3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 Ram 3500 RV Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Ram 3500 RV Build

So, I want to remove the bed and build an RV coach in the back. It will be aluminum and fiberglass. I have a few questions about modifying the truck before I get to building the coach. (The picture shows a rough concept.)

I don't know just how much the coach will weigh when I'm done, but it should be well under 1 ton. But because I want it to be for off road use (nothing extreme, just boon-docking), I want to beef up the suspension using an adjustable Air Ride suspension, increase the tire size (currently using stock wheels), and add a snorkel plus run the exhaust up the side of the coach in a recess up to the top. I'm not opposed to running a straight 3" exhaust but need more info on that. Basically, I'd like to copy some of the high end RV features (see https://earthroamer.com) plus add a few of my own, already mentioned, but do it on a shoestring budget.

Any thoughts on the performance side of things (or anything, really)? Thanks.

It's a dually, 4x4, SLT, Turbo. "Shoestring" is relative.

God bless.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO, do it with a dually and then add some stuff to it:

Manual locking hubs
It'll be a little expensive, but it'll cut down on wear and tear in the front end and save some fuel mileage.

Swap the 4.10's for 3.73's
Again, its a fuel mileage thing, and since you're not hauling over 10k pounds it's a good idea.

Titan fuel tank
So this one is a bit spendy but having about 52 gallons of fuel in the OEM location is a win.

Onboard air
Having an air bag system, skip the kit and just bag it. Then turn around and get at least a 5 gallon tank and an EDC (engine driven compressor). If you want to know more about that you can look here.

-Kris
Old 07-20-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of that. I do appreciate it.

I'd really love to have a bigger fuel tank (Titan 60?). The only concern about that is ROOM. I've got to fit a fresh water tank, a grey water tank, a black water tank, a generator...this will be one of my early challenges. Hopefully, if I can reroute the exhaust up the side, it will make more room for some of these. BTW, should I toss the muffler?

I probably won't do the locking hubs, just because everything's already there. Same with the gearing ratio, too many other expenses right now. But thanks for the input.

I definitely am looking into air bags. Maybe torsion bars too, if they'll fit. And what about beefier springs?

Onboard compressor? Sure! Will it fit? Maybe, if I can get a custom front bumper/grill guard with a winch (or stick it someplace else). (?)

IDK, I may have to raise the coach floor a bit more than I'd like, just to fit everything in there. Not my first choice. Not at all.

Cheers.