3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secondrate, if your truck was working fine with the resistor then heck, put it back on. Mine worked fine for months. These trucks can be very strange and what works for one may not work for another.....
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may or may not help I am still trying to understand it myself but I will post it and you all can read it and tell me what you think..

The turbocharger also uses a wastegate, which regulates intake manifold air pressure and prevents over boosting at high engine speeds and loads. When the wastegate valve is closed, all of the exhaust gases flow through the turbine wheel. As the boost pressure (compressor outlet) increases, the boost pressure is fed to the wastegate actuator via a wastegate signal line. When sufficient boost pressure is achieved, the boost pressure applied to the wastegate diaphragm overcomes spring pressure and moves an actuator rod to open an exhaust bypass valve. When exhaust gas is diverted from the turbine wheel, turbine shaft speed is limited which reduces compressor wheel speed, thereby limiting boost pressure.

The turbocharger also includes an additional component, an Electronically Controlled Wastegate Command Valve, to control boost pressure. The command valve is located on the turbocharger compressor housing.

When the command valve is not actuated (no current supplied to the valve), a passage in the valve allows the wastegate signal line to be supplied with boost pressure. This allows boost pressure to be mechanically regulated by the wastegate as in a conventional wastegated system.

When the (ECM) provides a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to the command valve, boost pressure is bypassed away from the wastegate signal line through a drilling in the turbocharger compressor housing. The internal drilling bleeds boost pressure back to the turbocharger compressor inlet (low pressure). Actuating the command valve and bypassing the boost pressure signal to the wastegate allows the engine to operate at a higher boost than would be achieved if the wastegate were allowed to operate normally.

Actuating the command valve does not increase boost pressure if the boost pressure is below the wastegate actuator setting. With the command valve actuated, maximum boost pressure at a given operating condition will vary based on ambient air pressure and temperature.

the way it sounds makes me think the newer trucks need more then just a resistor to fool the ECM.. The ECM is reading and comparing signals from more then just the wastegate actuator/command valve...so when you put a resistor in and it gives the ECM the same signal voltage from the wastegate actuator/command valve for a certain amount of time all the while the other senors it's reading..(ambient air pressure and temperature) are giving a varying voltage to the ECM...when the ECM realizes this it throws the code......
I'm I crazy does that even make sense
diagnosing a truck with computer changes can be difficult..thats why the dealers don't like working on them..they dont really know what the power adders are doing...
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Other DTC's
  • Intake air system restriction
  • Turbo charger damaged
  • Intake air system leak
  • Boost pressure sensor
  • Boost pressure sensor
  • Turbocharger
  • Intermittent condition
you could also try checking for a Intake air system leak...after checking for a clogged air filter that is the next check...maybe a bad boost sensor????

Just throwing out ideas
Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 AM

Man! My brain hurts after reading all that!!!!!
You may well be right. It must be something complicated or the performance industry would have figured it out instead of ignoring it. Strange thing is that it only affects a small percentage of trucks.....
Old 10-15-2007, 06:16 PM

Puck came off a few days ago but Low Boost code came back today so that had nothing to do with it. Seems it almost always happens after using the cruise control for about 5 miles or more at highway speeds... Very strange indeed...
Now the big question is, do I live with it and clear the codes every few days or pull everything off again, for good?!?!?!?! This sucks!!!!!!

I'm going to see how long I can go without using the CC and see if the code comes back again. If not using the CC will help then I can live with that...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM

Are you using the OEM wastegate soleniod?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Yes. Originally I just used a resistor wired into the plug that went to the solonoid. That worked fine until I started using the Predator DL. Now I have switched to using the stock solonoid, plugged in, and wrapped in a ziplock bag. It works fine for almost a week and then I get that code...
I'm wondering if somehow connecting it to the wastegate hose, maybe using a T-fitting, would eliminate the issue....
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM

Wastegate hose? You have an electrical wastegate on an 07???
Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM

I have the HTB2 turbo on the truck which, of course, uses a mechanical wastegate. There-in lies the issue. Making a turbo w/ a mechanical wastegate function properly on a truck that came from the factory with an electronically controlled wastegate....
Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 PM

No...I get that.

I thought your were talking about your OEM solenoid.

Mechanical wastegates are "dumb" so they work just fine on there own.

The problem lies with rationality checks within the ECM.

Leave the OEM soleniod attached...use a boost fooling pressure box (an EZ, Quad, or MP-8) and have a transistor wire it that sets min boost to 1,2,3 etc psi.

It will work.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 PM

I have the OEM Solonoid attached right now. I also have a Boost fooler on the truck but no pressure box right now. Where would I wire the transistor? I don't even know what a transistor is......
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM

I guess I ment to say resistor...whoops.

PM bigman and ask what he just did. He got it to go away.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Well, I have resistors and wiring one into the truck on the plug that went to the solonoid worked on my truck for a while but now the CELs are back to once a day again. Yesterday and again today. I'm about to give up and start spending all my money on cosmetic stuff instead of performance stuff. Fuzzy dice, Big wing on the back, lowering kit, 100 speakers in the bed, 1,000,000 watt stereo, etc.......
Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 PM

i was thinking of taping into the hot side boost tube with a boost elbow and haveing a line come off it to the stock silinoid but first hook a boost gauge up and take it for a run and dial in the boost pressure so that it would not trigger a boost code then hook it all up and there you go the computer is seeing everything it wants to and you dont need a boost fooler

so from the elbow put a boost line to the silinoid (the little nipple) then block the next two holes from the outside so the silinoid still flows air to the 3rd set of holes hope i made since so will it work i hope so
Old 10-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Well, I have resistors and wiring one into the truck on the plug that went to the solonoid worked on my truck for a while but now the CELs are back to once a day again. Yesterday and again today. I'm about to give up and start spending all my money on cosmetic stuff instead of performance stuff. Fuzzy dice, Big wing on the back, lowering kit, 100 speakers in the bed, 1,000,000 watt stereo, etc.......

Naaaah.

Just P-pump it!

Quick Reply: 06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...