3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got my Donaldson 51" muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccart
Thanx TCR. According to a post in this older thread on the Donaldson & Nelson 51" mufflers, the flow specs are pretty close to one another. Read the one thread by Doug.

Thanx.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...naldson+nelson
If you are talking about the 2-51" mufflers I'm thinking about, there's absolutely no way they flow the same. The one w/ the baffle you can barely see light through, the other you could drop a baseball through and it would never slow down. Just my .02
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Hmmm, sounds like leaving the cat in would sound better, but that wouls make the tail pipe angle kinda wonky wouldn't it?

I read the post about cat removal making the exhaust sound raspy. I guess all this stuff is subjective as I removed the cat on mine and there is no raspy sound at all. It is simply deeper and slightly louder than stock.

Cat removal made for an easier install of the muffler as well due to having a straight line install.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:24 PM

Thanx for the time guys. Hey TCR, Is the pyramid/cone/baffle/thingy look like something that is easy to remove? Would removing it somehow mess up the integtrity of the rest of the muffler's internals?
Thanx.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Smokeman
I read the post about cat removal making the exhaust sound raspy. I guess all this stuff is subjective as I removed the cat on mine and there is no raspy sound at all. It is simply deeper and slightly louder than stock.

Cat removal made for an easier install of the muffler as well due to having a straight line install.
Your right it is subjective, I posted that it made it a little more raspy because I have heard both side by side. It's not that big of a difference. I just don't want the hassle of answering questions about why I took the cat if the man starts checking them. The power gain is minimal by taking it off. You do have a good point about making it easier to install. Later
Old 12-31-2006, 07:27 PM

Thanx for the time guys. Hey TCR, Is the pyramid/cone/baffle/thingy look like something that is easy to remove? Would removing it somehow mess up the integtrity of the rest of the muffler's internals?
Thanx.
No, I have done at least (4) of them and no problems.

I have used the Donaldson 51" with the baffle. It is very simple to straighten the baffle inside. If you have access to a metel oxygen bottle valve cover you can place that inside the muffler and use a heavy pipe to drive it past the baffle to open it up. Since the top of the valve cover is rounded it makes it open up perfectly... no complaints. The reason I have done this is because it is easier to pick up a baffled Donaldson in my area instead of ordering the offroad one. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TXDRAM
No, I have done at least (4) of them and no problems.

I have used the Donaldson 51" with the baffle. It is very simple to straighten the baffle inside. If you have access to a metel oxygen bottle valve cover you can place that inside the muffler and use a heavy pipe to drive it past the baffle to open it up. Since the top of the valve cover is rounded it makes it open up perfectly... no complaints. The reason I have done this is because it is easier to pick up a baffled Donaldson in my area instead of ordering the offroad one. Good luck.

Thanx a bunch TXDRAM. You know this situation up & down. I will do it (of course my muffler guy has tank covers hanging around). I look forward to being done with it so I can stop thinking about it.

Thanx everyone for all the help. I got a bubnch of threads going on this while I ponder. Tuesday I will stop cursing thie board with my different questions on the same thing.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:17 PM

Thanx a bunch TXDRAM. You know this situation up & down. I will do it (of course my muffler guy has tank covers hanging around). I look forward to being done with it so I can stop thinking about it.

Thanx everyone for all the help. I got a bubnch of threads going on this while I ponder. Tuesday I will stop cursing thie board with my different questions on the same thing.
I know what you mean, I went though the same thing. You will like it once it's
on there. Good luck!