3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ca.carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ca.carb

My Question, For aftermarket parts that did not require the CARB Stricker
when you purchased them, and they were legal to be installed,(I guess) how does CA intend to deal with this ?? Such as Manifolds, Filters, Turbo upgrdes.(twins) ETC.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
Originally Posted by browndg
My Question, For aftermarket parts that did not require the CARB Stricker
when you purchased them, and they were legal to be installed,(I guess) how does CA intend to deal with this ?? Such as Manifolds, Filters, Turbo upgrdes.(twins) ETC.
If it is not stock or have the cert it is screwed
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM

There has to be a little more to it than this,if that is the case (we are screwed) before the requirements there was nothing that said your manifold must be CA. approved or not legal in Ca ??
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Yes there was, It comes under modifying approved emissions equipment. That includes just about everything on the engine. Both Fed and State. Don't kid yourself!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Like I really needed another reason to never go to Ca.

Would be nice if you guys could control a little of what your gov't does out there. Seems like your $hitty regulations always pass on to other states.

Here in Ks, the farmers and others would be marching on the state capital.

But we also don't live in a $1mill. 1500sq.ft house that we have to work non stop to pay for.

We would all be a bit better of if Cali just broke off into it's own little comi-nation.

Just a rant, don't mind anything I say.

J.D.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brian08Q35004x4
Yes there was, It comes under modifying approved emissions equipment. That includes just about everything on the engine. Both Fed and State. Don't kid yourself!

just trying to understand the grandfather clause, or convience myself not to sell my truck.

Normally when the aftermarket parts are illegal, such as the cat,shops will not remove the equipment.

what would be the difference between removing the cat verses the manifold ??
Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Exclamation

If the manifold is not CARB approved than it is the same as a CAT and the shop should of not changed it without warning you and signing a waiver. They should of still given your old parts to put back on if they started enforcing the law. The law has not changed, only additional law added to mandate testing and inspection. I feel for you as the tree hugging liberals have taken away a fun hobby and past time of modifying other than for race use. If they had there way we all would be living in communes sharing a prius with Obama sticker on it. I was lucky to be of the last generation to drive gas guzzling muscle cars. I feel sad for my sons not be able to put a car like that together.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 PM

I think this will be a big pain w/aftermarket turbos, injectors, and catless trucks.

I wonder if my turbo will allow too much lag & smoke. I hope I don't have to go from a 71 to a 65, or even lamer, back to the stocker. No worries on the cat, and I never got to injectors. Injectors was on my to-do-list, but I have been low on toy money lately anyways. We can all tune our trucks electronically.

From what I have read (never tried it myself), if you want a clean opacity test, find b100, and a big smoker will burn a bunch cleaner.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 AM

Ok... Let me make this very very clear for those less informed......
Logic and good sense don't mean diddle when it comes to the California Laws and practices set up by the state government. Sorry just Fact !
(Based on my 40+years of living there). What they do and pass into law defies all good sense. Feinstien when Mayor and her cronies passed a law outlawing ownership of guns. I guess they had not gotten around to reading the second ammendent... yet
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jmccart
I think this will be a big pain w/aftermarket turbos, injectors, and catless trucks.

I wonder if my turbo will allow too much lag & smoke. I hope I don't have to go from a 71 to a 65, or even lamer, back to the stocker. No worries on the cat, and I never got to injectors. Injectors was on my to-do-list, but I have been low on toy money lately anyways. We can all tune our trucks electronically.

From what I have read (never tried it myself), if you want a clean opacity test, find b100, and a big smoker will burn a bunch cleaner.
somke should'nt be an issue if you set your smarty on (0) which is half power, I tried it over the weekend and absolutly no some at all.

Like everything else there is away around,I will never go backwards.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Or 00 on the PoD. I did it on a truck the other day and it wouldn't free rev over 2K. That kinda tells you how little fuel it is delivering.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Muted User

We would all be a bit better of if Cali just broke off into it's own little comi-nation.

We all ready have but we ain't commies, we're just an independent bunch up here. We live in California but we just don't pay much attention to what goes on in Sacramento.

http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
Old 04-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Hopefully it will be enough of us willing to get together once this has been enforced to legally file an injunction against the state of Ca ??

You play you PAY !!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
j

Any modfication to an engine/vehicle related to external parts, requires an executive order (e.o.#) number issued by c.a.r.b. the law states the part in question has to have a stamp or plaque affixed to it (welded or punched in) and the paperwork must accompany the veh. in other words, to make it legal for use, it must have the e.o.# and the paperwork in the veh.

that being said, since diesel's aren't required to be smogged yet, i dont know if it applies, however emisions equipment is not allowed to be altered or removed (like cat's). for those of us who have excessive emisions, aka black smoke, a "ringleman chart" can be used to issue a citation for excessive exhaust product. just my .02
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 AM

I think I may end up registering my truck in another state. Between the increase in registration fees and sniff tests coming, I may "sell" my truck to my uncle in Oregon (cheapest way to do it, as there's no sales tax).