3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

First Post so be gentle :) Audio/Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post so be gentle :) Audio/Navigation

I just purchased a 2006 Dodge Dually Diesel 5.9L Laramie package. This will be my 3rd one. LUVVVVV the 5.9L
I have a standard radio in it with the infinity system speakers. I am 63 half deaf and can't hear the other half of the time

BUT.... I would like to remove the dash bezel, pull the radio and put in a "Purdy" Touch screen, GPS, Bluetooth, TV, USB, Ipod, AM/FM/ CD/DVD, and if possible a 2 fingers dispenser of Lowland Scotch chilled to 44 degrees

So considering I know little to nothing (ah crap, I know nuthin) about these new Touch screen units, and appreciating my need for pure clarity in music has been diminished significantly here are the questions.

1) What would you recommend for a middle of the road Touch screen Nav unit that would fit, preferably plug and play?
2) How do I determine if my interior is Wood/Slate or Wood/Grey or Wood/Silver etc so when I order the Nav Bezel I get the right one?
3) what other pieces do I need to install it?

I would prefer not to be pulling out speakers, etc so something that would work with the existing speakers would be ideal, thanks in advance for any help.

Mods if this is in wrong section, I apologize.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM

And.......my last post, no one here bye
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Missed ya by 5 minutes I was going to say I don't think there is one. An aftermarket nav that's plug and play and fills the hole. My son had a second nav installed in place of the factory radio in his 2011, it has a bezzle and I've seen it with the front off and they hacked the dash.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Look at the Pioneer AVIC models... That's what I have in my 07.5. Love it, does it all, but use the iPhone for nav now.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 PM

I have the AVH-p4400 it has a 7" touch screen, Sirius xm, iPod, pandora, hd radio DVD, cd USB, Bluetooth hands free and opitional back up camera, you can also upload images for a custom back ground

Here's mine [IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RamminJ
Look at the Pioneer AVIC models... That's what I have in my 07.5. Love it, does it all, but use the iPhone for nav now.
Thanks, thought the forum was dead

I need a wiring diagram for the audio system too is there any here?
Thats what I was concerned about, I do all this work and end up using my iphone more then the Nav unit.

If I buy a REC NAV and install it will I have to buy anything else other then the unit and its sat radio antennae? Will it plug into the infinity system etc?
Are all the REC NAV units the same or must I find one that is a 2006 unit? I know that newer ones have a higher speed bus, but not sure when it went from the lower speed the 2006 has to the newer speed?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Honestly mine was done by someone else several years ago... Many up grades since then to theses units. Nav is better in the newer ones. My nav does fine, but with my DW she can use the iPhone and look up satellite images as well with google maps.

If your rig originally came with a stock nav system then switching out should be relatively trouble free. (Mine did) Otherwise some peripherals will be needed.

Check out Crutchfield's online catalog... They might be a good resource to help you find what you need. I did my home system through them and they were a great help.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may need an adapter (Metra makes them) or have to bypass your Infinity amp and use the new head unit's amp. I know that's true for the 04.5/05 trucks with Infinity amps. This may have changed for 06. A local car stereo shop will likely know what to do.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by TC233
And.......my last post, no one here bye
Wow at age 63 I would have thought you were not part of the "Entitlement" got to have it right now crowd

Seriously you have to give people time to reply as most of them have jobs and other commitments to deal with and only post here during free moments As you can see a little patience goes a long way around here and I have no doubt you will get the info you are looking for

Glad to have you with us