3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Getting ready to Dyno Advise Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready to Dyno Advise Needed.

I am going to a dyno day and need input on what I should run. With my mods what program should I use. 4.2 seems strong, Revo I just loaded so not sure yet or can I get away with using TNT. No money yet for turbo but maybe a box to stack. I will be going will a 04.5 3500 dually 6sp with an aurora 3000 and crazy larry. I would hate to lose out to him.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM

Load the TNT and do some testing on the road. Is the recon a rp gauge?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM

KNow what else this guy has? Any other cp3o or fuel (sticks? MP8?)
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 AM

The other truck does not have any sticks or cp3 mods. And he is not stacking boxes.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 AM

I do not have a rail pressure gauge yet. I think I am going to get the quad rail gauge in a few days.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 AM

If it's a Dynojet dyno then I wouldn't be afraid to turn up the fuel and let her eat. The run will be quick enough that even EGT's upwards of 1600 for a few seconds ain't going to hurt anything. The Smarty should help you a bunch. If it's any other type of dyno where it "loads" the truck and the run takes more time then I would be careful of high EGT's and extreme drive pressures (head gasket trouble) with that stock turbo. That will be the only advantage he has over you. His A3k will cool enough so he will be able to boost it on the dyno and actually turn decent numbers but on a Dynojet he will lose some of that advantage. The biggest disadvantage I see for you is your auto tranny versus his 6 speed. That 6 speed will like the dyno a bunch better than your auto. Your auto will want to shift prematurely because of the lack of load on the Dynojet. That causes problems with trying to build boost. The other problem is when the dyno operator mashes the peddle, then the tranny will want to downshift. The best thing you can do is turn of OD or stay in tow/haul mode and then the dyno operator will have to make it stay locked up so it won't down shift which means he will have to be aware of the speed/RPM where the tranny would normally try to downshift and stay just ahead of that if that makes sense. Good luck.

If you run on anything besides a Dynojet then disregard everything I said.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
If it's a Dynojet dyno then I wouldn't be afraid to turn up the fuel and let her eat. The run will be quick enough that even EGT's upwards of 1600 for a few seconds ain't going to hurt anything. The Smarty should help you a bunch. If it's any other type of dyno where it "loads" the truck and the run takes more time then I would be careful of high EGT's and extreme drive pressures (head gasket trouble) with that stock turbo. That will be the only advantage he has over you. His A3k will cool enough so he will be able to boost it on the dyno and actually turn decent numbers but on a Dynojet he will lose some of that advantage. The biggest disadvantage I see for you is your auto tranny versus his 6 speed. That 6 speed will like the dyno a bunch better than your auto. Your auto will want to shift prematurely because of the lack of load on the Dynojet. That causes problems with trying to build boost. The other problem is when the dyno operator mashes the peddle, then the tranny will want to downshift. The best thing you can do is turn of OD or stay in tow/haul mode and then the dyno operator will have to make it stay locked up so it won't down shift which means he will have to be aware of the speed/RPM where the tranny would normally try to downshift and stay just ahead of that if that makes sense. Good luck.

If you run on anything besides a Dynojet then disregard everything I said.
Aren't you connected with Dynojet in a way? If so, I have some questions about mine.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:24 AM

Thanks guys, I hope it is a dynojet. I dynoed on a superflow and thought the numbers came in alittle low. I am loading up the tnt and will see what happens. I am going to try and dyno the revo and also the 4.2 or tnt. That Revo runs very smooth and little smoke.