3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Another Exhaust Question

Well, another FNG here with another question about exhaust...

This is my first post over here, I was recommended by Dodgezilla to come over here from DodgeTalk where I'm at a lot. This is my first diesel (you can see the old gassers in the sig... which if it's too ling, just hollar and I'll tweak it) and I really want to modify it. I've got several questions... but I'm gonna start with the exhaust ones now.

I know that for performance, single is always the best way to go over a dual setup. However, it's still possible to get good performance out of a dual isn't it? I really want to work on the performance of this truck, but I just really can't stand the look of the single pipe sticking out.

Any thoughts on a good setup for duals (I've only seen DDP with a kit) or should I just suck it up and get the single kit? And along those lines... who is good to go with? Since I have the '04.5, I have the 4" stock, so should I just do a muffler swap?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned

Re: Another Exhaust Question

get stacks and trim your sig!!!!

Originally posted by Bubba_CTD
Well, another FNG here with another question about exhaust...

This is my first post over here, I was recommended by Dodgezilla to come over here from DodgeTalk where I'm at a lot. This is my first diesel (you can see the old gassers in the sig... which if it's too ling, just hollar and I'll tweak it) and I really want to modify it. I've got several questions... but I'm gonna start with the exhaust ones now.

I know that for performance, single is always the best way to go over a dual setup. However, it's still possible to get good performance out of a dual isn't it? I really want to work on the performance of this truck, but I just really can't stand the look of the single pipe sticking out.

Any thoughts on a good setup for duals (I've only seen DDP with a kit) or should I just suck it up and get the single kit? And along those lines... who is good to go with? Since I have the '04.5, I have the 4" stock, so should I just do a muffler swap?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

Single or duals???

Bubba_CTD,

You'll basically get the same HP and torque increases and EGT losses from eihter a single or dual system, I love the duals I run it on my truck, they look great. Looks is 99% of what they are though where performance is concerned anway. We have the singles and dual single in 409 and 304 stainelss and singles in aluminized.

Take a look at our site we have sound bites as well as pics so you can see the differences.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 08-24-2004, 11:47 AM

If I were you, I would just get rid of the stock muffler. You could replace it with a straight pipe or a straight through type muffler.
Spend the money you save to buy a set of gauges.
The stock exhaust system is very good, except for the stock muffler.
Just my opinon.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:26 PM

Thanks, I'll look into just swapping out the muffler for now... I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself to buy a 4" kit to replace my stock 4" system... even if it is mandrel bent.

I've seen both BD and Bully Dog with a digital gauge set... anyone have or seen or recommend either of these? Or recommend to go with the traditional gauges and if so, how many (whihc ones) and what location?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 PM

Exhaust

On the 2004.5 we have had some customers removing the muffler and installing an Aeroturbine right after the cat and straight piping from there. I don't see any reason you couldn't do that except replace the straight pipe with a Y and duals if you wanted that look.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:39 PM

gor to Desert Diesel perfomance and get their mandrel bent 5 inch system. I just got it on mine today I'm about to go pick it up I'll let yall know about it
Old 08-25-2004, 01:18 PM

If he gets rid of the stock muffler, isn't there also a resinator in there? Should he ditch this also?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Bubba_CTD
Thanks, I'll look into just swapping out the muffler for now... I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself to buy a 4" kit to replace my stock 4" system... even if it is mandrel bent.

I've seen both BD and Bully Dog with a digital gauge set... anyone have or seen or recommend either of these? Or recommend to go with the traditional gauges and if so, how many (whihc ones) and what location?

You for sure want the EGT gauge.
If you have an auto, then you will want the Tranny Temp.
and although a Boost gauge is not necessary, it is nice to have.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM

Hey Bubba! Glad to see you here. You will get lots of help with your questions here. If you don't get any replies then try the search option. Some questions have been asked so many times that people get tired of answering them.

Now, who do I talk to around here for my recruiting bonus?????
Old 08-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

you don't get your bonus till he TRIMS THAT SIG!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:48 PM

Man I had that bonus spent already! I guess the baby's not gonna eat for a while...
Old 08-27-2004, 12:13 PM

The 5" exhaust from Desert Diesel Performance sounds great it's loud and has a deep drone sound when you get to about 2200 rpm and to top it off the 6" crome tip looks awesome.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:36 PM

I definatly plan to get some gauges... definatly the EGT as well as tranny temp and as said, a boost gauge more hten likely. I just didn't know who had what or if one of the digital setups was recommended or go with a pillar pod setup.

PowerstrokeThis, by Desert Diesel Perfomance, did you mean Desert Disel Parts? Cause that's the closest I could find. Also, is that the Banks High-Ram Intake in your sig? How do you like it? Something you recommend?

And just for Forrest... is the sig better now? (BTW, it was trimmed... you should see the whole thing at DT)
Old 08-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Banned