3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Max boost with VA CP3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max boost with VA CP3.2

Has anyone monitored what it is? I don't have a guage yet and was wondering what the numbers were...and what they would be if this box was stacked with an EZ.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:22 PM

Mine are (@WOT): 23 off, 25 on 1 and 29 on 2. My rig is stock.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 AM

Thanks...if it was stacked with the EZ, I wonder if we would see the normal 35's for an EZ or higher /lower.

Green Z, do you think you are starving your fuel system on level 2?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:35 PM

Max boost I've seen with the VA on level 2 is 59lbs

Piers
Old 05-27-2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by GreenZ
Mine are (@WOT): 23 off, 25 on 1 and 29 on 2. My rig is stock.
Same numbers here...
Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 AM

I get 40 lbs on 2 but cannot use it-w-my edge EZ that I have set on #3 due to 1400 EGT after about 5 secs. I imagine it needs timing manipulation. It really has some impressive power on 2 but the EGT thing has me frustrated (and mad). I had a little better than 300 hp rear wheel and 618 ft lbs prior to the VA and if I had to guess I would say it has better than 350 and 700 ft lbs-w-VA on #2.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Piers...you are such a smart @#$ with your twins!

Do you know if there is boost fooling when the setting is on OFF?

I have been getting horrible mileage lately...13.5 average over 2k road trip this weekend. I know I drive fast...but it seems like my mileage is getting worse. I only have 5k on the fuel filter, but it saw a little red dye...I am wondering if something is wrong or the wind is always blowing at me!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:17 PM

Also...would a boost elbow help get a little more boost to kepp EGT's a little lower?

The EZ sees 34-35 psi...why would the VA (which can supply more fuel than the EZ) only max at 29? It seems like it should work better with additional boost.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:29 PM

van aaken box

How do you like the box on your h.o???

Bill
Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 PM

I love it...just runs a little hot. I believe the high setting can starve the system for fuel. Have not found a hill that the mid setting can't top at 95 plus....just need to watch the EGT's. I don't think it helps with mileage at all. If I don't need the power on the highway (i.e. flat run) I turn it off. I ussually run the mid setting in town. It really makes the truck fun to drive.

I hope the rumor about a free upgrade for timing (when VA figures it out) is true. It would help with EGT's and mileage, which in my opinion is all that it needs. I might stack it with a pressure only box (40-50 hp range) in the future as soon as I control EGT's and supply enough fuel. It would really scream then...
Old 06-03-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by cquestad
Green Z, do you think you are starving your fuel system on level 2?
I am not really sure about starving the fuel system because I am in the red on my gauge in just a few seconds so I can't leave the peddle down.

Regarding fuel economy: My MPG have dropped. Normal driving have decreased about .5. The disappointing thing is that pulling my toy hauler my MPG dropped from 13.2 to 10.2 on the exact same trip with even lighter load

The positive thing is that towing on level one was great - more power pulling the grades. I was able to keep my speeds higher going up the hills. In fact, I got "flipped off" once while pulling a grade - I came to a passing lane, pulled to the right lane so the Dodge (gasser) who was behind me, not pulling anything, could pass. However, I didn't let off throttle because I would loose all my momentum pulling 10000lbs. I was holding my speed, maybe even slightly accelerating and the guy couldn't pass me When the lanes merged, I looked in my mirror to see what he was going to do (he was beside my trailer and was not going to make it before the lanes came to one). Thats when I saw him violently flipping me off.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Isn't that fun???? I love it. Duration is definately not a mileage improver, lust great power. That is why I am thinking of low pressure and hopefully timing soon.

GreenZ, you need an intake and exhaust...it really helps. I can actually use the high level to play around now. Towing no, but fun yes!
Old 06-04-2004, 12:59 PM

cquestad,
I am really struggling with what to do with both intake and exhaust.

I'll start w/ air: Truth is, I really don't like oiled air filters. Reason; I don't like cleaning them because the instructions state to let dry after cleaning and before oiling. It can take days to thoroughly dry out one of these filters. My rigs are daily drivers so this is not good. Also, I think the oiling process is critical because too much and you get a huge restriction, too little and not good filtration. Along these lines, does anyone know how the aFe paper filter (that fits in the RamAir III) compares to the stock filter for air flow(CFM) and filtration quality? I may go this route if there is significant air flow over stock AND if filtration is still good.

Regarding exhaust; I am having difficulty believing that there can be a significant EGT reduction with the cast elbow reducing it's size. As everyone knows, when gas is compressed, heat is generated. It just doesn't make sense to me that increasing pipe size downstream of the elbow will help much. I am not saying it doesn't, I am just saying it doesn't make sense to ME. It seems to me that most people do several "bombs" at once so it is hard to know what is truely causing EGT reduction. Is it the increased pipe size?, better flowing muffler?, larger filter?, etc..

If anyone has done these mod's in steps, I'd really appreciate a report on the data.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:37 PM

I did the AFE PG7 first with homemage intake tube...

Not much change...turbo seemed to spool quicker and power came sooner, but once up to speed maybe nothing more than 25-50* EGT drop.

I then added my VA CP3.2. Tons of power...hotter temps on level 1 and way hotter on level 2. No change on level 0. Mileage drops some on level 1, drops more on level 2 (may also starve for fuel), and no change on level 0.

I then added the Banks down pipe and 4" donaldson DIY system. This slowed down the EGT rise drastically. It may have a 150-200* EGT drop at cruize and 100-150* at WOT. This is combined with the intake as well. The turbo spooled quicker yet and seemed to have even better thottle response.

I still have faily crappy mileage since I drive so fast, but nothing can slow my truck down. Driving less than 80 mph, I can get 16-17. Driving up to 90 mph I get as bad as high 12's if there is a headwind. I guess I can't complain that much since this is a huge truck and it holds any speed on any hill. Maybe the addition of timing to the VA will help. In town without too much hotrodding, I get 14 mpg.

I think the intake and exhaust are important, just do not work complete mirricals.

A little help with the turbo and fuel will allow alot more power...
Old 06-04-2004, 02:46 PM

So you are showing that the air intake had little effect. I would have expected air to be the biggest contributor to EGT reduction.

Regarding exhaust; I really wonder if the muffler is providing the greatest benefit. I like the way you changed your entire exhaust - it makes sense to me. However, I have noticed that others have shown little to no change after the Banks downpipe which seems like it should give the most performance

Quick Reply: Max boost with VA CP3.2