3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BD Inter-cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BD seems to have, at most, a 1-year warranty on all their products. They must know that most of them will fail or have major issues after the 1-year mark has past. Con artists.
Please show me a company that warranties any performance product for more than a year,let alone give any warranty for performance products at all?.ALL of the performance aftermarket CAC companies will only offer you a 1 year warranty,including Spearco.

Its over a year old and split,big deal,get it repaired.I will never understand why owners add aftermarket parts and expect the world when they fail.Old saying should apply here on a modified vehicle...."I am my own warranty station"
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to this thread pointing out how poorly BD stands behind their products, I won't be buying anything from them.

I'm sorry that you're getting screwed by them with their inferior products. I can't believe that they wouldn't just jump at the opportunity to take care of you, regardless if it's 3 years out of warranty. It's so obvious that the cooler was poorly built.

They should learn a thing or two about customer service. The **** off one customer, they lose 50 sales. And that number become even more amplified with the internet.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Ugly
Please show me a company that warranties any performance product for more than a year,let alone give any warranty for performance products at all?.ALL of the performance aftermarket CAC companies will only offer you a 1 year warranty,including Spearco.

Its over a year old and split,big deal,get it repaired.I will never understand why owners add aftermarket parts and expect the world when they fail.Old saying should apply here on a modified vehicle...."I am my own warranty station"
Oh boy here we go! I dont care if this product was factory or aftermarket but to say this guy should suck it up and go buy another is insane. This is what is WRONG with our country. This poor guy spent a bunch of money on a product factory or not that was poorly constructed. Bottom line is the poor welds failed I dont care if its a year or 3 it is a manufacturer defect and by God they should fix it. Why should he "expect the world"? Because on their site it states for applications 20-100psi and tested to 400psi (BS 400 psi). This guy was well under that.
"It over a year no big deal gt a new one". I cant even put in writing what I think about this comment as I will be banned.

This red bloded american, Former United States Marine is sick! I will not buy any BD product, and I will tell alll my diesel brothers about this issue.

BD you should be ashamed.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM

Rye,

I'm with you. Poor workmanship and ZERO quality control+a couldn't care less customer service attitude seem to be the norm. Even an OE intercooler has a better weld. It doesn't matter if it is just out of warranty or 5years old. A poor job is still poor. Just think how different this thread would be if Partisan1911 said that BD not only made good on the intercooler but contacted other buyers about a potential issue?

You blew it BD. The best you can hope for now is you figure some way to make good on your defective product. As for me, I believe I will look elsewhere for my upgrades
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM

As far as i know bd changed to cast end tanks because of this exact problem! They should fix it or replace it wothout any problem imo.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

Rye...
I again will have to disagree with you and all here who are bashing B-D for not standing behind this failure.

So let me guess,your a guy who feel that anytime you buy an aftermarket product if it fails beyond the required warranty time they should repair or replace it.I wonder how many companies would last or still remain in business by doing this.I had a pair of II injectors fail earlier this year and they were over the 1 year mark so by your standards then II should have repaired or replaced them on their dime,I certainly do noit think so.

I understand we spend alot of money when we buy/build these trucks but at some point there has to be responsibility taken for parts that fail,so in your world I will ask this question.....

"What time frame do you feel is acceptable for a performance part that fails and it become the owners responsibility to either repair it or replace it?"

Sorry if my comments seem a bit harsh,but,I know if these companies are held responsible for every failure outside the warranty we will be building your own parts and doing the R&D.

Again I have said it once,I will say it again,remove it and have it repaired,its a simple fix.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Rye...
I again will have to disagree with you and all here who are bashing B-D for not standing behind this failure.

So let me guess,your a guy who feel that anytime you buy an aftermarket product if it fails beyond the required warranty time they should repair or replace it.I wonder how many companies would last or still remain in business by doing this.I had a pair of II injectors fail earlier this year and they were over the 1 year mark so by your standards then II should have repaired or replaced them on their dime,I certainly do noit think so.

I understand we spend alot of money when we buy/build these trucks but at some point there has to be responsibility taken for parts that fail,so in your world I will ask this question.....

"What time frame do you feel is acceptable for a performance part that fails and it become the owners responsibility to either repair it or replace it?"

Sorry if my comments seem a bit harsh,but,I know if these companies are held responsible for every failure outside the warranty we will be building your own parts and doing the R&D.

Again I have said it once,I will say it again,remove it and have it repaired,its a simple fix.
First off please dont act like you know me, or my practices. Secondly no one is bashing BD he has simply posted in the 3rd Gen High Performance section about a problem with a product.
Anyone can see the product failed at the welds. Was the guy pushing 400psi like the web site says it was tested to, no. Was the guy tracor pulling with a 1000hp rig, no. They guy bought a product and used within the limitations posted on BD's site.
If you are ok with performance products only lasting a year, then breaking then thats great for you. Most of us would not buy a product if we thought at the end of the warranty it was going to break.
See a real builder would have taken the product back ASAP to try and see what went wrong with it and how they could prevent it from happening. A company only concerned with making a buck would say its out of warranty.
This thread has got 1,385 hits and I dont think but 1 person would still buy a BD product or think they did the right thing and thats you.
I will tell you when I joined this site the list of prefered products and vendors was very different from the list you would get today and you want to know why??? CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Again if you are ok thinking a product is only gonna last through the warranty period you must use some top of the line products.
The welds were flawed and sucked and failed, fix it.
Now for you Uncle Ugly go back to work for BD.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM

I fully agree that a normal expectation of a product like this intercooler or most permanent engine parts - aftermarket or OEM - is several years worth of use. Warranties are typically there to cover for occasional defective product, something EVEN GOOD BUILDERS have from time to time if they intend to produce enough to service a mass market. The key lies in the customer service, which from the limited information we have here, seems to be lacking. Yes, technically it's out of warranty, however it's so close, and considering all the past bd purchases the OP has made - it would be a stupid business decision to lose a customer over something like this. However, a customer service rep making 20k/yr can't always be expected to use the same business logic, even if he/she is trained to...there are always bad days. None of us know the tone or approach the OP used when contacting BD, but assuming it was calm/reasonable, it seems hard to believe that after asking for a manager or supervisor, that they would not cover this.

All that said , and as much as you guys dislike Uncle Ugly's post in principle, he is probably right. The fastest and cheapest thing to do is take it to a local shop and have it rewelded.. No it's not right, but do you want to **** and moan about bad customer service or do you want your truck running again? Sucks.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Well, we're on page 4 of this thread, BD knows about it, we all know about it. The welds were bad and they still tried to slough it off. Makes me wonder where else they were cutting corners

It's all about the money........well, it was
Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Rye...

So ---go buy a new truck---drive it past the warranty,the frame fails due poor welding,basically the truck is useless----you would not go after the manufacture for a defective welds and expect a replacement for the sub standard quality or shrug it off----Your pockets are deeper than mine.Seems to be the norm now with BD.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Banned

Mr Thomas....
I will again ask you the same question I already did that you failed to answer....

I do not work for B-D nor do I have deep pockets,but,I am one who accepts the responsibility for what fails on my truck,warranty or not.If a part fails,that I have paid good money for as you stated,and its not a warranty item or doesn't have one then I do what needs to be done,repair it or replace it.If I could not afford what I am doing then I certainly would have left my truck STOCK and saved myself a HUGE bundle of cash.

"I am my own warranty station"...Learn It,Remember it,Live By It,otherwise leave your truck stock so you can haul it back to the dealers and get your warranty work done and save you alot of stomach gas.

Lightman...Thank You
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM
KKB

My thought on this is that someone has paid alot of money for performance products that should be better than stock equipment. If this intercooler lasted just over a year and blows the seams like this BD should be ashamed and fix it. It is ridiculous to me to spend $1000 on something like this and it won't last as long as a stock unit you can buy for a couple hundred. Bottom line is step up BD and make this right! Not everyone has a crap ton of money and when they buy something like this it is a big deal and should last a long time. If these companies want to charge ridiculous prices like this make some products that perform to the prices that are being charged.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Mr Thomas....
I will again ask you the same question I already did that you failed to answer....

u
Well see that's your problem, their is this thing in life called a gray area. Their is no perfect answer, but their is common sense and right and wrong. And common sense would tell you it's a manufacturer defect. And being able to use your common sense and look into the issue on a case by case scenario would tell the average person the right thing to do would be to fix it. The black and white thought is to void it and make money. Again in this small community word travels quickly. So for the last time yes it is out of warranty but any self respecting builder that gave 2 cares about their customer would fix it.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Good news=Word of Mouth
Bad news=Warp 9.5
"Spock"
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Especially for the effort it would take to make this right. It's not like this can't be fixed easily by them.

In todays economy, the difference in a company surviving and burning up is the difference in their after sales service IMO.

In this case tue damage is done. I wouldn't chance a BD purchase now. I'm out and I'll be telling my buddy's too now.

Quick Reply: BD Inter-cooler