3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

anyone ever run a d-max?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone ever run a d-max?

at O'reilly's today....one of the workers was spouting off about his gauranteed 500hp to the wheel and 1000 pounds of torque with his Duramax since he has a Triple Dog on it. He was spouting off about how his truck came stock with 380hp and 650 ft. lbs of torque.

First off....its 360hp not 380, i just didn't want to embarrass him in his own store where he works....and secondly, 500hp/1000 ft lbs won't last long on a stock Allison.

How fast are similarly equipped duramaxes if anyone knows?

I know i absolutely killed an 03 duramax with a superchips flashpaq....and i beat him with his hypertech too.

I was in my hometown today or i would hunt him down and demand a race to put all talks to end....but i won't be back in that town til christmas....at which time Texas Motorplex in Ennis will be calling my name! ($12 race as many times as you can from 6pm-12am) i have about 18 times slips from there now. I want to go track test my Smarty!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:19 AM

I'd say he is full of it. I have ran agstainced my bosses truck his 05 d-max has exhaust, and edge juice w/ attitude, and i beat him pretty bad.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Banned

Be aware that the new LBZ's are very quick stock and are garenteed 13's with a good chip and a slipping tranny.

You best bet is o out drivs him, like launch in 4w4 with a little boost, and a secaret downloader.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Chapter President

Oh lets see..............I ran into the same instance about 2weeks ago. A guy had a new LBZ prepped D-Max QC4x4 SWB with a BDPP. NothingElse. He kept telling all these people I hang with how quick his truck is now. I never met him, and I stay gone from home at work for 30days, so he didn't belive anyone when they said I had the quickest diesel anywhere around. So I get home, 1st night out at the local street racing hang spot and everyones saying how this guy wants to run me. I said shure call him up.

Showed no mercy with this guy!!!! Everything full on. Beet him by like 4 lengths. After 1st race, he goes, "well man look at all the stuff you have on yours!!! it's not fair". I said I would run him as stock as I can just the 70hp injectors. So I deprogramed to stock as he watched and confimed. Set to O the Edge and unplugged monitor from box in engine bay. To make him sure their was no way I could adjust on fly.

1st run I win! we agree to best 2 of 3. 2nd, I forget to flip on TC lock-up switch and lose by a length. Didn't forget 3rd time and won!!!! Poor guy finally broke down and congratulated me and seemed impressed. But felt let down by his own machine.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:36 AM

I konw I raced an 06 with a Bully Dog, said he was running a Crazy Larry program.

On the 1/8 miles, he was pulling a good half a second on my 04 with the Smarty on level 9. Could have been my stock tranny with 97K on it, but it was still a pretty quick truck.

The 6.0 with the Bullydog programmer, well he wasn't so lucky.

The same Smarty program netted me a 14.3 in the 1/4 mile the next day. He was running 13's for sure.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Chapter President

Yeh, what helps me is the turbo and ability to do lock-2-lock shifts. I run about a 15-15.2@90mph 1/4mi without tc lock switch on. When locked up from 2nd gear on, I drop a full 1/2 sec. I doubt the guy I ran had the Crazy Larry program, cause he was going on about getting his retuned and running me again.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 AM

How do you lock the tc? is it an after market add-on
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Raced duramax

Well i found out yesterday duramax is nothing to play with when it comes to racing..06 duramax ext cab 4x4 swb with ppe afe stage 2 and 5 inch exhuast beat me by almost 2 truck lengths..my truck is just too big and heavy to be racing i guess heh..i did beat an 06 f-250 with airraid intake, bullydog cl and 5 inch exhaust but the chevys are really fast

Mike
Old 10-01-2006, 10:46 AM

My neighbor has a 05 4x4 duramax with 5inch exhaust, afe, and a superchip. He has seen all of my new parts as they were installed and has been chompin ant the bit to get a piece of my truck. Keep in mind i have a 2wd. He got the best of me one night and i told him to bring it. I allowed him to watch me remove my quad box and also watch me turn my BDTD to tow and leave in my garage per his request. I launched at around 6-7 psi and never saw him again. We repaeted the same run 3 times and he never saw anything but my tailgate no less than 1.5-2 lengths each run. My dad has my old hot juice, exhaust, afe, intercooler, and tranny in his 02 duramax and i can take him unstacked on performance by about 1-1.5 lengths. He was probably just taking his crankshaft advertised hp and tq numbers and adding the assumed 230hp and 450lbft tq the BDTD on CL claims for the duramax, that would give him his 500 and 1k. If he has a stock tranny and you have the smarty or BD with ability to lockup you should be able to take him, though not by much. BD's Cl will slip his tranny right into a loss. I know we have had my BDTD on my dads truck with my old "built tranny" and it slipped it pretty bad at normal op. temp. With all that said, he obviously has no idea what he has or what to do with it, so make yourself a couple of test runs and smoke his A$$. Just my .02.........
Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy has a 11 second d max, their not to be passed up like a beater. But with just that mod itll blow the tranny, wont be as fast as he thanks. Now with a tts 500RWHP is a reality, or close to it anyways, as long as they have a tranny...
Old 10-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

well i was afraid they would quick in the 1/4.......oh well....all he has is a bullydog....maybe intake. I'll play with him when i can......i'll be running Smarty on #9....although i think my crazy larry was a little bit faster....but its awful close. I sold my crazy larry to a friend and i'll borrow it one weekend and go to the track and compared Smarty vs Bullydog

as for the d-max owner....he best be ready to choke on smoke! he doesnt know whats on my truck...but he did hear my FASS pump running. I simply asked if he knew what a smarty was and he said No. He asked me if I had ever been to the track...i said yes and he said "oh you must be the red dodge guy, right?" That made me grin. i knew those mustang GT owner's flipped out but i didn't know anyone was paying that much attention.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

You might get him with CL and a 20psi boost launch and then kick it out of 4wd and lock the TC.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 PM

I have an 05 4x4 with power pup and afe stg 2. everything else is stock. my dad has an 06 (with the new 6 spd) with a bullydog and that's it. we raced probably 10 times and all 10 times he would jump me about 1.5 truck lengths and then we would stay the same. I could never pull back on him. My bullydog was set at 130 and his at the 130 (or 136, i think). We both took off in four wheel drive and both had the pedal on the floor holding the brakes. I think mod for mod they will win especially because of the 6 spd and I know they will win a top end race. Our 4 spd tranny's suck!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 PM

I think you could take him, and make sure you call him out in his own shop, so they can give him crap about it all week
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 PM

if he has a lbz(third gen) with the bullydog he is making around the 430hp to the wheels, been dynoed many times, as for track time he would be a high 14 second truck, with a good 60' time

not sure what your time is but if your close to 13 seconds you should have the edge

now it looks like very soon their will be a hack into the lbz ecm that will allow much more tunning, then you should see a 500hp tune out shortly....

now for the lb7 and lly, both previous duramax generation motors, it is less than one days modding and you will have a 600hp plus to the tires on diesel, or 11 second truck be aware....

these days with the mods that are comming out for the duramaxes, one must keep in mind that the cummins are not only the big hp players any more

Quick Reply: anyone ever run a d-max?