3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Oiled air filters versus dry air filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oiled air filters versus dry air filters

I have an AFE stage 2 megacannon with a PG7 and the regular filter. I swap them in and out while cleaning the other. I'm now tired of oiling and cleaning. I want to go to a dry filter but don't know if I should switch to an Amsoil Nano or go with the Pro Dry from AFE. Any comments on how either one will perform in the dust versus the PG7 or why one would be better than the other? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 AM

I honestly think that the Amsoil Nanofiber dry filters are the best thing out there right now.
Scott
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My concern with oiled filters is the fact that it is TOO easy to over oil, and even when you don't over oil, the oil mist can contaminate mass air sensors. Happened on my F150, and known to be an issue on VW diesels too.

I've been looking for a dry filter: Just haven't bothered to pull the trigger yet.

Tony
Old 04-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
.. want to go to a dry filter but don't know if I should switch to an Amsoil Nano or go with the Pro Dry from AFE. Any comments on how either one will perform in the dust versus the PG7 Thanks.
I run a lot of dirt/gravel roads and was also sick of cleaning oiled filters. Last year I bgt an Amsoil Microfiber Filter (#4095) to test against the Pro Guard 7 that came with my BD twins. A brief summary of my findings on the Amsoil Filter...
Positives
- Quality construction....well made, IMO.
- Good filtration; Zero dust or debris in my intake tubes or turbo throats.
- Very easy to clean. 20-30 psi compressed air on the inside blows them clean. Your back on the road in under 5 min. First of each month, I give it a quick 'blow out' and that's it!

Negatives
- Restrictive above about 400-450 hp. Just not enough flow for my set up.
- Turbos spool a bit slower and I get suction noise (vacume pressure) when playing hard.
I also discovered the PRO Guard 7 costs about 15 hp on my CTD, vs the AFE Racing filter (5 layer). But that's for another thread.

I now use the Amsoil Nanofiber Filter for daily driving and work, which is usually set around 425 hp anyway. Love it! I switch to the AFE Race Filter for dynos, drag strip or weekend playing. At my present rate I figure I will never need to clean/re-oil the AFE filter in this lifetime.

RJ
Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM

I just installed a Amsoil EAAU4090 filter on my AEM Brute Force .

Old 04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by RowJ
I run a lot of dirt/gravel roads and was also sick of cleaning oiled filters. Last year I bgt an Amsoil Microfiber Filter (#4095) to test against the Pro Guard 7 that came with my BD twins. A brief summary of my findings on the Amsoil Filter...
Positives
- Quality construction....well made, IMO.
- Good filtration; Zero dust or debris in my intake tubes or turbo throats.
- Very easy to clean. 20-30 psi compressed air on the inside blows them clean. Your back on the road in under 5 min. First of each month, I give it a quick 'blow out' and that's it!

Negatives
- Restrictive above about 400-450 hp. Just not enough flow for my set up.
- Turbos spool a bit slower and I get suction noise (vacume pressure) when playing hard.
I also discovered the PRO Guard 7 costs about 15 hp on my CTD, vs the AFE Racing filter (5 layer). But that's for another thread.

I now use the Amsoil Nanofiber Filter for daily driving and work, which is usually set around 425 hp anyway. Love it! I switch to the AFE Race Filter for dynos, drag strip or weekend playing. At my present rate I figure I will never need to clean/re-oil the AFE filter in this lifetime.

RJ
I would say if I were in your shoes the negatives out weigh the positives JMO. My Airaid filters perfectly for my use. I've always(18yrs) had K&N type filters and have NEVER had any problems w/ oiled filters. Yes, you can over-oil if you don't know what your doing. But what all can you do wrong w/ a dry filter if you don't know what your doing???
Old 04-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. It looks as of right now that Amsoil doesn't have a filter that will fit my setup. The only 6" flange they make is way too short for me. It wouldn't flow near as much as my AFE. It looks like I will just go with a BHF if I can find one that will work or go with a Pro Dry from AFE.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM

How often you guys cleaning these oiled Pro Guard filters?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM

AMSOIL NANO!!!! All of my UOA's have come back with ULTRA LOW silicone and other junk!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:34 PM

no doubt! same here! that nano helps out alot! all silocone and junk gets kept out of my engine way better then the stocker, id highly recommend!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
How often you guys cleaning these oiled Pro Guard filters?
I never cleaned mine till it started loosing max boost. But with lots of dusty roads that turned out to be 60-70,000 miles for me.

RJ
Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Ducman82. You know this for a fact? Through oil analysis?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Can someone verify that part number 21-90021 Pro Dry is the replacement for the stage 2 Megacannon PG7 with a 6" flange? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Roperteacher
AMSOIL NANO!!!! All of my UOA's have come back with ULTRA LOW silicone and other junk!
What's your oil sample interval and silicone level?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

Here's the list of specifications for Amsoil EAAU filters.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_fi..._and_Specs.pdf

Quick Reply: Oiled air filters versus dry air filters