3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...

Anybody with a bigger turbo on their 06-07 truck just pull the wastegate solonoid off of their stock turbo and leave it plugged in to the wire to the MAP sensor instead of using a resistor or the plug the turbo company sends you??? I kept having issues with my truck while running the resistor so I pulled the turbo off for now. Pourindiesel suggested doing this but I have not read of anybody else who has actually done it.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Banned

yeah, me too. I think the problem is that the resistor isn't the correct voltage for the newer trucks... HTT's anyway. I was throwing overboost codes left and right.

Got a quad fooler but found it doesn't work stacked with a MP-8, rail pressure gauge connected too.

I've found I can only rely on software to deal with it. As for what you're asking about... I don't see how that would work. You're still not fooling and without it being connected to something ( turbo ) how would it do it's job ?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can see it working. The solenoid will still read the resistance that the ecm is expecting to see, so the check engine light should stay off for that. As long as you have a boost fooler, the boost shouldn't set a code either. The only thing I could forsee as a problem is it setting a "rationality" code. The engineers are getting better at looking for more than one thing to compare to, to make sure everything is working as designed. It would be worth a shot in my book, and sounds "plausible" ! LOL
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM

I'm no electronic engineer or anything but here is how I see it. That solonoid is usually not really doing anything until you start making a whole bunch of boost. Then it detects some resistance from the MAP sensor and opens up the wastegate. With the boost fooler it may never see that resistance it needs to open it so it basically lies there pretty much dormant unless I pulled the boost fooler off. Then all heck would probably break loose. Does that make sense???
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, but the computer still monitors the resistance of the solenoid. Just like putting the resistor in the connector. Either way, with a boost fooler and "something" in the solenoid connector, you should get away with no check engine lamp.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Well, I'm going to try it but it will be next weekend because I will be out of town this weekend....
If anyone else has any insight feel free to comment.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 AM

The turbo went back on this weekend and all seems well. I did a bunch of running around with no issues at all. Well, I still have one issue where the turbo won't make more than 30psi unless I clamp off the wastegate hose but other than that I got no codes or CELs or anything yet. I put a brand new wastegate on it and everything looked to be in proper working order but it's the same issue I had with the old wastegate. I clamped the hose off and can once again get to 45psi on a hard pull.
I want to thank Pourindiesel for the solonoid idea. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. We'll see......
I'll report back in a few days.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM

Keep it plugged up

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Anybody with a bigger turbo on their 06-07 truck just pull the wastegate solonoid off of their stock turbo and leave it plugged in to the wire to the MAP sensor instead of using a resistor or the plug the turbo company sends you??? I kept having issues with my truck while running the resistor so I pulled the turbo off for now. Pourindiesel suggested doing this but I have not read of anybody else who has actually done it.
It work on my 06.(ON CODES) 4 months with big turbo
Old 10-07-2007, 12:41 PM

so what you just take it of the stocker and plug it in and then let it hang there
Old 10-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Secondrate
so what you just take it of the stocker and plug it in and then let it hang there
Yes.............use a zip tie so its secure though.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Yep when I had my aurora 5k on we just put it in a bag and taped it up and zip tied it to the frame.. No codes or troubles at all!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Yup. I put mine in a ziplock bag as well.....
Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM

can any of you guys who have done this to resist throwing codes please post up a pic or something. I'm looking in the very abrupt future to getting a turbo for my 06 and after reading problems about the 06's and up with the CEL and bigger turbo i was waiting till it got solved. thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 AM

Just look down at your turbo. You will see the solonoid screwed in to the front of it on the fender side of the turbo. It looks like a black canister with wires sticking out of the end. Just unscrew it, Plug the ends back in, and throw it in a ziplock bag.....
Easy breezy.........
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Hehe...worked like a charm on Shane's truck. ;-)

Do it.

Quick Reply: 06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...