3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Friends 2004

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends 2004

My buddy has a 2004 with auto trans and just did a upgrade on his chip/computer? I am not sure what program but it gave him an extra 100 HP and around 200 TQ. He still has no gauges and the shop told him he would be fine unless he tows. I have told him since day one..... GAUGES first...!!!

Being that I have a 94 12 valve I am not sure how 100 HP gain will effect the 24 valves EGT;s. My friend says his overhead computer is showing a gain of 7 MPG. I told him he needs to hand calculate before he gets to excited. Any input on EGT's with an additional 100 HP?

Thanks.....
Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

A lot will depend on what programmer / chip he put on there, some chips are a real hot 100 hp, others are mild mannered at that level. he better be carefull till he does the gauges. it is not nerly as bad to install a pyro, I put it off and put it off, then last week got out and dit it. I drilled withthe motor running a pilot hole first, bout an eighth inch, then the R sized bit that came with my tap. I used my cordless Dewalt and just propped my self up there and did it. Tell your buddy to look here in the classified section, I think I saw a pyro for about 100 bux. Also get said buddy signed up over here and get him readin, lots to learn and always room for more folks.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by West Coast
My buddy has a 2004 with auto trans and just did a upgrade on his chip/computer? I am not sure what program but it gave him an extra 100 HP and around 200 TQ. He still has no gauges and the shop told him he would be fine unless he tows. I have told him since day one..... GAUGES first...!!!

Being that I have a 94 12 valve I am not sure how 100 HP gain will effect the 24 valves EGT;s. My friend says his overhead computer is showing a gain of 7 MPG. I told him he needs to hand calculate before he gets to excited. Any input on EGT's with an additional 100 HP?

Thanks.....
i ran my smarty at 90 hp constantly and my egts wouldnt go above 1100. now programs are different so id think he would be right around 1200, cause i hit that stock every so often- NOT towing. depending on his other mods, his egts could be diff- mods like an intake and exhaust will lower and help the egts.

as far as his 7 mpg gain, hand calculating is the way to go. that overhead number means jack s---
Old 04-26-2008, 05:49 PM

i ran my pred and quad box for a long time with no gauges,when i got them i was shocked how fast things got hot,eeeek,get gauges man get gauges.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Now that he has added some extra HP to his truck he has got the "HP bug" for sure. How much HP can a stock 04 tranny take?

I always tell him no matter how fast you make your truck you will not be able out run two things...... Your payment and my 94...LOL....

Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock 48RE cannot even handle a 60 HP increase unless you drive it carefully and keep the revs up. Sounds like your friend is about to find out a thing or two about burned up parts. Wanting more, more, more and not getting gauges or doing the tranny means failure is just around the corner.

He's also in fantasy land with the mileage. The computer "thinks" the mileage is higher because of the programming. Maybe two mpg more because of the timing, but not seven. The computer is being tricked.

He definately needs to become a member here and do some reading. It will save him a lot of trouble, make him some new friends and give him a chance to understand his truck.

PS. West Coast, Nice looking truck! I'll be in Smith Valley this week and hoping to feel a few quakes.

John
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 AM

John (Raspy) thanks for the input and compliments on my truck. I have tried to warn my friend about his truck but he feels pretty confident about the guys who sold him the stuff. And funny thing is, none of them have dodges. One guy is into Imports and the other two have Chevys. I would feel more confident going to to a shop that the guys have first hand knowledge of Dodges because they own them not just sell parts for them.

The quakes have settle down for now. But we where having over 30 a day....!! For almost a month... YIKES...!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:25 AM

I met a guy the other day, running mp8, smarty, and 100 hp injectors and no gauges, and a stock clutch. I told him he was a dumb*** for even running the smarty with no gauges, much less all the other stuff he had. Needless to say, 2 days later I saw his truck in the local diesel shop getting a new clutch, and some other stuff fixed that he had broken
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM

I think my buddy is running the predator program....
Old 05-09-2008, 12:05 PM

if he is running the predator he better get gauge soon. if i am driving my truck hard the egts go threw the roof.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Pred is know for high egts, my $$ is on his tranny puking first, then the a valve seat from excessive EGTS....
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah-- the friend is getting into some deep water and no life jacket-- I see the sharks circling...

Tell him the best thing he can do for himself right now before he blows something up is to get educated on his truck in a hurry... refer him here and tell him to read.