3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How Critical Are Gauges...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How Critical Are Gauges...

...if you are running the Edge EZ on Level 4, you rarely pull anything, you have a modified air box with AFE Proguard Replacement filter and a 4" DPPI Exhaust?

Will I ever have a problem with EGT's given the above?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoss, you may never have a problem unloaded, but loaded you might. I don't know what size load you are carrying, but you could run into a problem real quick. I know on my truck, with the Comp, I was only seeing 950* pre turbo. This was unloaded going at speeds much faster than what I should have been doing in a truck this size. I would highly recommend getting at least an EGT gauge. The 3rd gens do run hotter than the 2nd gens so your temps will be different than mine. You'd probably be surprised at how fast the temps will rise. I know I was amazed.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:04 AM

I would highly recommend getting at least an EGT gauge.
That poses another question....the Edge instructions strongly suggested using both an EGT gauge AND a boost gauge. Until I read that, I was planning to get only an EGT gauge and the A pillar replacement from the SRT-10. Now that I read that I'm having problems deciding because I can't find a way to mount two gauges that I like.....and I don't really want the Westach combo gauge (I wish DiPricol would make a combo).

Anyway, back to the original question, 95% of the time I run completely empty. When I am towing, it's about a 7000 pound travel trailer towing 65-70 mph. That happens about once a month.

Right now I'm running the EZ on Level 4 and everything else is stock. So, I figure I'm in a lot more danger now of messing something up than I will be with the new exhaust and more air.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:16 AM

Yes on the temp guage. You could easily hit 1350 with that combo.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:19 AM

What is the limit supposed to be??
Old 05-26-2004, 10:26 AM

Hoss,

Have you looked at the X-monitor? I didn't think I would like it but the thing works like a champ and is easy to read.

I can post some pics if you want.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a good idea to have gauges. Even on a stock rig. It gives you the abilty to monitor stuff that might go wrong. Sticking injector that casues high EGT, etc.

Don~
Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone tried Stewart Warner guages. $259 for a 3 guage kit with pillar sounds pretty good!

http://rpmoutlet.com/dodgestw.htm

Here are closeups of the EGT guages

http://www.sw-performance.com/Prods/42elec.html
Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 AM

I could hit 1350 with the stock truck...so that is my self imposed limit...I let it spike to 1400 for a few seconds now and then. Other people go a little hotter for quick spurts...and there are a lot others who think constant temp sould be lower. I have a hard time believing that the temps reached with the truck stock are not ok.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by butchera
Hoss,

Have you looked at the X-monitor? I didn't think I would like it but the thing works like a champ and is easy to read.

I can post some pics if you want.
I've considered the X-monitor and I like it, but I don't really want to pay what they're asking for it.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Get the gauges Hoss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Originally posted by Hoss
Anyway, back to the original question, 95% of the time I run completely empty. When I am towing, it's about a 7000 pound travel trailer towing 65-70 mph. That happens about once a month.

Right now I'm running the EZ on Level 4 and everything else is stock. So, I figure I'm in a lot more danger now of messing something up than I will be with the new exhaust and more air.
Hoss,,,,, Hoss,,,,, Hoss,,,,,,,,
They are cheap "Piece-of-Mind" additions.
I put full gauges in my truck BEFORE I did any mods. This let me learn all the parameters of the truck and also the variations of the same parameters when towing my 10,000 lb. 5er. Because of this, I was able to change some of my driving techniques to attain the best results.

Think about this,,,,,,, and the situation in your quote above,,,,,,
You, Mrs Hoss and little Hoss going on a camping trip and one of your inter-cooler boots starts leaking. You think to yourself that it must be a headwind or your imagination, so you push a little harder on the go-pedal,,,,, without gauges,,,,,, you don't see that you have only half the boost and the EGT's are climbing rapidly,,,,,,,,,,, push a little harder on the go pedal,,,,,,,,, knock,,,knock,,,,knock,,,,,, who's there?,,,,,,,,,,, "Hole in piston,,,,,",,,,,,,, hole in piston who?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:20 PM

So what's your point??
Old 05-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
So what's your point??
His point is obviously that if Mrs Hoss, hadn't made you go to that stupid campground in the mountains, instead of on the lake where you wanted to go, none of this would of happened

No Kidding Hoss, go with the gauges they are cheap insurance!

Also if you don't already have a brake controller, look at the Brakesmart unit, it has an egt warning module that will warn you of excessive EGT's if it happens.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:39 PM

I suppose I'm convinced. I've already got a Jordan controller though...no Brakesmart for me.

I still can't make up my mind which gauges to get though. I REALLY like the DiPricol gauges, but I also REALLY like the SRT-10 pillar...and unfortunately DiPricol doesn't make a combo EGT/boost gauge to fit in the single pod on the pillar. I don't care much for the looks of the Westach at night (from what I've seen), and I'm not 100% sold on the X-Monitor (seems like a really complicated install and I don't need the tranny temp gauge since I have a manual and I don't want to pay a bunch of extra money to get fuel pressure gauge instead of tranny gauge). I don't want them on the dash...and I don't want them on the steering column....and I don't want three gauges under my radio. I don't want anything I have to paint because I don't want the paint flaking off. So, basically, I'm picky and I'm stuck.

Right now, I suppose I'm leaning towards the SRT-10 pillar with the Westach combo gauge....even though I really don't like the looks of it at night. Or....the SRT-10 pillar with a single DiPricol EGT gauge....but then everyone says it's good to have a boost gauge.

Why can't they make an SRT-10 replacement pillar with TWO gauges side by side where the single one is now?? THAT would be PERFECT and they would sell like hotcakes!!

What to do, what to do.....
Old 05-26-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Mike67RS
Has anyone tried Stewart Warner guages. $259 for a 3 guage kit with pillar sounds pretty good!

http://rpmoutlet.com/dodgestw.htm

Here are closeups of the EGT guages

http://www.sw-performance.com/Prods/42elec.html
Man, now I want to know about those too! That looks like a pretty good deal, especially on a budget...-Steve

Quick Reply: How Critical Are Gauges...