3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ISSPRO Tranny Temp Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISSPRO Tranny Temp Installation

Im in the middle of installing my tranny temp gauge and ran into an issue. Just by looking at the wire that plugs into the plug from the sender unit on the tranny I could pretty much judge the length and thought it was to short. Well I slit a hole in the firewall boot where a clutch would go, ran the wire down beside the engine and what do ya know it is about 4-5" to short. I called ISSPRO and the guy said find two adapters and make it work, well I couldn't locate 2 of the same adapters. Shouldn't this come from them already measured out correctly? Any suggestions on how to get it to reach, I guess I could splice both of the ends and run a wire from one end to the other but I sortive don't want to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Well I had to splice the wires. Tightened all the ends up and they are fine. Plugged it in and nothing. Let it idle for about 5 minutes then drove it around the block. Gauge never moved. Im pretty well sure that all of the wiring through the A-Pillar is squared away.

Anyone have a suggestion.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:42 PM

You did exactly what I did, had to splice in some wire to reach the drive test port. Been in for almost a year now no problems. The isspro guy was probably referring to supplied brass adapters used on the probe otherwise it bottoms out and won't seal. Sounds like you got it figured out and the temp takes about 15-30 minutes before it reads. I actually am going to change to the trans cooler out line shortly.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 PM

It realy takes 15-20min to read? wow. I felt the tranny pan. It was hardly luke warm(and it is 30* here) but I drove it round the block and steped on it pretty hard and it didn't evne budge at all. I don't know i'll try it again tommorow.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 PM

I also had wires that were to short.. I just disconnected them from the amplifier box (2 little screws) and soldered some additional wire on that end and put the new wires back in the amplifier box...

I was told that the sending unit for the trans is not like a pro sensor and the length of the leads don't have any affect on the signal strength.

My sensor is in the pan and it usually takes it 15 minutes to get warm enough to read on the guage.. then it has yet to get over 140 degrees
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Put it in reverse hold the brake and apply some throttle for about 20 seconds while keeping the truck from moving.
That should get the temps up pretty fast.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 PM

Ok, mabe im just a litttle unpaitent.

I soldered all the leads once. fired it up and drove it. Nothing moved so I came back, disconnected all the leads and re-soldered them tried it and nothing still. I'll run it for a while tommorow and find out. I even had to makeshift some stuff for the tranny gauge port where the thermocoupler goes. My coupler wouldn't screw into the first port. I made it work but I also thought by adding to the bell reducer that mabe the coupler wasn't reaching the oil to read the temp.

Anyone have an issue w/ putting in the coupler/sending unit? This only tranny gauge was a pain, hopefully installing the EGT gauge is easier.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Where is your tranny temp gauge??? (better yet where's the sender?) I have mine in the hot line, and when I drive to work in the morning my gauges moves off it's lower limit pin to about 80 degree's. That's it. I have a cold weather front, and it won't get warm. In the summer I've seen it up to about 140 when sitting in traffic. The only time you heat the fluid up is ideling or backing up. If you have your sender in the transmission, it will read around 30 degree's cooler than the hot line. So if I'm reading under 100 you will be about 70. You really gota wait till summer, run the truck about an hour in stop and go, you'll see it move then. Trust me if it stays in the cool range, that's a ok.

Tom
Old 03-04-2006, 07:24 AM

Well my gauge is mounted in my A-Pillar(3 tier set) it's on the very bottom. The sender unit is plugged into the tranny on the passanger side. There is 2 ports for it to go into, I put it in the port closest to the tire, if your laying on your back under the truck and looking at the tranny, it's the port closest to the engine. Is that the right place to install it?

I honestly had no idea it took that long to read, I thought I had a bad sender unit or I did a shafty job soldering it. I'll drive it today. I have to run some errands in town which is about 15 miles away, think it should get a reading then?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
use posi-locks! best thing out there!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 AM

Smile

What Are Posi-locks
Old 04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RMDIESEL
What Are Posi-locks
X2 on that!!

Shane
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM

I have mine in the hot line, I ordered the pre-made line from dieselmanor.com and all the wires were long enough and I also am getting the hottest reading possible, and hopefully that will give me the most advanced warning, but even in AZ it takes almost 8 - 10 minutes in the mornings to show a reading.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Depending on outside temp, it may take a while to warm up. I have an ISSPRO and use the test port (will eventually do the new line), and it takes some time for the tranny to start warming up.