3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just removed the silencer ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by berok
Because they are Aftermarket!! Have you actually talked to an engineer about what these actually do.. I highly doubt they are actually to quiet the turbo.. Because, I didn't notice any difference (I wish I did) along with numerous others that have posted and I know personally.
So it's called a silencer ring for nothing?? (not trying to argue but just trying to figure out your logic for this)
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Well considering I've had mine off for 145,000 miles, I dont think its caused any problems being the glovebox..
Mine has been off for 70k miles so far and no issues also.

I'm not saying that it will cause any probs, I'm just say that in my case "there is no more whistle" and no advantages towards MPG improvements or boost. Again JMO
I did notice a slight louder whistle but it was nothing to brag about. I don't think anybody has mentioned gaining HP or Mileage. If they have claimed that then they are lying for sure.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
So it's called a silencer ring for nothing?? (not trying to argue but just trying to figure out your logic for this)

"Berok" Is it really called "Silencer Ring" in the books? Or, is this just what it has become known as?

Mine has been off for 70k miles so far and no issues also.

"Berok" Again, I said, Didn't say it would cause probs! Just no improvements.

I did notice a slight louder whistle but it was nothing to brag about. I don't think anybody has mentioned gaining HP or Mileage. If they have claimed that then they are lying for sure.
"Berok" HP & Boost has been mentioned to improve.... Thats why I've said in post above "that I would have to take it on a road trip" to see if it really made a diff.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I'm not saying that it will cause any probs, I'm just say that in my case "there is no more whistle" and no advantages towards MPG improvements or boost. Again JMO
There is absolutely no power advantages to removing the silencer ring. Removing the ring is kinda of a "beginners mod" that anyone can do. I figure if you cant remove this without damaging your truck or the turbo then might not want to be modify your truck..
Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 AM

To those saying it made no difference in noise, you either need a different intake or open up the stock box. I cut a 4" hole in the bottom of my stock airbox and put on a PVC elbow. You can hear the difference.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 PM

You can really here the difference with a new intake tube. I am using the afe torque tube or whatever it's called and turbo whistles. With Stock tube on no real difference in whistle.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm gonna pull my ring out this weekend. Last weekend I pulled the baffles out and the white vanes at the bottom elbow in front of the turbo. I have the stock box with a K&N (I noticed no oil on the Vanes after 15K on the K&N). I'll try and get a before and after video of the sound.

As far as the baffles making any difference- My seat-of-the-pants Dyno says the turbo spools a little quicker. Enough that I can tell a difference. not much, but enough. And there is more turbo whistle. I can hear it a little better, even over the 2 stacks! I'm looking for a local place to pick up a 5" tube for the intake, and I'll also be adding the cold air intake into the bottom of the airbox.

I will add - my Cummins mechanic said the newer stock Mopar filters flow very good. I'll be trying it out in about 15K more miles...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM

ok so i just removed both the baffles and the ring and now my engine light is on?? anyone else had this issue come up?????
Old 12-10-2011, 01:34 PM

make sure u reconnected your map sensor. its the connector on your intake tube.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM

i did i even unplugged it agan and reconnected it and its still on... just my luck...

well all is showing good now so not sure what it was...
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
There is no performance gain, just more turbo whistle. You might lower your egt's a bit but i'm not for sure as I do not have gauges.

Amen to that! Just wasted time for a little more whistle noise. Not worth it!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vas352
i did i even unplugged it again and reconnected it and its still on... just my luck...

well all is showing good now so not sure what it was...
I usually remove the air duct and disconnect the sensor when I change my oil. Occasionally I forget to plug the sensor back in when I reinstall the duct and the light will stay on after it is reconnected. It eventually goes off after a certain amount of time or starts or miles. I'm not sure what the rule is, but it does go off.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
The correct term is called a baffle, not a silencer ring. This was designed to break the force of air flow. If this was truly a silencer ring, why is there still noise?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by baileymotorsusa
The correct term is called a baffle, not a silencer ring. This was designed to break the force of air flow. If this was truly a silencer ring, why is there still noise?
There's both. The silencer is in the turbo, the baffle is in the tube. Removing either or both will give you NO POWER increase, but some have dynoed after removing the baffle and found a drop in power. The baffle redirects flow and makes the air intake smoother.

You guys should recalibrate your seat-of-the-pants gauges.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM

The tube comes apart! If you pry it apart at the end (closer to turbo) you will break the seal Slide out the baffles and then use silicone to seal it back together. Easy day.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

Here is a pic of how I modified my intake tube. I put a piece of 4" exhaust pipe in after I opened up the inner radius with a rotary file.
Attached Thumbnails Just removed the silencer ring-img_20160823_131818666.jpg   Just removed the silencer ring-utf-8bsu1hmdaynjktmjaxmta2mdmtmjizni5qcgc.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just removed the silencer ring