3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Inter-cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Speraco has been great! Sorry to see that happened to you, but this isn't the first time I've heard they won't stand behind their product...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your not going to like to hear it but at only 50psi a stocker will do just fine and you will not notice a difference. Sorry but I had to learn the hard way intercoolers really don't matter until you start pushing some serious boost #s. JMO from experience. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 AM

If it doesn't conflict with forum policy, perhaps it's time for the followers of this post to wade in with BD? If BD realizes we feel their customer service is not up to par it could reflect in their bottom line! A simple email that says "Man Up, BD" should get their attention and a review of the problem. A wise man once said "Good news travels by word of mouth, bad news goes at Warp 9.5"
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM

RyeThomas-Thanks for the heads up on the stock inter-cooler. I was aware of that when I bought this one but I was looking at replacing my stock inter-cooler with the plastic ends on it. In hind site the stock one may have been more reliable than BD.

Any recommendations on where to buy a new inter-cooler? I have looked online but it seems everyone is out of stock.

I am moving to Fort Riley, KS. Does anyone know of any good diesel performance shops there? I searched around the site but it doesn't seem to be any in Kansas.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 PM

There is an 05 intercooler in the classifieds, not sure what years had the plastic ends?

As far as BD I was thinking of a special this year or looking at their EFR kit if it ever comes out but now not so much, not at all.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Early 05 to 05.5' had the plastic intercooler. Check into a Cooltwist. You can have yours fixed. Get someone who can weld aluminum properly and it will be all good.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
A good machine shop will be able to fix that if BD will not stand behind it. It won't be cheap, but it'll be better than another 1k+ intercooler.

Something was not right with the gas or the heat when that was welded. The welds should be stronger than the metal.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
A good machine shop will be able to fix that if BD will not stand behind it. It won't be cheap, but it'll be better than another 1k+ intercooler.

Something was not right with the gas or the heat when that was welded. The welds should be stronger than the metal.
Yeap, it was a cold weld, that is why it cracked.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Been reading a bunch about intercoolers. It appears that Banks has the best, followed by Spearco. BD's intercooler was worse then stock. They did not compare the Hellman or HTT unit. Interesting stuff.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^ Banks was the best after the testing Banks did. (Did you really think it would be different?)

I am not bashing their product-- personally I think the intercooler was one of their more worthwhile products-- I am just saying take those results with a grain of salt.

The HTT and Hellman should compare favorably with the Spearco unit... they are very close in construction.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM

Yes, it is possible that they fudged the numbers to make the Banks product better. I like the HTT myself. Don't need it though.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by partisan1911
RyeThomas-Thanks for the heads up on the stock inter-cooler. I was aware of that when I bought this one but I was looking at replacing my stock inter-cooler with the plastic ends on it. In hind site the stock one may have been more reliable than BD.

Any recommendations on where to buy a new inter-cooler? I have looked online but it seems everyone is out of stock.

I am moving to Fort Riley, KS. Does anyone know of any good diesel performance shops there? I searched around the site but it doesn't seem to be any in Kansas.
In Lawrence KS (a bit away from Ft Riley) resides Floor IT Diesel. Although I think his business has changed some from what he used to do.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM

BD offered to sell me another intercooler for $856.80 plus shipping. Figure shipping from Canada to Kansas plus my time to install, should I accept? What other option do I have?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by partisan1911
BD offered to sell me another intercooler for $856.80 plus shipping. Figure shipping from Canada to Kansas plus my time to install, should I accept? What other option do I have?

No way in heck. I would tell them that it is their fault it failed due to poor construction. Link them this post and start running it up the flag pole on every diesel site you can.

If I were you I would grab a cheap stocker from someone in the classifieds and pull the BD and take it to a real shop in see if it can be repaired properly.

That's terrible, I will not purchase another BD product EVER.
And it's a shame I was sold on the special or calling and talking to them about their real time frame for the EFR kit. No more, it will be HTT or ED for me. BD you just lost another customer and I had a good deal of your parts on my last truck, never again.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
No way in heck. I would tell them that it is their fault it failed due to poor construction. Link them this post and start running it up the flag pole on every diesel site you can.

If I were you I would grab a cheap stocker from someone in the classifieds and pull the BD and take it to a real shop in see if it can be repaired properly.

That's terrible, I will not purchase another BD product EVER.
And it's a shame I was sold on the special or calling and talking to them about their real time frame for the EFR kit. No more, it will be HTT or ED for me. BD you just lost another customer and I had a good deal of your parts on my last truck, never again.
I'm with Rye. I will say my R850s have been flawless and was considering one of theyre IC's. Not now. I'm glad I havent had any issues with my turbos cause it looks like they woulda told me to shove it if I had of.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: BD Inter-cooler