3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Aftermarket lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket lift pump

Is it necessary to put an aftermarket lift pump or fuel delivery system on my 06 since it has a lift pump in the tank? I know this depends on mods, but I only want to add 60 - 100 hp over stock. On my 02, the lift pump malfunctioned and made the injection pump puke at 60,000 . I want to prevent this from happening again.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM

You should consider adding an after-market lift pump to the system. Especially if you plan to add a programmer that increases rail pressure. The stock pump is marginal even with no mods. The injection pump needs no less than 5 psi at idle and that is about what the stock pump can supply. I have always wondered why DC doesn't correct this long-time problem that causes the injection pump to fail.

I am going with the BD lift pump and low pressure warning light. I am also going to install a big line kit between the fuel filter and the CP3. Of course, a pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure at the CP3 injection pump is a good idea. The BD pump works in tandom with the stock pump, mounts along the frame rail, and will supply 20-25 psi at an idle; 12 psi under a load.

Other systems are available, but at twice the cost. I think the FASS system is way over priced and requires that you drop the tank to install. Just my opinion...........
Old 03-04-2007, 07:03 PM

i will say that you can easily run the supply pressure to the CP3 down when you start running HP adders. i know i could tell mine was running down the pressure even with my juice. i installed the walbro 392 pump with the adjustable pressure spring and a vulcan big line kit. it made i big difference when running down the highway at normall highway speeds the truck seemed to run 60-70 mph easier than before. the pump will help keep the pressure there at the CP3 but the big line kit helps keep the volume there. i got my entire kit for 378.00 shipped.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks General, I will look into that system.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 PM

I guess I have some questions here. I am running a Diablo tuner on economy and power puck stack. It makes a big difference and I love it. I normally run the puck on stock and the tuner on standard economy. I have turned the tuner up to extreme puck tune and the puck on 90/180 and yeehaa! However, my fuel system is totally stock. I know everyone says upgrade the fuel system, but I havent had any problems, yet. I dont normally run around with everything turned up, just every once in awhile. Normally just the tuner on economy and the puck turned off. So I guess my question is when do I need to upgrade? But I'm sure the answer is get a guage before the CP3 and watch the supply pressure. I'm going to have other upgrades first, even on the economy setting the tuner slips the converter after lock up. With everything turned up, the 47 doesn't have a chance.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

my bd lift pump by itself supports my mods. and i have had it 11 months with no issues.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by yaitsfast
So I guess my question is when do I need to upgrade?
These are typical questions and concerns that we all have. I tend to look at it as insurance. You can run without it and have no problems at all. Or you can turn your box up and take the transmission out tomorrow.

Before I install any power adding devices I plan to build the proper foundation to support any increase in HP. Gauges will be added to monitor the vitals, the transmission will be removed and a new TC and flex-plate installed. The tranny will get a new valve-body before going back in. The stock fuel supply system(pump) is a known weak link and must be dealt with, however you want to do it, auxillary lift pump or a new stand alone lift pump. To kill a VP44 or CP3 injection pump because of fuel starvation in very expensive. Now I will be ready for a power adding programmer. And I won't have to worry about things breaking every time my right foot hits the floor mat.

We all have a sizable amount of money invested in our trucks. Why not use some logic to protect that investment? And by the way, I am on a retirement income and all the above mods will be a long time coming because of the expense...............but I'll get there!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM

How much does the BD lift pump kit cost?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

http://bd-power.com/ram/product.php?...%20Kits&tt=ram

try this. link to bd's site with pricing.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 PM
MAN

Sorry to jump in here!
What BD kit would I need for my 03? There is a few there thats why I ask.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:15 PM

if you wanna keep your stock pump you want the auxillary kit,if you wanna eliminate the stock pump you want the oem replacement kit
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
MAN

Thank you very much!