24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Getting ready for new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready for new clutch

Ok guys, gonna order a South Bend CON-o for my truck next week, need a couple pointers here. I know I gotta get a tranny jack cuz the 5600 is ungodly heavy, I know I need to resurface the flywheel. But I've never replaced a clutch before, I can work on cars, just never done a clutch. I still got a few questions.<br>Should I replace the flywheel bolts? Some say yes, some say no &quot;Just use loctite&quot;. I'd feel better with new bolts, but where do I get them? DC? Hardware store? <br>Should I put a light coat of grease on the input shaft? How about the throwout bearing?<br>How do I &quot;seat&quot; the new clutch on the first drive? I assume I should expect some slippage until it fully seats. <br>Have I missed anything?<br>I appreciate everyone's help and advice/ <br>-Dave
Old 05-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Getting ready for new clutch

Resurface the flywheel: Yes<br>New Bolts: Yes<br>Loctite: Yes ( BLUE LOCTITE ONLY! It's medium strength)<br><br>You can buy New Bolt's at your dealer, napa, shuck's, any part's store should have them or be able to order them. NOTE*: Flywheel Bolt's are a special bolt for that application! Do not buy bolts at the hardware store!!!!!<br>A little dab of blue loctite and torqe to spec, you will be fine.<br><br>As far as &quot;seating&quot; the clutch, I am not familier with a performance clutch. I would say drive it easy (normal) for the first few hundred miles, then you can get wild with it! ;D
Old 05-23-2003, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count one vote for replacing the throwout bearing while the transmission is out.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to install a SB maybe out at Ramminon's place in MO some time in July or August I hope if I don't tear it out before then. Going to take my R model JD to the New York Expo in July and I hope it gets me up there and back. This is about 22000 pounds gross with all the wheel weights and stuff.<br>I will be replacing the flywheel, bolts, pilot bushing, throw out bearing, and more than likely the slave cylinder. I want to do it one time and do it right.<br>Just my opinion and of course my money too.<br><br>DD4X4