3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Don't like the sound of muffler delete. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't like the sound of muffler delete. Suggestions?

Well, the title pretty well sums it up. I've done the muffler delete (still has cat and resonator), but I don't really like the sound. Not the sound level, but the actual tone. Sounds too raspy or something, I don't know I can't really describe it. I think I want it to be deeper pitched. I had a straight exaust on a 12v cummins in a Surburban that I really liked the sound of......can't remember exhaust size.........probably only 3". It was kinda loud when you were on the throttle..........I don't really think I'd want this family/towing vehicle to be THAT loud.

Anybody have suggestions for a better (deeper?) sound without excessive drone or being obnoxiously loud?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Try making the kitty puke it's guts out and try a donaldson muffler. I like the way mine sounds. Has a big rig sound and no drone.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 PM

When I did the muff delete, I thought the same thing. I thought it sounded too "metallic". I drove it for a while, and call me crazy, the sound got better. Best I can figure is that the soot build-up on the clean muff-delete pipe changed the tone. Give it two weeks.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by svanni
When I did the muff delete, I thought the same thing. I thought it sounded too "metallic". I drove it for a while, and call me crazy, the sound got better. Best I can figure is that the soot build-up on the clean muff-delete pipe changed the tone. Give it two weeks.

funny you say that.. that is what i have found .. the more i drive it the better it sounds
weird eh ??!!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM

Same here. Drive it for a little while and listen for the changes.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 AM

51" Donaldson
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 AM

I've got an MBRP muffler. It's very deep and no metallic sound.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by stezlaki
Well, the title pretty well sums it up. I've done the muffler delete (still has cat and resonator), but I don't really like the sound. Not the sound level, but the actual tone. Sounds too raspy or something, I don't know I can't really describe it. I think I want it to be deeper pitched. I had a straight exaust on a 12v cummins in a Surburban that I really liked the sound of......can't remember exhaust size.........probably only 3". It was kinda loud when you were on the throttle..........I don't really think I'd want this family/towing vehicle to be THAT loud.

Anybody have suggestions for a better (deeper?) sound without excessive drone or being obnoxiously loud?
Youve got the 4" elbow already. I can steer you towards a 5" turbo back for very cheap. I installed last week and I love it. I had a muffler delete and loved it (it was a litle raspy) and this is way better. The 5" has a deeper sound but it is loud when you hammer the fuel peddle. Cruising 72mph and under its quieter than the last exhaust. at 73 mph there is a pretty good drone - it doesnt bother me but I keep it under 73 for the fam. Pm me if you wnt more info.

I think alot of the rasspyness come from the Cat converter. get rid of it and it will help.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Thumbs up

I think Im going to try the delete pipe, since its so cheap. Im just not sure if Im going to like it since sound is different for every person. Its worth a shot I guess.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodK
I think Im going to try the delete pipe, since its so cheap. Im just not sure if Im going to like it since sound is different for every person. Its worth a shot I guess.
As all the other guys have said on here it does sound different than a 12 valve or 24 v 2nd gen. Also after several thousand miles it starts to sound less raspy. I think you will like it.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

That's weird. Many people (myself included) think the cat and resonator with no muffler sounds great. I would describe mine as a deep tone and not raspy at all. The best part is there's absolutely no drone on the highway while towing.

If you preferred the sound of a straight piped 12V with 3" exhaust, I'm not sure moving up to 5" is going to help get the tone you're after. Maybe try removing the resonator and if that doesn't help or is worse then try messing with the cat and possibly even adding a 51" Nelson/Donaldson muffler. Not sure what else would get the sound you're looking for?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my muffler delete.........annnnnnnnnnd I'll jump on the bandwagon and admit that when I first did it I wasn't sure I made the right decision.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrussell
That's weird. Many people (myself included) think the cat and resonator with no muffler sounds great. I would describe mine as a deep tone and not raspy at all. The best part is there's absolutely no drone on the highway while towing.

If you preferred the sound of a straight piped 12V with 3" exhaust, I'm not sure moving up to 5" is going to help get the tone you're after. Maybe try removing the resonator and if that doesn't help or is worse then try messing with the cat and possibly even adding a 51" Nelson/Donaldson muffler. Not sure what else would get the sound you're looking for?
I too think megas with the cat and res sound awesome my buddy's 05 has just a cat on his and it is SUPER raspy!!! taking stuff out wont help, it will just rasp and keep getting louder.
you may want a muffler of some sorts.....
what size exhaust tip you running???
Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Add a nice long tip and it will sound much deeper and soo much better ! I could tell a difference between stock, 6"x15", and the 6"x20" tips. I've had nothing but compliments .
Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 PM

diamond eye muffler, they are best for our trucks.. straight thru but quiet it down a lil

Quick Reply: Don't like the sound of muffler delete. Suggestions?