3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket nav help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket nav help

Hello all,
Need some help. Have 04 ram 2500 quad cab, looking to install an indash nav system. don't think a 2din will work. Audio shop says can cut and make it work. Help I need is should go with 1 din or 2 din. I see alpine is the Best of the best, unfortunately don't have the budget for the alpine. Been looking at pioneer and kenwood, Again budget doesn't allow the hard drive unit. Any suggestion would be helpful. Anyone installed a unit on the 04 models???
Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Go look at the new kd nx5000 from JVC I have it and love it you won't be sorry. Crutchfield.com
Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 PM

nav help

Also didn't mention using the screen for backup camera. Jvc unit is a good unit but screen too small for the application I need it for.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM

IM not sure what budget you have but im using the eclipse avn 7000. cost about 2500 new. i see them on ebay for about 1800
Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by nursematt
Also didn't mention using the screen for backup camera. Jvc unit is a good unit but screen too small for the application I need it for.
I thought the same thing untill I seen it myself. It's plenty big enough when your only 2 feet from it. Really you should go check one out in person.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put the new Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my 04 a couple weeks ago. You do have to cut the dash and make your own brackets because of the size of the radio but if you do it right it can turn out pretty good. I like my D3 like you said I didn’t have the budget for a hard drive unit either. Only thing is you can’t lesson to a CD or watch a DVD while you have the NAV cd in, but if you put all your music on an IPOD or videos if you have the newer one you can have the NAV cd in all the time and play all your stuff off the IPOD. I’m not fully finished with my install, still trying to figure out if I want to fiberglass the whole dash bezel and paint to match or if I want to rap the bezel in carbon fiber. For now I just made up some sheet metal cover plates to hide the holes and make it look a little better.

if you have any questions feel free to ask
JW

Last edited by JWillms81; 04-18-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Opps Spell Check
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 PM

jw,
That is a sweet install. Looked at the exact same unit at the audio shop this week. Would of bought it but they "were out" of the D3. The sales man really tried to sell me on the unit. Expressed my concerns about it "fitting". said it would with similar instillation process you used. Is the Nav good. And can you plug a camera via rca video input into it? The reason getting the unit is for camera on back of tt. Oh yeah. Like the guages, thinking of doing the same thing to mine. would like tranny temp for towing, not sure what else should monitor when towing the tt.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I talked to an audio shop here locally and they where rude just flat out said I couldn’t do it my self so........ I did it my self. So far from what I could tell the Nav seams to be pretty good, I haven’t had time or gone on a trip yet to really try out all the function but from driving around town just with the map on it looks to be pretty good. As for the back up cam it does come with an RCA hook up for that. I got my D3 from Crutchfield and it came with a free back up cam(still sitting in the garage). If you want to hook it up at the back of the TT you will need to find a wireless unit as the one I have has about a 15 foot cord. As for the gauges I like them there, I used to have them on the A pillar and seamed like everyone wanted to race. For the gauges you cant go wrong with the basic 3 Tranny, EGT, and Boost, some might say if you mod go with fuel pressure but its all up to you.
JW