3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Blow off valve question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It dosen't matter if you have a non-wastgated or a wastgated turbo, with enough boost and a sudden let off it will bark. I have made my own setup to try on my truck but haven't tried it yet. But if it works I will post how I did it, but not sure if it will. I love the sound of 50+ psi getting dumped, thats got to be one of the coolest sounds ever!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brockdieseldude
I love the sound of 50+ psi getting dumped, thats got to be one of the coolest sounds ever!
you bet it is. specially when you do it right next to a ricer. i cant count the number of ricers that have either flagged me down to ask what i have under the hood. i love that sound
Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drolex
The wastegate does have something to do with the air going toward to engine. As you said, the exhaust can bypass the turbo with a wastegate. If you had the wastegate open all the time then you wouldn't get any boost. The wastegate controls how much boost you have. Boost is the pressurized air going into the engine. When you let off from high boost with only a wastegate you are hearing the wastegate open and close releasing the pressure or bypassing the turbo so more boost is not to be created. Yes, releasing the pressure in this manner may affect the spin of the turbo. I guess there is still some boost going to the engine, but I'm not to sure about how much. Why does it matter? I'll make my turbo "bark" and see how quickly the boost falls. I'm not saying a BOV is bad. Go ahead and use one. It's just not very important. A BOV might help most in a manual in shifting to bring on boost faster, but I don't know everything about that.

I guess others have beat me to the response here, but you're incorrect on your understanding of turbo bark. As was stated, it is the sound of air being forced back into the compressor wheel and stopping the rotation. I also have a non wastegated turbo and it sounds exactly the same as the stock one did, only it does it easier. I don't care if you think it is necessary or not, I just want you to understand how it works before you post comments and then take a beating from everyone for being wrong.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I have the BD BOV and it is expensive and a difficult install and tuning process. Luckily I have a performance guru with experience with them and he did a great job. I am glad I had it installed. I was tired of the barking.

It does not matter if you have a wastegated turbo or not. On an auto, especially on a built one with tighter tc and modded you can bark your turbo with moderate/hard acceleration and have to let off quickly because of traffic. My stock turbo started barking as soon as I had the TC/Trans upgraded. The II SPS66 just barked louder and longer.
Im wanting to put one of these on my truck but have no idea how to tune it. I live about 45 minutes from houston. Is there a way that i could contact the guy that did yours to see if he would do mine?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank-you.