3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

56 gallon fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the replacement tank loose you any ground clearance?

In bed tank is out of the question for me, I bought a long bed for a reason......
Old 08-27-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
if it's a tool box/tank combo, I don't want it... the 90 gal combo setups yield a toolbox slightly larger than my glove compartment. I like the L-shaped tanks. the only take up another 5" or so of bed over a box.

Forrest
Forrest, if you are getting 90 gals of capacity, isn't it only a plus to have ANY extra tool or storage space? Why get a L tank that takes up MORE bed space, and doesn't have any storage?

I have the combo, and the tool box is definitely not that deep, but it is certainly as big as 20 gloveboxes...I have 3 wetsuits, 3 life jackets, jetski booties and gloves, a gallon of oil, and the lift kit to launch with in there... as well as a tow strap for emergencies etc. Far from a worthless amount of storage in my view. No, it's not as big as an entire truck toolbox but its extra space IMO.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lightman
Forrest, if you are getting 90 gals of capacity, isn't it only a plus to have ANY extra tool or storage space? Why get a L tank that takes up MORE bed space, and doesn't have any storage?

I have the combo, and the tool box is definitely not that deep, but it is certainly as big as 20 gloveboxes...I have 3 wetsuits, 3 life jackets, jetski booties and gloves, a gallon of oil, and the lift kit to launch with in there... as well as a tow strap for emergencies etc. Far from a worthless amount of storage in my view. No, it's not as big as an entire truck toolbox but its extra space IMO.
I already have a toolbox that I'm happy with... the L-shaped tanks are designed to be used in conjunction w/ an across the bed box like mine. in fact, depending on the height of the lower portion of the tank, I may be able to mod my box to give it some more depth.

my current toolbox is just on the small side. I couldn't deal with any smaller. I can deal with giving up a little room in the bed for all that fuel capacity!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the "replacement tanks" I've looked at hang down 2 to 4 inches farther than the stock tank. On that note do you have to modify the fuel pickup assy to reach the bottom of the sump?
Old 08-27-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Mopar_Mudder
Does the replacement tank loose you any ground clearance?

In bed tank is out of the question for me, I bought a long bed for a reason......
According to the web site, it drops below the frame by 3". I looked at that today, and that is just out of the question.....too low.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
I already have a toolbox that I'm happy with... the L-shaped tanks are designed to be used in conjunction w/ an across the bed box like mine. in fact, depending on the height of the lower portion of the tank, I may be able to mod my box to give it some more depth.

my current toolbox is just on the small side. I couldn't deal with any smaller. I can deal with giving up a little room in the bed for all that fuel capacity!
My bad, I missed the fact you already had a box there!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:29 AM

All the fuel tanks I read about that replace the stock tanks hang down lower than the stock ones. I had read they ONLY recommend the replacements on 4X4 trucks that have the higher ground clearance.
Frank
Las Vegas, NV.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:18 AM

I wonder if it will affect the handling of the truck, having all that extra weight on the left side..
Old 08-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a 68 gallon tank in the bed and the 34 [?] on the truck.
Running loaded with strongman gear I can go without fuel from here to Denver...but I usually stop in Cheyenne and fuel up at the Flying J. My range varies with the load and terrain. I get 13.5 to 15 with the usual load.
11 with a big load. I can handle that as I am still going with the traffic and very VERY few hills will pull me out of 6th.

Ed, your taking a whoopin' on here.
SWEET!

Old 08-28-2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Stingerpup
According to the web site, it drops below the frame by 3". I looked at that today, and that is just out of the question.....too low.
Well that is out then, guess I will just keep on fillin up more often.