3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air filters void warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filters void warranty???

I've recently been told by quite a few folks that even putting on a new air filter on the newer Dodges that it voids the warranty. Heard Ford was the same way on their new trucks.

True? Anyone heard this? What are they worried about with a **** air cleaner???

I guess if you break down hundreds of miles from home there is little chance of replacing the factory air filter before they catch this one, huh?

Chad
Old 04-28-2004, 12:51 PM

I don't know about the stock filters, but I know they highly frown on theairfilter systems. I was told that a K&N filter will void the warranty, if there are cylinder scratches ect. As long as you use the stock filter, and set-up, you should be OK.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday and they have even more oiled filter applications for sale.

They have replacement K&N panels, AIR Raid intakes and will be carrying my systems next month. They looked at me real strange when I asked about this. They did say that if the filter is not sealed properly that it 'could' leak unfiltered air and that was DC's concern.

And of course Fleetguard is going to balk at anything other than their own products.

Plus I guess it depends on your dealer and the dealers out there. There never seems to be anything firm about which way they stand on this.

Then theres my old line...

YOU WANT TO PLAY...BE PREPARED TO PAY
Old 04-28-2004, 08:26 PM

Right in the owners manual, page 332, it talks about the use of after market air filters may not adequately filter the air...not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. so if they can show your engine was damaged by the filter, you're stuck with the bill.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:35 PM

can depend on your dealer as well. some will be cool with mild bombs like air filters, others will void it on the spot.

I had a K&N for awhile, took it out after I examined the turbo and found oil all over the impeller.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
The K&N works just fine as long as you don't over oil it. Also you need to bed it into the bottom part of the box with a bead of grease, and then seal the box also with a bead of grease. --Sealing the stock box with grease is good for ALL filters, as the stock box is not completely air tight from the factory.

My truck has run a K&N in the stock box for over 100,000 miles. My last Silicon number was 3!

I was at Moss Bros. Dodge in the Claremont area, and also at another dealer in the L.A. South Bay area, and BOTH dealers had stacks and stacks of K&N filters for sale in their parts dept.

I have also heard of other dealers telling people that the K&N would void their warranty. My take is that these other dealers want to sell more paper air filters!
Old 04-29-2004, 04:42 AM

I keep my stock, slightly used, air filter in my toolbox just in case I have a breakdown. If something happens, the Edge box comes off and the filters are switched before I even make a phone call... I keep the slightly used filter because a new one will make them think I had something else in there....