3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is a box like TST safer by itself or with a combo pressure box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a box like TST safer by itself or with a combo pressure box?

I am looking at geting a box that can give me a ton of power down the road. I dont want to buy Guages when i can get digital ones with the TST powermax box. My only mods to date are, modded airbox,(4 hole, gutted baffles) straight piped. I want to get better mileage and run at a safe level before i do a turbo in the future.

Is my best bet to buy the TST now and run it at very low settings. Or,
buy a pressure box now, EZ or VA 3.1 and run one of them alone until im ready for big power and buy the TST. Or buy them both and run a comination of low settings. ( I hear doing this is the best way to get more power and milegage)
Little more pressure along with a little timing duration.

What im really looking for is as much reliablity, mpg increase, all while beng able to get tons of power down the road.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM

I cannot attest with the pressure box, but from all the cracked injectors post, I do not want to get into that until Don comes out with his flux injectors for 600. I can tell you that you would be really happy with the TST on lower levels. If your not really into modding then the TST might not be your choice then. I've had mine for a couple of months and love it, but due to not having the fass system yet, turbo, clutch, and sufficent intercooler, I am stuck to level 4 or below. I would like to try a pressure box mostly for the low-end since the TST doesn't come on until 12psi of boost.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you are looking to build into lots of power down the road, go with the TST and keep it on low settings. I went through 5 different boxes building a little more at a time. I was told to get the TST to start with, but did it my way. Now I have a TST PMCR R49 with cool down timer and lots of power. I can still turn it down 3/2 and get 19+mpg on the highway at 75mph.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:05 PM

I think I made the right choices before I got my new turbo a week ago. Keep in mind that I do not tow. I started with just the EZ and some gauges. It got a little warm, but not bad. Then, I purchased the TST. I put it on and it got pretty hot -- too hot for comfort routinely. I then stacked the two boxes and it brought the temps down quite a bit at similar hp/tq levels.

For example, in my 6 speed I could run the EZ on level 3 and the TST on 5/7 and nail it from 0 to 108mph and never get the EGTs over 1400 pre-turbo. To me, on a hard run like that, the EGTs are completely acceptable. I ran it this way for about 50,000 miles with no issues. I ran my truck on the dyno with the EZ on 3 and TST on 5/8 and did 395hp and 750tq on my 2004 truck.

Regarding the power upgrades -- If you go over about 70 horse, you WILL slip the cluth -- maybe not right away, but will time it will. Once it starts, it'll starting doing it often. I upgraded to the SouthBent in my signature when that happened -- it's rated at 650hp and I LOVE it.

Finally, I put a FASS fuel pump and an Industrial Injection SPS66 turbo on a week or so ago. It REALLY woke my rig up. A cobra couldn't hang a couple days ago.... *smile*

Let us know if you have any questions!

David
Old 11-04-2005, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. How will each of these effect the trucks performance, mileage, EGT's if ran alone.

The EZ or VA3.1-

The TST very low settings-

Just want to know how the truck will react with which one i get first.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dsteinke
I think I made the right choices before I got my new turbo a week ago. Keep in mind that I do not tow. I started with just the EZ and some gauges. It got a little warm, but not bad. Then, I purchased the TST. I put it on and it got pretty hot -- too hot for comfort routinely. I then stacked the two boxes and it brought the temps down quite a bit at similar hp/tq levels.

For example, in my 6 speed I could run the EZ on level 3 and the TST on 5/7 and nail it from 0 to 108mph and never get the EGTs over 1400 pre-turbo. To me, on a hard run like that, the EGTs are completely acceptable. I ran it this way for about 50,000 miles with no issues. I ran my truck on the dyno with the EZ on 3 and TST on 5/8 and did 395hp and 750tq on my 2004 truck.

Regarding the power upgrades -- If you go over about 70 horse, you WILL slip the cluth -- maybe not right away, but will time it will. Once it starts, it'll starting doing it often. I upgraded to the SouthBent in my signature when that happened -- it's rated at 650hp and I LOVE it.

Finally, I put a FASS fuel pump and an Industrial Injection SPS66 turbo on a week or so ago. It REALLY woke my rig up. A cobra couldn't hang a couple days ago.... *smile*

Let us know if you have any questions!

David
David- What rear end ratio does your truck have?

I'd go with the TST, in fact, I'm ordering one today with the R49 remote. I'll have it next week to stack with my Triple-Dog. I may get a Ramifier or MP-8 for some low end later on. The EZ for the SO/HO trucks are not in-cab adjustable.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:33 PM

I have 3.73's in my truck.

I would start with the TST, but it runs cooler when stacked with a pressure box. As far as performance -- the TST comes on stronger in lower RPMs than the Edge EZ. My mileage stayed about the same as long as I kept my foot out of it for a fair comparison. I track the mileage on every tank, so I know the results are consistent for mine. EGTs -- any time you add fuel and not much air, they'll go up. If you tow, they go up a lot faster. Have fun!