3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CB radio interference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB radio interference?

I have a Bully Dog Triple Dog Downloader with Outlook Monitor in my 2004 2500, and have been running it for quite sometime with no issues. I recently installed a CB radio into the truck and now everytime I key the mic. to transmit, the Pyro. reading on the Outlook Monitor goes crazy. I key the mic., the pyro reading will shoot up to the 1600 degree range, release the mic. and it goes back to normal reading. I have double checked all grounds with the radio and the antenna and they appear to be fine. Any ideas on what is causing this to happen? For the time being, I took the radio out of the truck in fear it would screw something up with the TDDL or Monitor. Any insight into what may be causing this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Banned

If you have a magnetic base, that may be your problem.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 AM

Is the CB "hopped up"?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:49 PM

I do not have a magnetic base on the antenna, and no the CB is not hopped up. It is bone stock. I have had radios in all of my previous vehicles, and never once did I get any type of interference. This really baffles me.....
I emailed Bully Dog yesterday to see what their thoughts are on it, still waitin to hear back from them.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 PM

It sounds to me like you have a high VSWR feedback. Not to insult, but this is Voltage Standing Wave Ratio...Note the last part of the acronym. Ratio: the ratio of power being transmitted out in reference to the amount being fed back in. In other words, you could have a condition where you are transmitting more power to ground rather than out the antenna.

2 major causes are internal radio failure and POOR grounding. 99% of the time a magnetic antenna is to blame for EMI (Electro magnetin interferrence). Try a firstick and your problems should go away. Equally, ensure wehn the firstick is installed that the isolator grommet is used to prevent the lead from grounding to chassis...

just my observations....
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM

S.W.R.'s were one of my first thoughts as well, after I doubled checked the grounds, I installed an S.W.R. meter inline and checked the S.W.R.'s. On channel 20 I was getting an S.W.R. of 1.1:1 and about a 1.4:1 on channels 1 and 40. This told me that the antenna was in tune with the radio and the coax. I actually tuned the antenna to the radio before I noticed the problem with my outlook monitor. When I was tuning the antenna, I had the engine and everything off except the radio. Then, I started the truck up to go somewhere and was backing out of the driveway idleing, keyted the mic. and noticed my EGT reading went to something like 1650. Release the mic. and they went back to normal. With EGT's like that, good thing I have an intake and exhaust system installed, that radio must really be pushing some serious H.P.!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 PM

VSWR or bad ground on CB
Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 PM

You might try to move the ground or power wires away from the outlook wires if they are going over the top of each other through the firewall.

Thermocouples use a very tiniy signal that has to be amplified on the pcb and it would not take much to goof with it.

You can also use a toroid on the power wire as well and it might help.

I have seen this a lot even with analog type gauges and some CB's.

You might also switch your power to a fused power source instead of the battery if you are even hooked to the battery.

Quad
Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Break DTR for a Key board check....

I would def check the routing of your coax and cb power leads. You are more than likely inducing a voltage on your pryo wires if they are laying next to one another.