3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Inter-cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after reviewing this thread for about a week plus, As a customer of BD (view my sig) I'm not very happy with the outcome, even if they were to replace it at this point it was handle wrong in my humble opinoin.. thier is with out question and apperant to the untrained eye, that this is a defect in the weld.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by browndg
after reviewing this thread for about a week plus, As a customer of BD (view my sig) I'm not very happy with the outcome, even if they were to replace it at this point it was handle wrong in my humble opinoin.. thier is with out question and apperant to the untrained eye, that this is a defect in the weld.
I agree 100% and I am dropping their product line from our Online Store
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Something was not right with the gas or the heat when that was welded. The welds should be stronger than the metal.
Hard to see in the pic but, going from what I see its looks to me like a lack of penetration. The toe of the weld is tied in good, I would venture to say that they got zero penetration on the root. A stress riser was left in place, and aluminum being aluminum, fatigued outward from the root. If there was a lack of side wall fusion, then it would have failed in the fusion zone and cracked at the toe.

If it was a good weld, and crap parent material, it would have blown out on the side.

I wont be buying BD stuff however.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Dang it, boy! That's what I'm talking about...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh well, for BD. Gotta do what is right. Looked like a cold weld to me too.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That sir is outstanding.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM

update

Its been a couple weeks since Hector has offered to look into the issue for me. I have sent a few more emails to: Lorne De Lorme and Harold "Hector". I have not received a response from either of them. I hope they haven't run into family issues that prohibit them from responding to me. If that is not the case it is disappointing that neither of them could even respond to my email to tell me that BD will not repair or replace the cooler. Granted, I did not send them the original invoice but, this is due to me not having access to it right now. It is still boxed up with my household goods which I do not have yet. I am leaving next week for a month and when I return I will have a month to get my family settled in before I leave for another deployment. Of course my work days will be the usual; wake up at 0430 to get to work on time, work until 1900 and then rush home to spend an hour with the boy before he heads off to bed. Somewhere in there I will receive my household goods and find the invoice for BD. I have serious doubts that even with the invoice BD would fix this issue.
The cooler has past their one year warranty. Black and white thinking my hands are tied and BD is right. Looking at it with common sense I would say this is poor workmanship and customer service. This truck is not built for competition and we are not talking about injectors, turbos etc. We are talking about an intercooler. An intercooler should not need maintenance every couple years. My intercooler may have passed the 1 year manufacturer warranty but in reality it only has about a year being driven in the truck.
I will not have a chance to pull the cooler out and get if fixed until my return from overseas so BD still has another year to contemplate fixing it. I can assure you when I get ready to do some maintenance on my BD twins, exhaust brake, exhaust etc I will replace them with a manufacturer that cares about their product line and customers. I still have a glimmer of hope that BD will step up and help with the problem. Until then they have lost me as a customer who had spent a good amount of money with them and had plans to spend more. I will also persuade others to avoid their products.
One final comment. BD-at least tell me you are either still working the issue or to take my intercooler and use it as a fixture in my garage. Not responding to my inquiries is even worse customer service than actually giving me an answer.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Seems this is the way they are NOW,Five years ago my 01 (See Sig) was featured in Diesel Power Magazine(FEB 07) with a five page spread plus another update done in a Dodge/Mopar magazine.3 times BD is mentioned in the article(S) with the products on my truck-------no BD on this new ride that is under construction----heck this how they treat there customers.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were to remove all the companies products that have known customer service issues from your store here,then you would have little to offer.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Uncle Ugly
If you were to remove all the companies products that have known customer service issues from your store here,then you would have little to offer.
Dude I don't buy that for a second! There are respectable companies out there selling quality products. What you'll end up with is the elite group with great products that aren't engineered for obselescence and take care of their customers. Consumers will know they can buy there and trust the products. Madds is a good example. I don't own one, but I understand he goes out of his way to help.

Your attitude is exactly what seperates a prospering company and a doa company. I know...I watched the multi million dollar company I worked for run into the ground in the name of a dollar. The recovery is a tougher road then doing it right the first time.

On edit: gotta get a better keyboard for this tablet. LOL.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM

I did some more looking around on my inter-cooler. It is exactly as I thought....there are more cracks. I didn't look at every weld on the inter-cooler since it is still installed in my truck but I noticed another crack on the outlet tube where it is welded to the main part of the cooler. I can only assume there are additional cracks. If I go to repair this cooler I will have to have all the welds redone.

I would disagree with the above statements about other businesses that don't stand behind their products. My FASS pump went out on me during another one of my moves. I called their company and they sent me a new motor overnight. The motor has a five year warranty and mine was on year number 4. At the time I did not know it was still under warranty. After FASS received the old motor they refunded my money and called me to ensure the new one had no issues. That is customer service.

I can guarantee there are other companies who stand behind their products to the best of their ability to ensure customers return to buy more of their product line. I am still holding out hope that BD will at least return my emails to at least explain to me why their product failed.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Admin Team Leader

Well a MAN has to make a decision in life.....does he sell a product line he KNOWS will end up being a problem for himself and his customers due to poor business practices?.... or does he worry more about making a buck or two and say the hell with his customer and continue selling the junk he KNOWS they won't stand behind?

No brainer for me and never has been an issue around here that is why I don't deal with other vendors I know are a problem as well. Sorry if it hurts your feelings but some of us still believe in taking care of our customers and for me that starts by not selling them a product I know will fail.

Vendors have problems like this come up from time to time, you can't help but have product issues pop up like this do to faulty parts or employee issues....how they deal with this situation is what separates the good from the bad.

This is clearly a bad weld issue, but the problem it uncovered goes a LOT deeper than the metal on that Intercooler and that is the problem that concerns me.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Please show me a company that warranties any performance product for more than a year,let alone give any warranty for performance products at all?.ALL of the performance aftermarket CAC companies will only offer you a 1 year warranty,including Spearco.

Its over a year old and split,big deal,get it repaired.I will never understand why owners add aftermarket parts and expect the world when they fail.Old saying should apply here on a modified vehicle...."I am my own warranty station"

I find your whole stance on this issue rather amusing...this is an earlier post of yours...apparently when it is YOUR money we are talking about, you adopt a whole different attitude

Uncle Ugly

Do NOT even get me started on how much of a piece of GARBAGE the EDIT warranty is.

All I will say is this....

Spend your money elsewhere where the company involved wants your business,appreciates your business and STANDS behind their products......Nuff Said!"

Looks like you got it right the first time Nuff Said!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM

...and that right there is what I'll remember when I'm looking for a good seller next time...

Oh...and Banks has two years on their intercooler, but you missed the point.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I find your whole stance on this issue rather amusing...this is an earlier post of yours...apparently when it is YOUR money we are talking about, you adopt a whole different attitude

Uncle Ugly

Do NOT even get me started on how much of a piece of GARBAGE the EDIT warranty is.

All I will say is this....

Spend your money elsewhere where the company involved wants your business,appreciates your business and STANDS behind their products......Nuff Said!"

Looks like you got it right the first time Nuff Said!

Name:  1311101059743.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  22.2 KB

Quick Reply: BD Inter-cooler