3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

3" Lift and 37" MTR's

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3" Lift and 37" MTR's

Here is a picture of my truck with new 37-12.50/17 Goodyear MTR's and H2 rims. [IMG] [/IMG]

Hope this works.... first time posting Pics in a thread...........
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM

do they rub??????
Old 04-18-2006, 05:27 PM

There are a few more pics in my gallery. I haven't put the center caps on yet, but they'll be on this weekend and I'll take a few more pics.

I installed a 3" Topguncustomz Spacer in the front, and 2" Tuff County blocks in the rear. BEFORE anyone tells me that it is just a highway queen, let me explain my future plans....

Army is sending me out for awhile this summer, so the truck is mostly going to be sitting for 2-3 months. When I get back (possibly before I leave if I'm real nice to the pretty lady I call my wife), a ThurenFabrication trackbar is going in along with DTprofab 1/2" longer control arms.

In the fall, I will be installing Thuren's shock mounts with 2.5" King Remote rezzies. Then, next step will be Lorenz's Infinite Springs (if everyone is as pleased with them as I'm sure they will be) and Carlisuspension Rear Add-a-Paks. I like the Carli's b/c they use 5 leaves, which in my simple mind means better towing capacity. (I could be, and probably am wrong) But spoke with them, and they seem to lift the rear more than Lorenz or Kore. (again, I may be wrong)

So to bring this to a point, I spent right at $200 to lift the truck enough to clear 37" Goodyears. I did this b/c I don't make a lot of money so I have to plan out each step along the way. (and convince my wife that this will make my truck SOOOOOOO much better)

And I am extremely happy with the end product. I have no clearance/rubbing issues. (It's close at the rear of the front fenders. The longer control arms should fix it no problem, and center the tires in the wheelwell). And the truck drives awesome!! The truck is perfectly geared now for driving empty/unloaded. And when I tow, I can simply use 1st to start, and 5th to tow up hills on the highway, if needed. Slight tire whine, but IMO it is less than the BFG MT's that I ran on my 2000.

I have not gotten my speedo recalibrated, but once I do I'll report on mileage before and after. (hand calculated)

Hope this helps any who are considering or dreaming of a bigger, more beautiful Ram in their driveway. It looks great!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sharp truck, I was one of the ones who requested pics on the other post, thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Nice, sounds like you have lots of good plans.

I should have the Infinite Springs soon. I will try and remember to do a OEM Spring, 580 rate spring, Infinite rate spring Comparo.

I do need the 37s now. my 35s look small.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do yall think them 37s would look like on my dually? After a little more lift.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 PM

forget the truck, show more pics of the girl!!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by nriver
I should have the Infinite Springs soon. I will try and remember to do a OEM Spring, 580 rate spring, Infinite rate spring Comparo.
Variable rate springs are pretty much useless unless you plan on using all 4-5" of droop you have left in your suspension (in other words, running the rough stuff at speed).

2.5-3" of additional ride height doesn't give the spring enough compression travel to make the variable rate effective.

Don't buy into the hype guys, unless you plan on running Baja like Kroeker, Boardman and a few others it's not worth the money. You'll get a much better pavement ride and better off road performance with a lighter linear rate spring and a properly valved shock.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 AM

I can say am pretty happy with the VR/IR springs I am running.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Variable rate springs are pretty much useless unless you plan on using all 4-5" of droop you have left in your suspension (in other words, running the rough stuff at speed).

2.5-3" of additional ride height doesn't give the spring enough compression travel to make the variable rate effective.

Don't buy into the hype guys, unless you plan on running Baja like Kroeker, Boardman and a few others it's not worth the money. You'll get a much better pavement ride and better off road performance with a lighter linear rate spring and a properly valved shock.

Interesting comments. I had not thought about it that way. Ill let ya know after i change them out if there is any noticible difference.

I do agree that allot of it is hype.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 AM

nriver,
I can almost guarantee 100% that you will like the IR coil.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:25 AM

The girl is my wife!! You can look, but I would highly advise you to never, ever touch..... I'd be a little upset....

But thanks for the compliment!! She is definately the best thing in my life right behind our 4 month old Golden Retriever. And I'm sure she'd say the same about me. The day we brought the truck home, she was more excited than me. She rocks.

So back to trucks..............

What would people recommend as the best Coil Spring for 2.5"-3.5" lift? Springs only, not full kits. Lorenz, Carli, Kore, SKyjacker, TuffCountry, etc. What other companies make custom springs? I'd be willing to bet many of these companies use the same springs from the same companies, and just color them to match the lift kit.

And to I'd like to hear feedback on the IR springs, or if anyone switched from Kore's 'normal' springs to the VR's. Any differences on road, off road; likes/dislikes. The idea of the springs seems awesome, best of both worlds. But maybe it is just a gimmick?!?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 AM

PWT05Dodge, check with Don Thuren on coil springs, I've heard he has a good connection on them, custom made like you want.

My computer is messed up right now, so I cant see the pics, but once I can, I may have to start gathering parts to do the same thing with mine.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 AM

you can also go direct to coilspring.com and tell them what you want. I have not proced them out, some local guys have used them. I hear they are the ones who make allot of the springs out there anyway.

I would think that it would cost more than going to one of the people who have a large set of them made.

I do like my Lorenz springs. I have no issues. The IR coils should be interesting to try.

If you have not looked, there are pictures in the gallery.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:04 AM

Don, Sage, myself and last I heard Sean are all using CSS for coils......and I know Don, Sage and I are all spec'ing pretty close, within 40# either way depending on how the truck is set up.

Price difference for the average buyer is pretty close, you don't need to order multiple sets. IIRC, last quote I got for a +6" coil was somewhere between $325-350/pair.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift and 37" MTR's