3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone running an XZT without guages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running an XZT without guages?

I'm wanting to get a little extra fuel mileage. I tow a 5-6K trailer and drive semi conservatively (between 70-80) I only go 80 when I'm passing, even on I-10 I keep it around 75. I'm thinking about getting an xzt module, but dont really like the recon or want to mount a commander on my dash or pillar. So my question is....are any of you running the XZT module without guages and what are your experiences or thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks, Dale
Old 06-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should really buy a set of gauges when adding any kind of power, although the XZT is a very mild box...its just best to be on the safe side. With an XZT and Triple Dog on my truck....at 80 I can easily see 1000-1100 degrees depending on driving conditions...

On the other hand, I know of a couple of buddies who have XZTs and dont have gauges....1 hasnt had a problem yet. The other has lost 2 injectors, lift pump, and injection pump....and still doesnt buy gauges!

Soooo, you might be OK, you might not....everyone's opinion will be the same though...BUY GAUGES!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:20 AM

I would still invest in a set of gauges. Nothing would be worse than to destroy something in your engine (yes it is possible even with a mild box such as the XZT) and you have to foot the bill for it entirely. If you don't want gauges in the A-pillar or on the dash, have you thought about the windshield mount that goes above the mirror? It seems nice and looks good there. Just another opinion and option.....
Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM

You could add a single, dual reading Westach gauge in an SRT-10 pillar. That gage monitors boost and EGTs, and is pretty unobtrusive. It also leaves the grab handle.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:23 AM

I ran my XZT for 1 1/2 years without any gauges pulling our 5th wheel at least once a month without any problems. I have since added a Commander and so far have yet to see anything that would cause any problems without it. I do think adding a Commander or a set of guages is a good idea but do think you would be fine without them.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:33 AM

You're taking a risk without at an EGT gage. I ran the Q-box on mine without a gage for a short time without issue. Once I did get gages, I found that I could push egts past 1300* towing heavy if I didn't use right-foot-control.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dale29
I'm wanting to get a little extra fuel mileage. I tow a 5-6K trailer and drive semi conservatively (between 70-80) I only go 80 when I'm passing, even on I-10 I keep it around 75. I'm thinking about getting an xzt module, but dont really like the recon or want to mount a commander on my dash or pillar. So my question is....are any of you running the XZT module without guages and what are your experiences or thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks, Dale
i bought gauges first then my first box was the quad xzt .. and trust me even with that mild tow box you can see your egt's spike pretty fast .. i would never run anything w/o them .. it should be your very first investment .. if you can't afford gauges then you should wait on the box !!! JMHO ..look at my gallery for my gauge install ...

Gary
Old 06-23-2007, 11:29 AM

Get guages, it will get hotter than you think. Stock, really hammering on it, my truck would hit 1400 empty.

I spend a lot of time pulling about 6k and i can tell you that you HAVE to use right foot control when going up steep hills in the mountains. The truck will feel like everything is great, cruising up hills at 80+, but those egts can get over 1400 very easy if you arent watching a gauge.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:31 AM

I've been running mine for about a month, no towing, without gauges. It's always in the back of my mind so I try not to do any sustained high rpms high speed stuff. In short bursts it probably doesn't hurt. I've pegged out the speedo a couple of times. Romping through redlights every now and then shouldn't hurt it I wouldn't think. Even so I'm installing gauges here real soon.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM

I have the XZT and don't have guages .... yet. I will be getting some soon, but haven't had a problem yet, and I have put on about 15,000 miles since I got The XZT.

You will really like the XZT. Great milage, and when it comes to towing that extra power is just great.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Thanks guys, if I do get the box, I will probably get the commander too, I just can't decide where to put it.
I think I'll just let it percolate for a while longer

Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 PM

I've run the xzt for 60k miles without gauges. I drive mountain passes everyday, and tow a combined 13-15k regularly. Never had any problem or care to even think about it. I towed my loaded 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer this last winter from NV up through MT, and back down into UT then home over 2500 miles RT. It never skipped a beat.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Dale you can do it I did. Now that I have the commander I know it was not very smart. I pull a 13K fifth wheel. Last March in the Davis mountains I would go wot on highway 90 for a count of 10 ( climbing the mountain)and I could watch my Factory temp guage climb. Now I know my fuel pressure must have been getting very low and My EGTs were probably higher than I guessed.

Fuel pressure is very important. fuel lubricates your injector pump. Higher altitude less air higher EGT's.

Please do not guess with a 40,000 truck!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_K
I've run the xzt for 60k miles without gauges. I drive mountain passes everyday, and tow a combined 13-15k regularly. Never had any problem or care to even think about it. I towed my loaded 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer this last winter from NV up through MT, and back down into UT then home over 2500 miles RT. It never skipped a beat.
this is the kind of reply I was hoping to see alot of, thanks Dan.
Gary, I like the guages mounted in the slot, looks great.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:48 PM

ok, if thats what you really wanted to hear............I dont have gauges either. Ive run mine probably 20-30 thousand miles with no probs. I dont have anything really heavy to tow (small 5th wheel-jeep- boat) and if I do I just let the engine do its job with out hammering the pedal. Seems to be fine, I had forgot about gauges until I read this post !!