3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4:11's or 4:56's on 06 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4:11's or 4:56's on 06 CTD

Hey guys, I'm thinking very seriously about doing a Gear change along with Dynatrac in front and a air locker in the rear (and maybe the front also) on my "06" Dodge2500 MegaCab 4x4 and yes I've got a quote Anyway, I have 355/60/20's (37's) The 4:56's would prob be best except I don't believe 80mph on cross country trips will be doable any more. I'm leaning towards 4:11's as a happy medium. For the most part my truck is a 4x4 on road. it's not a work truck although I do pull around 5klbs occasionaly. I have stock 3:73's now. Just wanting any imput you may have.... Thanks!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM

if you are going to stay with that tire size, the 37's, then i would do the 4:56 gears, and yes 80 will be doable cause your tires are larger.if you say went to 35's down the rd or smaller, then maybe that gear ratio will be at your limit of doing 80. high reving at least. i use to have an 03 truck with factory 4:10's, and 35" tires. i use to tell myself that i wish i had 3:73 gears. but now owning an 04 with 3:73, wish i had 4:10's again. i would like to go to 37's my self, but i could never do it with these gears i have now.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the quick response, After reading your exp I'm thinking with the 35's you felt you were geared a little low with the 4:10's and you wish you had the 3:73's and now with the 3:73's (maybe a little high) and 35's you wish you were back the other way. The 4:11's may be my happy medium with the 37's in my case. Thanks for the help
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 PM

4.11 hands down. I made the swap from 3:73 to 4:11 with 35'' tires and wish i would have left it, it does fine dot get me wrong but is not neccessary. I could use 37s now.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM

i know that with my 4:10's it was fine, sometime i tow a bit fast, so the rpm's kept me at a safer speed, i want to go 37's down the rd cause i have a 5" lift sitting here, and i think the 35's are going to look a little small, too much wheel well opening, but i would never do it with out having different gearing. i think the 4:10's will be your best bet if you ever decide to go a bit smaller in tire size. i know they will carry the 37's no prob,but you will be wanting a bit more.we all want a bit more??
Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks guys, and yea PH we all want a bit more lol, I'm just trying to find the happy spot realizing that I'll have to settle a little, Looks like 4:11's I'll let ya know how it works
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

I remember from car days they say bigger gears are weaker,just a thought. Don't over do it, truck is strong with any gear set.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of price are you looking at?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM

with Dynatrac in front and an air locker in the front and rear and a gear change(front and rear) ... Drum roll......right at 8K at High Country Performance 4x4, Inc. in Engelwood, CO. Plus the cost of the trip from Ks. I could get it done here, but this is what these guys realy specialize in. Besides, I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the Rocky's
Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM

4:56's are pretty short gears on a truck with an engine that makes most of it's power down low. I'd be concerned with revving it higher than what's optimal at 75-80 mph, even with 37's. I've got 35's and 3:73 gears, it never lacks for punch down low but it's tall geared enough that it never feels like it's running out of breath at high speeds. my vote is the 4:10 gears with 37's. it'll still have plenty of grunt.
On another note, let us know how you like that air locker, I'm itching to get one now that they're available for the AAM axle, but I'd like some real world feedback. I had planned to get one after my truck was paid off (just five more payments), but I'm so close to being there now that I'm really getting the itch, and I might just pull the trigger a little sooner.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:49 AM

I think you'll be happy with the 4.10's. Plug some numbers into this http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html and you can see what kind of RPM you'll be doing with different tire sizes, gears and speeds. The tires in your sig are 36.77" tall, most 35" are about 34.8". Use 1.00 for DRIVE, .69 for OD in an auto.
So far, I'm happy with switching mine to 4.10's with the 35" tires and pulling the loads I do. They also increased the fuel mileage in town and when towing.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

I changed my 3.73s to 4.10s for exactly the same reason. I now have 37" tires with 4.10s and am happy with the gearing. I thought about getting
4.56s but thought it would be too low.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks again for all your imput, I've posted this on a couple of sites and this one has had far more feed back, guess this is the place to be (not slamming the other sites, lots of good info there as well), feel'n the Dodge love over here. With the 3.73's and 37's my truck just doesn't feel quite right under exceleration and I don't really need to drive 90mph at under 2k rpm. WhiteMule provided (and a big Thanks, fun to play with) http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html and thats dead on. I'd rather have a little less on top and a little more on the bottom, 2103rpm at 80mph with the 4.11 and 36.77 tires. That leaves room as I'm uesally 75mph on the interstate (1972rpm) That'll work, set the cruise and go!! I checked another place out that way and couldn't get ahold of anybody. I have to wait untill Nov 9th as the next batch of rear Air lockers won't be availible untill then. I put my deposit money down to get the ball rolling at High Country Performance 4X4 in Engelwood, CO. (Thanks Brady for your help and professionalism)
http://www.hcp4x4.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
This should be a nice package upgrade for my truck
4.11's Fand R
Dynatrac free-spin front hub conversion kit w/DynaLocs
ARB air lockers F and R
large ARB compressor
All this should get me out, or get me really stuck...
I bought the truck with some really nice additions that the seller basically gave away, It'll be my truck now. My girlfriend thinks I'm outa my mind, but I'm sure you guys got my back I'm gonna do it while I can and while I have the resources to do it
I'll let you know how it turns out, Thanks again for all the imput
Old 11-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Update: I had the work done on my truck,
4.11's Fand R
Dynatrac free-spin front hub conversion kit w/DynaLocs
ARB air lockers F and R
large ARB compressor
Couldn't be happier with the
4:11's. The truck responds much better everywhere, just feels like it should.
I've had one exp with the air lockers. I pulled off the side of the road up in the Rockys next to a creek with a little incline. When I left I ententionaly left it in 2wd and the truck slid around sideways towards the creek. I then put it in reg 4wd, it was pulling me out but a little sideways at the same time. That'd be ok as long as there wasn't someting next to me (like the culvert and a dropoff ) I hit the air locker compresser switch and both air locker switches (one for front and one for rear) And drove straight up and out, very cool. Also went to the Vee Bar Ranch west of Laramie Wy (A friend of mine does some work out there and keeps his horse there too) Took the truck out through some of the pasture and trough a small stream then up a small hill in about a ft of fresh snow. No prob at all, For most of what I'll be doing with the truck the air lockers are prob overkill, but their cooool to have I'm not shure what I can/can't get away with/with this setup, you prob won't see me on youtube trying to cross small ponds or anything.
As far as the free spin hubs, yeah it's a pain to have to get out and lock them in, but I'd just leave'm locked in if we were off road. I know there will be less were and tear and less moving mass up front. As far as mileage not shure as I did the gear change at the same time.
I'll get some pics of the switches and post
Name:  IMG_5556.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  228.4 KB
Vee Bar Ranch, WY
Name:  IMG_5557.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  172.1 KB
Vee Bar Ranch, WY
Name:  IMG_5570.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  198.9 KB
Vee Bar Ranch, WY
Name:  IMG_5600.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  179.5 KB
Thought you all would like a pic of the Antelope west of Laramie WY
"Antelope, it's whats fer Dinner"
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Your truck looks awesome! I am looking at getting the same rims as yours and have not seen a picture with them on a truck. Could you post another picture of your truck from the side so I can get a better look. Thanks Tom J.

Quick Reply: 4:11's or 4:56's on 06 CTD