Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Need to buy a Gooseneck, opinion ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to buy a Gooseneck, opinion ???

Well since I have this truck coming I should have something to pull with it. What I want to do is put a full size truck and a Ramcharger on a trail and pull it across the country. I haven't weighed the trucks yet but I am guessing in the 11,000-12,000# area for the both of them. The new 2003 dually should be around 7567#, so it is safe to say that I will be over the 23,000# gross rating, hopefully that won't be an issue.<br><br>I figure I need a 36' trailer (including the Dove Tail), I guess the biggest question I have is going triple 7,000# single wheel axles, or going to twin 10,000# dual wheel axles. <br><br>Is one going to pull any better then the other? <br><br>Better tire wear? <br><br>The 10,000# axles are oil bath hubs so I would have to assume they are going to be better in the long run and less mantainance?<br><br>One concern of course is weight, I assume that the twin 10,000#'s would weigh more then the triple 7,000#'s?<br><br>Also brakes, does the 10,000#'s use any better breaking system then the 7,000#'s?<br><br>I know I can ask the trailer makers, but they just want to sell trailers, you guys actually use them. thanks for the help.<br><br>P.S., here is the type of Dove Tail I want:<br>
Old 10-27-2002, 08:04 PM

Re:Need to buy a Gooseneck, opinion ???

i would say go with the tandem duals and this type of dovetail.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:04 PM

another
Old 10-27-2002, 08:05 PM

last one
Old 10-27-2002, 08:12 PM

Ditto on the 2 10,000# axles.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:24 PM

midwestdually,<br><br>What brand of trailer is that, looks like a good set up, like the wide ramps, do they weigh a ton?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the two 7000 pound axles and a special order 24 foot flat with 4 foot dove tail. Wish now I would have went with the dual tandems. Mine does just fine with 12000 pounds on it but the tires get a little warmer than I like on hot days. I usually gross just under 26000 with two tractors on. The dual tandems spread the weight out a little better. Spend the extra bucks and go with the dual tandems.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:54 PM

h&amp;h trailer...... www.hhtrailer.com<br><br><br>comes standard with LED lights..chain boxes..steps....i think dual jacks...not sure what they weigh...i got a 25' + 5' with 2-7k axles....wish i had the tandem duals but this gets me by. check the site out.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:56 PM

trust me....u DO NOT want ramps that u have to pull out like the one that u have posted....it is a pain in the a$$ ...just my 2 cents
Old 10-27-2002, 09:18 PM

I don't mind pull out ramps, that is what I have now and am use to it. Only draw back to what you are showing me is that if the rear of the truck is to close to the dove tail (which it will be) you can't fold the ramps back over. Have to store them up right and for some reason that bugs me, weird I know [undecided]<br><br>
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 AM

Dual tandems are by far better<br>Bigger brakes, more tire surface, oil bath, ect.<br>With three #7000 axles you will drag the axles really bad when turning.<br>There are alot of good manufactuers out there but my favorites are Larry Stigers Trailer Sales ( which is a personal friend and made here in town ) or the Corn Pro Trailer<br>Either will build a trailer to you specs.<br>I pull a Stigers trailer daily and have had good luck with it for 12 years now. I have 2 other trailers also but it pulls smoother than any IMO.<br>If I can help further PM me.<br>I can get the PH # and let you know if you need it.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 10-28-2002, 10:07 AM

If you are going to use detachable ramps I would suggest getting a set of Featherlite 7' aluminum ramps. I have a set that I have been using for years and they are worth their (lack of) weight in unstrained backs, IMHO. I have run everything from classic cars and trucks to midsize backhoes, medium tractors, and even an old MF300 combine up them without any problems. They are not cheap though. I paid $201 a piece for them around 10 years ago. Just a thought.<br><br>10K dual tandem w/oil-bath hubs are the only way to travel. Maybe one of these days the old trailer will get replaced....
Old 10-28-2002, 10:18 AM

Go with the dual tandems and make sure you get e rated tires on it. A lot of trailer makers put the cheapest tires they can get on their trailers. Your also probably going to have check your state laws for driving license because with the truck and trailer you will be over the 26k rating which in here in Texas you have to have a class A for that weight range. The tripple axles are a pain if you need to turn around in a tight spot.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Administrator

bulthisl: Wonder if your buddy Larry would take out the singles under mine and install two dual tandems? I like the trailer but doesn't have enough tire to suit me for the weight I am pulling. Has done real well so far though. I have six of the eight tires to put on it if he has the axles and stuff, I will take care of the tires.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:36 AM

The oil bath axles are far superior to the greasem yourself kind.<br>The tandem duals would be a really nice setup. Used to pull a trailer like that without the dovetail. It was a good rugged trailer. Also, if you go for the triaxle setup, when you are trying to maneouver in tight places it's really hard on tires and bearings dragging the wheels sideways like that.<br><br>What kind of suspension setup is under the tariler you are looking at?

Quick Reply: Need to buy a Gooseneck, opinion ???