3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just removed the silencer ring

Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sraibikis
There has been alot of talk about mileage, but nothing in stone. BTW, you wont find too many people on here that have anything good to say about a K&N filter for these trucks.
Whys that I have used them on every other Car or truck I have ever had and I have tried several other brands that are the same style with the same results.
Have one on each of My Grand Nationals and no issues with any of them.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by thunderace31
Whys that I have used them on every other Car or truck I have ever had and I have tried several other brands that are the same style with the same results.
Have one on each of My Grand Nationals and no issues with any of them.
I have seen more than one turbo with oil saturated compression vanes due to the suction the intake has. Its strong enough to suck that oil right through the filter and into the intake.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
I couldn't hear much of a difference when I did mine either. There is a certain RPM on my truck that I can very slightly hear a difference, but nothing like some of these guys claimed it would do.
Removing the silencer ring from my 2002 had a much more noticeable effect than taking it out of my 2006. Just something to do with differences in the stock intakes or the locations of the turbos between a 2nd gen and 3rd gen.

Tad
Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I have seen more than one turbo with oil saturated compression vanes due to the suction the intake has. Its strong enough to suck that oil right through the filter and into the intake.
Interesting on my 8 Second GN I have never had that happen and its running an 88mm full Race Turbo at 34psi of boost So I think that is strange as the GN has the Filter a lot closer to the turbo than on my truck. I think people over oil the filers when they clean them and that is more the issue than anything else. What others are there for the stock box that are cleanable ? I think I saw one from AFe but it was also an oil filter if I remember right. Been searching for info and got a ton of posts but nothing just about factory replacement air filters most are about the aftermarket intakes and Most of them are open filters witch I dont think is so bright as your sucking hot air from the engine at that point. You should have a box and be pulling air from outside the engine bay to keep your EGT's down and make more power. Hot air is a total waist of time and money.
Just my thoughts though everyone has there own. The factory box looks fine and most aftermarkets are not much larger the inlet tube to the turbo on the other hand needs a lot of improving lol.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM

So here's one I haven't read about . . . .

I've got a cool hose intake tube on my '05, with a DIY intake box (hole in the bottom of the box, with a corrugated tube exiting in front of the tire). When I popped the silencer out, I get a lot more turbo noise, but more of a 'whirshing' that is a choppy/fluttery sound rather than a constant whistle. It's more like a hybrid jet/prop sound than a turbo whistle.

What gives with that?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
Whats a Baffle tube.....WOW.....I am so new to the trucks, its not even funny.
It works, you're baffled.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by BMH95
So here's one I haven't read about . . . .

I've got a cool hose intake tube on my '05, with a DIY intake box (hole in the bottom of the box, with a corrugated tube exiting in front of the tire). When I popped the silencer out, I get a lot more turbo noise, but more of a 'whirshing' that is a choppy/fluttery sound rather than a constant whistle. It's more like a hybrid jet/prop sound than a turbo whistle.

What gives with that?

Look guys I have been playing with Turbo Charged cars and trucks for about 25 years (Started with Turbo Buicks) That silencer you all keep taking out is not only there to make things Quieter but also to help direct the air into the turbo and reduce turbulence of the air entering it. So taking it out is most likely hindering performance not improving it.

The funky sound you are now hearing is the air being smashed into the walls of the opening and not making a smooth entrance into the turbo. Now Im sure for some its a cool sound but I for one am not removing the ring as I already know from one of my other turbos that it hurts power by about 20-40 hp on a high boost application like these Cummins motors and I cant see it being any Different than the TE70 I had a few years back that when on the dyno we pulled the ring as someone said it would make more power and low and behold it lost 38 Hp and 40ft

I to made my own intake using the factory box with a nice Filter and I can say I would never pay what these companys want for an intake system as the set up you have works just as well
Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 PM

I had it out for about 20 minutes last summer. I put it back in because it didn't sound right to me.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM

I think it has been shown that the factory box modified with an extra COOL air inlet makes more power than the open element types. FYI I am guilty of that, an AFE unit, that is going back to the stock box with extra 4" hose. Also there have been a few guys dyno before and after and removing the ring made no change either way. I agree that it should be left in for flow, but most if not all aftermarket turbos do not have one either.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Sorry, but I do not agree that the silencer ring removal is harmful in any way. Like posted above, there are no documented cases of turbo failure or loss of performance. With several posts on this and other forums of those removing the ring, I have never seen any complaining of issues other than noise.

If you look at the ring, it appears to be a fix for exactly why people remove it - to quiet things down. It's the same thing as the manufacturers adding resonators to the exhaust of the newer trucks. Will removing that cause any failures, or just make it louder ?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM

I actually just removed mine too.. Only took about 30 min. Didn't notice a change in sound at all, however, after getting a good look at it, I will probably take it on a road trip before making any conclusions. By the looks of the ring in place, I think it would probably do better left in place. It seems to direct airflow directly in to the turbo as it might cause turbulance when removed... JMO Oh, same with the baffles prior to turbo inlet, also JMO
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the ring was meant to smooth the air flow and be better for the turbo, why do aftermarket turbos not have them?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
If the ring was meant to smooth the air flow and be better for the turbo, why do aftermarket turbos not have them?
Because they are Aftermarket!! Have you actually talked to an engineer about what these actually do.. I highly doubt they are actually to quiet the turbo.. Because, I didn't notice any difference (I wish I did) along with numerous others that have posted and I know personally.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Well considering I've had mine off for 145,000 miles, I dont think its caused any problems being the glovebox..
Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Well considering I've had mine off for 145,000 miles, I dont think its caused any problems being the glovebox..
I'm not saying that it will cause any probs, I'm just say that in my case "there is no more whistle" and no advantages towards MPG improvements or boost. Again JMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just removed the silencer ring