3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

H2 rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rambunctious,

I'm not too sure it's a good idea to open up the center cap recess on the H2 wheels. Did you look at them and determine there was enough meat to still be factory strong? I looked at it and I didn't like the option of cutting away metal at the highest stress area of the wheel. Be careful! Look at it again and see how much thinner it is. It's so easy to cut the caps and it doesn't affect the wheel strength.

Wetspirit
Old 04-15-2006, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubled up my lug nuts and put my caps on a really nice look it turned out nicer than I thought it would. I just could not see cuttin up those caps especiially sice I did not really have proper tools to use. 40 bucks for nuts from the dodge dismantler kinda steep I thought but worth it in my eyes cobsiderin I would have wrecked at least one cap at 40- 50 bucks a go.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:12 AM

center caps

hi , i just installed me h2 rims , i am running the h2 center caps all the way around . i cut out the center of the rears to clear the hubs , you then need an 2 more center caps you need to cut all the clips off the back sand the one you cut the center out and use 5 minute epoxy and glue the two together works great .
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adventuris
hi , i just installed me h2 rims , i am running the h2 center caps all the way around . i cut out the center of the rears to clear the hubs , you then need an 2 more center caps you need to cut all the clips off the back sand the one you cut the center out and use 5 minute epoxy and glue the two together works great .
I tried that first but I didn't like that my truck then said "Hummer" on it all the time. It's not a Hummer.

Wetspirit
Old 04-17-2006, 05:36 AM

I tried this way back when I first got the H-2 rims as well and did not like the look, the ram caps look considerably better IMO .
Old 04-20-2006, 10:31 AM

I had looked at extending the H2 caps at one time before I just reused my Dodge ones.

To get rid of the "Hummer" part, an idea I had was to hi-light the big "C" that is outside the Hummer & cover over the Hummer with a plate & "Cummins"

If you have access to a set of H2 caps, you'll see what I mean. I was looking at extending the H2 caps with a thin Al tube & couldn't find any that looked suitable so I didn't go this route but I still think it would look great.

Kris
Old 04-20-2006, 10:43 AM

For those that have used two sets of lugnuts to mount the factory caps, did you use a second set of 'factory' lugs, or just a cheap set from a parts store? I'm going to mount mine this afternoon (hopefully), but there doesn't seem to be enough threads showing on the bolts with the factory lugnuts on them. I haven't put a nut on them to see if it will stick, but it seems that another lugnut would easily rattle off.
........Maybe I'm missing something; It's been a crazy week .......
Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM

I think what you want to do if you go this route, is to get as much of the lug nut on the available threads as you can. You'll probably have to use some loctite on the threads to keep 'em from rattling off. The people that go this route, I believe, all use lugnuts.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 PM

I used stock nuts pretty sure you have to to get that lip that the cap attaches to call a wrecker thats where I got mine 40$ might have been a lil steep but whats done is done 700 for bfg 315s and chrome wheels i could spare some.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PWT05Dodge
For those that have used two sets of lugnuts to mount the factory caps, did you use a second set of 'factory' lugs, or just a cheap set from a parts store? I'm going to mount mine this afternoon (hopefully), but there doesn't seem to be enough threads showing on the bolts with the factory lugnuts on them. I haven't put a nut on them to see if it will stick, but it seems that another lugnut would easily rattle off.
........Maybe I'm missing something; It's been a crazy week .......
The wheel shop that did mine used a set of el-cheapo lug nuts that were smaller than stock. I imagine stock lug nuts would work also.