension height...etc multiply the problem.

It is all alignment.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by WhiteSport600
I had Death Wobble on my 2nd gen. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the Steering Stabilizer under warranty. Fixed it. The factory uses a really cheap stabilizer that doesn't last long. If your truck isn't under warranty I'd recommend replacing it with a Rancho or something better...
A better steering stabilizer will just hide death wobble. It is NEVER the cause of it. You still have some other issue going on.

And while alignment is usually the major factor (particularly caster) worn bushings, TREs, etc often come into play. But they shouldn't on a new truck.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:07 PM

I have stock ride height and get death wobbled to death every day in the same place on I-30 going across the bridge on lake ray hubbard in the inside lane. I have to believe it is a combination of alignment and 315 tires, I did not have this problem untill I put the BFG's on it. When they wear out I will go to Michilen 285's and if it fixes it then say no more.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Mark Thomas
I have stock ride height and get death wobbled to death every day in the same place on I-30 going across the bridge on lake ray hubbard in the inside lane. I have to believe it is a combination of alignment and 315 tires, I did not have this problem untill I put the BFG's on it. When they wear out I will go to Michilen 285's and if it fixes it then say no more.
REAL death wobble? Like the kind where you front end feels like it is going to separate from the truck, and you suck your seat cushion up your sphincter? Or just a shake? When I had mine, it was so violent that It litterally felt like the front end was going to resonate itself right off the jeep.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:28 PM

Yup, actually tries to change lanes on me, once it did it so bad I had to pull over and get down to like 10 mph before it went away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New "Death Wobble" ??