3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Edge ez Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge ez Questions

Next month I will have enough saved up to buy an edge ez. I have a few questions.
1. Does it come with boost elbow?
2. Will be another month or so before I get an egt guage. With the few mods I have, will pulling 8k lbs be safe? What level?
3. Who has the best prices on the edge ez?
I dont want alot more power, just want to stay in overdrive with the travel trailer in the hills.
Any info will be helpful.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:25 AM

I just installed mine.

Yes it comes with a boost elbow with a very, very small orifice compared to the stock elbow.

I don't have the gauge installed yet and I'm really nervous about towing my boat. Advice I have received, get the gauge installed but you can be safe on Level 1 and probably 2. I do know that I'm running hotter on Level 3 with nothing behind me. I've just "tested" the EZ around town. I can smell more of that "brand new exhaust system being broke in" smell that I haven't had for several months since truck isn't new anymore.

I got my EZ on E-Bay for $395.

I do like the kick in the pants it has!

Good Luck,
Roger
Old 06-24-2004, 04:23 AM

I think you will be OK with your current mods while towing. Not too sure how well the glasspack will help with your EGTs but most of the straight through 4" mufflers will help drop the temps. I've towed around 12,000 lbs with mine with the box on level 4 and with no guages. I do not tow often but if I did I would definitely get at least an EGT guage. I would just take it easy towing until you get the EGT guage in.
Oh ya, you will enjoy the extra power, towing or not...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Ca SO with the EDGE EZ installed. I tow a 7000-8000lb boat between CA and AZ over some pretty steep grades. Just to be safe, stay on level 2 until you get your pyrometer. That said, I never saw above 1150 degrees on level 3 while climbing hard. You should be fine. I am not too sure about pulling up grades in OD. Your truck will have the HP for it, but I think you will be limited with your 47RE. Keep your RPM's above 1700RPM while towing, and avoid climbing in OD. The 47RE was not originally designed to handle the HP and torque your truck will be putting out.

You will be amazed by how the EZ will make your SO come alive.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the info so far. My glass pack is 4'' i.d. all the way through by 36'' long. I think it should help a little with egt's along with the pg7 cold air intake.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:23 AM

I put the elbow boost on yesterday and my boost now goes to 30psi instead of 20psi when it was stock. Will tow a 9000k 5th wheel today for the first time with the edge ez and elbow.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Edge ez Questions

Originally posted by kelley15
Next month I will have enough saved up to buy an edge ez. I have a few questions.
1. Does it come with boost elbow?
2. Will be another month or so before I get an egt guage. With the few mods I have, will pulling 8k lbs be safe? What level?
3. Who has the best prices on the edge ez?
I dont want alot more power, just want to stay in overdrive with the travel trailer in the hills.
Any info will be helpful.
1. Yes
2. I'd say set it on Level 1 and as long as you don't try to go 80 mph up hills you should be okay. Just don't try to push it too hard.
3. I got mine new on Ebay for $395 shipped. That was about a month ago and last I checked the same store was still selling them for the same price. "Big Dawg Diesel" or something like that.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:05 AM

After alot of research I went with VanAaken c3.1 box. In cab controller, less $$$,
mapped to fuel curve to prevent egt overload. Plugs into computer rather than just sensors. JRE was vary helpfull in the process!
Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

EZ Questions

kelley15,

The members are correct in all their replies to you. I would always reccomend a pyro if you tow much so try to get that in the budget ASAP. No need by the way to go to e bay, we are a sponsoring vendor here on the site and we guarantee all of our pricing to be the best so if you have questions or need product please call us and we will be glad to help.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 07-12-2004, 01:14 AM

Ordered the edge ez from diesel performance parts inc. Should be here 7-14-04. Going to tow the travel trailer out to Junction Texas. Will tow on level 2 untill I get some gauges. DPPI matched a competitors price and were very helpful with my order. Was very happy to be able to buy from an advertiser of the DTR.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:49 PM

Installed the edge ez today. (Thank you Mark craig @ DPPI) great deal and fast shipping. Truck runs very well on level 3. Backed it down to 2 for tt towing in a.m. Will be calling Mark real soon for an egt gauge. My filter minder moved today for the first time about a third. Without the edge on there it never moved, also saw some smoke when I was ''testing'' it out. Really like the edge ez
Old 07-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned

kelley15,

Yep that's the typical response when you install an EZ, enjoy it, be cautious on temps till you get some gauges though. The EZ will add the fuel that will increase boost levels and that will make the stock air box pretty marginal flow wise. Thanks for the business and have some fun.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 07-21-2004, 08:50 AM
abb

Mark I've a mack cold air system and the air gauge will go to 85% when I romp on it is that normal, and is the Edge or the Pedator going to make it go all the way to 100% and if you don't mind which one of these boxes do you think does the better safer jobfixing to put one on !
Old 07-24-2004, 11:14 PM

Abb, if you are going to 85% stock. The box will max it out. I have the afe magnum force with pg/7. Never used to move before the ez. Getting more fuel so using more air. I asked a question about putting a BHAF where the pg/7 is but didnt get much response. Maybe someone could help us out a little.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 AM

I've been running a similar set-up with Edge EZ and an AirRaid Quickfit system now for almost two months. I run the box on Level 3, mostly empty, but have towed my bass boat at about 5000lbs. With the stock box, I could immediatly pull the filter minder to 100%. The AirRaid filter is a BHAF at about twice the size of the AFE cone. The filter minder hasn't moved off the reset position yet!

Quick Reply: Edge ez Questions