3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Just look down at your turbo. You will see the solonoid screwed in to the front of it on the fender side of the turbo. It looks like a black canister with wires sticking out of the end. Just unscrew it, Plug the ends back in, and throw it in a ziplock bag.....
Easy breezy.........

Still no codes, #1?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Nope! She is working perfectly right now. I definitely would have gotten the code by now since I was getting it a couple times a day before with the resistor in place. I'm even thinking about putting the Extreme RKL tune back in the truck today.. WooHoo!! Smoke Show!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM

DODGEZILLA I just returned from San Diego 1700 miles with the 100 ohm resistor no CEL. I ran the new turbo to 40 psi no problems. The RPM performance muffler has got to go. It to loud on some of those 6% mountain passes in Flagstaff Ariz.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Hoseman, my truck did fine for months with that resistor in place. My problems all started when I installed the downloader. Something about the combination of a larger turbo, a downloader, and that resistor just doesn't jive in some of the newer truck's computers. I don't know what it is though...
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 PM

what about that low boost code that puts the truck in limp mode? you still gettting that also?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 AM

Nope. That's the code I am referring to. I was also getting Overboost codes but that was because I tried running with no boost fooler...
So far it's still doing great....
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Oh cool I want to get twins but don't have the $$$$ right now so I'm stuck with just getting a bigger single till I can save up for twin set up
Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 PM

i have a sps62 and stock fueling right now and it will throw 34psi and the overboost code will pop in 6th gear if i do this it wont throw that overboost code anymore correct or am i wrong also with the boost fooler in place it takes all your low end away and i dont like that because its hard enough to light that turbo with stock fueling
Old 10-09-2007, 02:50 PM

I'm not having any issues with mine since doing this. I never noticed any low end power loss while running the boost fooler. I don't think it even does anything until you reach 30psi or so....
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 AM

Well, I almost got a week out of it......

The P0299 code came back this morning. Had to shut it off and clear the code before I could leave for work. I'm seriously about to be done with modding this truck. If my stock turbo hadn't been making a strange howling noise then I would have just left it on the truck and sold this turbo. I think I may have just had a gasket that was bad, I don't know. The stock turbo is still brand new and was working fine when I pulled it off initially. I had no performance issues at all with the stocker on the truck even while running the Predator...
There is only one item that has been on the truck the whole time and even though it was not even turned on, I pulled it off this morning just to see if it may have anything to do with this. It is the Puck and it plugs into the MAP sensor so that's why I am hoping that it may have something to do with this all. It seems to work fine though and I had no issues with it plugged in while I was running the stock turbo.

I am just right now...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried the II fooler plug supplied, I modified the plug and installed the 100ohm resistor, and I have tried wire tieing up the factory solonoid. NONE of these work on my truck with the II62/14 and Smarty combo.
Wish someone would find a solution!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Ugh. This is not good news. I wonder what it could be. Only seems to be on 06 and up trucks with a downloader. If there is no way to get around this with the turbo sensors, it almost seems that something is going to have to be written in the downloaders to solve the issue. I too have the smarty and after seeing all these problems makes me wish i had on 05.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Mine never happened until I installed a downloader but the strange thing is that it continued even after I pulled the DL off the truck while I was still running the bigger turbo.....
Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM

oh and being an 05 doesnt help any i got the 299 code lastnight and was so tired i just drive 25 miles with it on i think it is the boost fooler because i took it off for about 3 months and never had a problem i would only get the over boost code with my turbo but after readeing what you guys are trying to do with the stock sensor and boost fooler i did it now the code comes back
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM

I thought mine was my boost fooler too but I continued to have the same problems within a week or so of pulling it off. I also got the overboost codes when I pulled the fooler off. Funny thing is that Overboost codes don't put the truck into limp mode like the low boost codes do...

Quick Reply: 06-07 Wastegate solonoid. Using it instead of resistor w/ big turbo...