3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Cold Air Intake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RadRam,

I think you hit on a very important factor in all this. The maintenance of the filter and it s performance after after being serviced are certianly important. I can tell you that with the cotton filters, not only are they hard to clean, but often after they are cleaned, it is easy to over oil them causing the fibers which do the filtering to stick together, possibly causing tiny holes in the filter or restricting flow. With the Scotty 2-stage foam the outter course foam is removeable for cleaning and this also allows open access to the fine inner foam for a good cleaning. The other advantage to servicing the foam filters is the the oiling, since the foam is exposed you can oil it then squeeze out the excess or blot it with a paper towel. The other adavantage of foam is it has cells not suspended fibers so even if it is over oiled, it will not damage the ability of the filter to stop dirt.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
UNI has been contacted as they are the manufacturer, I think all the manufacturers should be involved in these tests. Some of them would definately decline to participate.

Real world for me shows a lot more then a bench test...to a point.

If the results of these oil analysis' that people are getting are pretty much consistant even though they are from trucks with different environments, different oil change intervals and a lot more variables...that tells me the filter is doing its job, consistantly

A test done by an independent company with the filters in question for the truck in question may net different or similar results. If the numbers where the other way around...HIGH PPM in the real world and low in the testing...that would raise a few eye brows...probably set people into a panic mode if it was on their truck. To date, there have been no alarming reports with the UNI two stage.

I will leave it for UNI to reply and get involved. I cannot speak on behalf of someone elses products. I do approve of the UNI in my intakes though.

I would also seek permission to comment on someone elses product or tests. I learned the hard way once, not going there again.

Scotty
Old 06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

cquestad,

You are exactly correct, bias exists everywhere but, that was the beauty of this test, it was paid for by Testand Corp, I and other site Sponsors from the Duramax site (sorry guys) supplied filters at no cost and with no "skin in the game". The guy at Testand has a diesel and was willing to do it as he wanted to know himself.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Banned

Scotty,

Super hopefully Lannie will send a filter or get involved one way or the other and we'll get a test result that everyone can live with. Hope you know neither AFE or me ar trying to down you're choice of filter or you as an individual. I have just been down the foam road and seen the test results from the PG7. It was strong enough information to change what we sell here at DPPI.

I think Car nut 57 and RedRam are onto a good insight as well. The biggest thing we see when there is dirt in the intake tract is almost ALWAYS poor installtion. A clamp offset, a joint not tight, a torn or damaged filter, clamps not in their respective slots, cracked air box etc etc.

Mark @ DPPI

mark @ DPPI