3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need an opinion....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an opinion....

I'm a proud owner of my 05, wouldn't trade it for anything.. that being said 5 weeks ago was leaving town headed to dallas, about 3 hours from where i live, made it half way, CEL, turned around headed home, truck was miss firing. Me, my friends and wife were talking started to see smoke coming from the dash vents, stopped and engine bay was on fire!!!! Put it out, drove it 4 more miles to get it off the highway. $6000 later dealer, which insurance picked up, has replaced wiring harnesses, computers and heat shields, picking it up tuesday. Been looking at 2010's, first time its caught on fire, but not first for wiring problems.... Want to keep it but scared on motor problems.... What do you guys think??? Gamble on things or buy new??
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Well I think the first thing is to find out exactly what caused the fire, then decide, "is the threat over with or not." These trucks aren't known for spontaneously bursting into flame, so whatever the root cause was, if it was diagnosed and repaired correctly it will probably never be an issue again. A new vehicle of any brand would stand exactly the same chance of being a fire hazard in the future as the one you already own.

I know if it was my truck, I would find out the exact cause of the fire, and all the damage, then repair it all and go on happily with my life.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Shop says it was electrical. I don't agree, CEL came on, driving with high egts, could not get it to drop below 1250*, engine miss-firing then, drove this way for 9 miles. I say it was the injector that caused the fire.... This makes the 5th time the injector has gone wacky since new.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM

I would have let it burn.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dieseloutlaw1
Shop says it was electrical. I don't agree, CEL came on, driving with high egts, could not get it to drop below 1250*, engine miss-firing then, drove this way for 9 miles. I say it was the injector that caused the fire.... This makes the 5th time the injector has gone wacky since new.
So I assume the shop never found a cause- they just replaced all the burnt stuff and called it fixed? I would be nervous.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 AM

Did you buy it used?

Originally Posted by dieseloutlaw1
I'm a proud owner of my 05, wouldn't trade it for anything.. that being said 5 weeks ago was leaving town headed to dallas, about 3 hours from where i live, made it half way, CEL, turned around headed home, truck was miss firing. Me, my friends and wife were talking started to see smoke coming from the dash vents, stopped and engine bay was on fire!!!! Put it out, drove it 4 more miles to get it off the highway. $6000 later dealer, which insurance picked up, has replaced wiring harnesses, computers and heat shields, picking it up tuesday. Been looking at 2010's, first time its caught on fire, but not first for wiring problems.... Want to keep it but scared on motor problems.... What do you guys think??? Gamble on things or buy new??
If yes,... there was a Hurricane in early '05 and a lot of trucks came into the auctions that were brand new but had many assorted problems. YOURS may be one. It should have had a branded title if that were so. You may have recourse through the dealer who sold it to you if that were the case and they didn't tell you about it.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 AM

guardrail
letting it burn crossed my mind after it was out!!!!! if it weren't raining that day it would have been gone!!

torquefan
the dealer did replace everything that burnt and called it fixed. i am nervous of the truck now. i do believe i'm going to have a 2010 in the driveway now.

ot-of-here
bought the truck new almost 5 years ago, dont think it was a flood truck, the dealer where i bought the truck was one of the dealers that DC shut down, need to look on title to see what it says.