3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGT water/methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGT water/methanol injection

I went on a trip last week to Reno from southern California pulling my 10,000 pound fifth wheel On some really steep climbs I noticed the EGTs really getting up there like 1350 to 1500 I would then naturally back off the throttle a little and they would go down to the 1200 range, I have the standard Quad box and it did not seem to make any differance on the power setting on or off it still did about the same thing, Im thinking of trying a water/ methanol injection system, in this months Diesel Power it lists three companys, I'm looking for ease of installation, and since i'm basically stock except for the Quad chip and the Magnaflow muffler probably just need a basic kit. Sometimes I would like to be able to give it full throttle with out having to worry.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm interested in water/meth injection too, is there any difference between different kits- like Coolingmist and Snow- that anyone could expand on? Its about to warm up here in Tucson.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 PM

I have a snow stage II on my truck that drops my egts by about 200 degrees. There are two nozzles with this kit that both tap into the intake manifold, one of them is the smaller nozzle that comes on at lower boost levels 15-25 psi i think, you can adjust the number in that range...then a second nozzle that comes on at higher boost levels. Definately worth it IMO
Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 3500lly
I have a snow stage II on my truck that drops my egts by about 200 degrees. There are two nozzles with this kit that both tap into the intake manifold, one of them is the smaller nozzle that comes on at lower boost levels 15-25 psi i think, you can adjust the number in that range...then a second nozzle that comes on at higher boost levels. Definately worth it IMO
I dont think the two different nozzles come on at different times, if you have the varible controller, it turns both nozzles on at a pre set minimun boost and ramps it up to the full max boost setting on the controller, so the water/meth comes on gradual not all at once.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pitz
I'm interested in water/meth injection too, is there any difference between different kits- like Coolingmist and Snow- that anyone could expand on? Its about to warm up here in Tucson.
Coolingmist is by far more advanced... Many more options, injection is available based on EGT, customer defined injection curves, EGT and Boost, and the standard boost that Snows kit offers...

Both nozzles inject at the same time, single line is split with a tee to the nozzles
Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 AM

I just put a Snow Stage 3 on my truck which adds methanol based on boost and/or EGT using an electronic controller in the cab. The installation was somewhat time consuming and required additional parts from a hardware store. I tapped into my windshield washer reservoir and it works great. Keeps the EGTs a little lower and adds some power as well. Drawbacks are that you can go through a lot of methanol very quickly if you are towing a load or driving very aggressively. If you only want to keep your EGT's down and don't want to have to keep refilling a methanol tank you might want to go a different route, such as better exhaust setup, better intercooler, or better turbo.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 AM

If you have a system that delivers enough flow to cool the EGT's by 200 degrees, as referenced above, what kind of fluid volume are you going through, in say 10 minutes of solid, hard pulling? Let's say like going north on 395 out of Bishop, CA to Tom's place while trying to keep the EGT's in check while loaded heavy.

Anybody that's been there knows that pulls don't normally come a lot harder than that one. Steeper, yes. More crooked, sure. Longer w/o a break, not many. Are you gonna go through a quart pulling that hill? Half a gallon? A gallon?

I've just always thought the water/meth systems were more suitable to a racing application than to heavy towing due to the volumes you could easily consume in a day of hard towing.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the dual-staged switch-logic H2O/CH3OH injection control assembly I designed for the '05:

It initiates 2 5gph sub50 micron nozzles and uses a 10 gallon SS tank that mounts where the muffler used to be... good for 60 minutes of continuous WOT
Old 05-11-2007, 07:23 PM

That looks great! Nice job!