3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bully Dog Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bully Dog Fuel Pressure

Does the Bully Dog Power Pup Triple Dog increase the fuel pressure when in the performance mode? I have heard different stories some say yes, some say no. I installed the downloader this weekend, and would like to just leave it in the middle performance setting all the time, but I dont want to do any long term damage to my engine. I have EGT, and boost gauges installed so I can monitor things, especially when towing. I will occasionally pull about 12K behind the truck, and I will back the downloader down only if needed then. I have a Aeroturbine 4040L, and Diesel Power Products Cool Hose ordered, which I hope to have installed in the next few days. I really dont plan on doing much else to the engine as I dont want to get crazy with it, and tear it up.

2005 CC Dually, Silver SLT, 600, G56 6spd., BDPP, Muffler and Cool Hose on the way
Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Loco.Breath
Does the Bully Dog Power Pup Triple Dog increase the fuel pressure when in the performance mode? I have heard different stories some say yes, some say no. I installed the downloader this weekend, and would like to just leave it in the middle performance setting all the time, but I dont want to do any long term damage to my engine. I have EGT, and boost gauges installed so I can monitor things, especially when towing. I will occasionally pull about 12K behind the truck, and I will back the downloader down only if needed then. I have a Aeroturbine 4040L, and Diesel Power Products Cool Hose ordered, which I hope to have installed in the next few days. I really dont plan on doing much else to the engine as I dont want to get crazy with it, and tear it up.

2005 CC Dually, Silver SLT, 600, G56 6spd., BDPP, Muffler and Cool Hose on the way
Supposedly it only does pressure in extreme/CL.

Only way to verify is with a SPA gauge, or the upcoming SP Diesel box with a rail pressure display. I know I'll be getting one or the other asap. After talking with Bullydog, I think they just tell you what you want to hear. They also told me that they fixed the P0633 code for the trucks with a grey key. Not so, mine still threw it when I installed the downloader.

Seeing as they took the part of their website down that claimed the D/L stored all your factory settings, I bet that wasn't true either.

That being said, I'm happy with the mild performance gains the D/L gave me. Much smoother than some other modules I've tried.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM

I think the BDDL does pressure in Perf and Extreme, but only when you're really laying on it. One of the things that sets the BDDL apart from a lot of pressure boxes is that it runs close to stock rail pressure when you're cruising on the highway. I know the EZ cranks the pressure up even at idle on level 4 (and I think the other levels, I can't remember) and during cruise. That's why DonM seems erosion on the injectors that have had pressure boxes.

At least with my tripledog on my 555 I leave it on extreme at all times. I can't get it to hit 1300F until I'm going about 110mph after ripping on it to get there. I couldn't do it trailering 4000lbs, either.

I stacked it with the EZ for a week... holy crap that was an awesome ride! Idle was funny though, you could hear the rail pressure fluctuations changing the injector clatter so I yanked the EZ. OK that was OT.

Andy
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by realsquash
I think the BDDL does pressure in Perf and Extreme, but only when you're really laying on it. One of the things that sets the BDDL apart from a lot of pressure boxes is that it runs close to stock rail pressure when you're cruising on the highway. I know the EZ cranks the pressure up even at idle on level 4 (and I think the other levels, I can't remember) and during cruise. That's why DonM seems erosion on the injectors that have had pressure boxes.

At least with my tripledog on my 555 I leave it on extreme at all times. I can't get it to hit 1300F until I'm going about 110mph after ripping on it to get there. I couldn't do it trailering 4000lbs, either.

I stacked it with the EZ for a week... holy crap that was an awesome ride! Idle was funny though, you could hear the rail pressure fluctuations changing the injector clatter so I yanked the EZ. OK that was OT.

Andy
Funny thing on my 305/555, the Tow setting runs the best. More smoke, no hesitation. Maybe I need a FASS?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 PM

I suppose your mileage may vary and I don't have my FP gauge on yet but the truck seems to have enough fuel to use the EZ. I do have the boost elbow from the EZ installed so that lowers the EGT's a bit I'm sure. It sets an overboost code with just the elbow and no boxes installed (no downloader either) so it must be doing something

I don't think a FASS is the answer but it wouldn't hurt to get a high flow pump and ditch the stocker.

Andy
Old 11-24-2005, 10:27 AM

I installed the Aero-Turbine 4040, Cool Hose, and removed the silencer ring from the turbo this past Tues. The truck sounds great now, exhaust note is just about right for me. It is a little louder than stock, but has a deep tone like a big cube engine. Interior noise on the highway is well within acceptable limits, and I can carry on a normal conversation without having to yell, or go "what" every 3 seconds. I love the turbo noise now, but I have been into drag racing, and tractor pulling for years, so I may be biased on that one. I have picked up 1 to 2 mpg since adding the muffler, and Cool Hose . I had originally lost about 1/2 to 1 mpg at 65 mph after installing the BDTDPP, but the extra power was worth it. Since the Bully Dog's installation, I have ran it exclusively in the middle performance setting. Right now the truck is getting between 21.5 and 22 mpg at 65 mph, and it only has 1500 miles on it, so I am very pleased about that.

2005 DRW 3500 QC SLT, Silver, 600, G56 6spd, BDPPTD, Aero-Turbine 4040, DPP Cool Hose
Old 11-24-2005, 10:42 AM

Loco, Is that mileage hand calculated or by the overhead, That would be the best mileage ever recorded in a 3rd gen. ks
Old 11-24-2005, 11:50 AM

I cked. by hand calculator at the 3rd fillup, which it still has just over a half tank right now at 1500 miles. The overhead in mine so far has been pretty accurate, but I will recheck by hand at next couple of fillups. I do 90% of my driving on the highway, and shift around 2000 rpm with a light foot when I'm going for mileage. I know a guy with a 2004, QC SB 2500 getting 23 to 24 mpg. His truck is a bone stock 6 spd with around 35,000 miles on it. Seeing the mileage on his truck was one reason I traded in my 96 F350 CC dually Pwr.Strk./ Auto ( 15 to 16 mpg )for the new truck. Both of our trucks are 2WD which helps a little.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:01 PM

I routinely get 20-21mpg if I can keep it at 60mph. I think a lot of the 03/04 crowd does and I've read about the newer ones getting similar results.

Andy
Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Loco, Is that mileage hand calculated or by the overhead, That would be the best mileage ever recorded in a 3rd gen. ks
realy? i hang out in the mid 20's consistantly.. when trafic alows i cruise 65-70, otherwise its stop & go I5 bottle neck every day.... id be upper 20's if i could do all hwy...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:53 AM

Guys, You 2wd standards make me wish I lived in a pavement world all the time. I've been out of 4x4 only to make the 500 foot journey from the logging road to my house in the last 3 weeks. Tis the muddy season. The only good thing is that I haven't gone to far so I'm still on the same tank. To have such self restraint. I'm averaging 15mpg with all this 4x4 in mud and rain. ks